HybridZ

Nismo LSD cover part #'s

Cody 82 ZXT

So I bought a 87 R-200 w/ LSD from a guy on zcar.com a couple of years ago and got a great price for it. The only thing was that it didn't have the finned Diff. cover like I wanted it to. So now I've pull all the rear end componets off the car. Before I put everything back together want to replace the cover with the Nismo unit.

I talked to Courtsey Nissan and they sold me

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=38351-P9010&Category_Code=s30_nismo_diffoilcooler

But, if you look at this discription it sounds like what I really want.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=38351-P9010K

Looking at the part numbers then the only difference is the K at the end of the number.

I called them and asked about the differnce and the only thing I really got from them was a wait and see attitude.

Anyone know the differnce? The price differnce is no big deal I just want the right part.

That's wierd that the basic one is listed for early S30 and later Z31, because it certainly won't fit both.

I believe that the only difference between a stock Z31 finned LSD cover and the Nismo unit is that the oil cooler fittings are drilled and tapped on the Nismo unit. They are cast in the stock ones, but not drilled or tapped. I have had both units in my hands, just not at the same time. I don't think there is any extra baffling in the ring gear area on the R200 covers, like the covers for the smaller diffs.

I would go with the stock late Z31 LSD. I just looked it up on FAST and it is part number 38351-P6410, from 04/87 to end of production.

Doug

from the Nissan Motorsport catalog:

R200 Finned aluminum differential cover is a must for any 280ZX, 300ZX/Z31, or 240SX/S13 equipped with an limited slip assy, The 300ZX cover is tapped for additional oil cooler. The capacity is shown in ( ).

280ZX/S130

38351-P9010K Diff Cover Kit (4.5 Pints) 1

300ZX/Z31

38351-P9010K Diff Cover Kit (4.5 Pints) 1

240SX/S13

38351-40F05K Diff Cover Kit (3.8 Pints) 1

further down the Diff Oil pump is listed with the "ZX R200 Opt Rear Cover" pn: 38351-P9010

so it looks as if both units you found were 4.5 pint tapped units but only the more expensive one actually has the fins

I thought I heard somewhere that the finned cover doesn't fit without modification into a 280ZX because of some sort of clearance issue? In any case, isn't there some sort of issue of 12mm bolts of the Z31 to the 10mm bolts of the S130, or does that only matter regarding the LSD itself, and not its cover?

In any case, isn't there some sort of issue of 12mm bolts of the Z31 to the 10mm bolts of the S130, or does that only matter regarding the LSD itself, and not its cover?

the 10mm bolts and 12mm bolts refer to the bolts that hold the ring gear to the carrier. They have nothing to do with the cover. For an R200 finned LSD cover:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=38351-P9010K

This is what you want if you want a finned cover. I do not believe that the first link in the original post is a finned cover. Also, this is a kit, the first one is not (thats what the "K" is for). You will get the cover, a new gasket, oil filler plug and magnetic drain plug, mounting studs and a breather tube. What you SHOULD also get (which i didnt) is a plug for the oil temp. sensor and 2 plugs for the tapped oil cooler in/outlets. I had to get mine from an autoparts store. Check with them if you order this, they should include these items.

the 10mm bolts and 12mm bolts refer to the bolts that hold the ring gear to the carrier. They have nothing to do with the cover. For an R200 finned LSD cover:

This is what you want if you want a finned cover. I do not believe that the first link in the original post is a finned cover. Also' date=' this is a kit, the first one is not (thats what the "K" is for). You will get the cover, a new gasket, oil filler plug and magnetic drain plug, mounting studs and a breather tube. What you SHOULD also get (which i didnt) is a plug for the oil temp. sensor and 2 plugs for the tapped oil cooler in/outlets. I had to get mine from an autoparts store. Check with them if you order this, they should include these items.[/quote']

That one link you posted seems specific to the Z31. Do they also have one for the S130? I saw an "Opt Differential Cover" but was unsure if it's also a finned cover, or just a bigger one.

This link should be the right thing for the S130's also.

You will get the cover, a new gasket, oil filler plug and magnetic drain plug, mounting studs and a breather tube. What you SHOULD also get (which i didnt) is a plug for the oil temp. sensor and 2 plugs for the tapped oil cooler in/outlets. I had to get mine from an autoparts store. Check with them if you order this, they should include these items.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of the issue with the pipe plugs. I work for an autoparts store so I should be able to find some. Not only that I can take it in and show my guys another cool part for the Z.

That one link you posted seems specific to the Z31. Do they also have one for the S130? I saw an "Opt Differential Cover" but was unsure if it's also a finned cover, or just a bigger one.

to be more precise, its specific to R200's. I am unaware of any for an s130. The link i posted is the kit that i got and am using in my 240Z w/ R200.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so I finally got the Diff cover but, not the kit that is supposed to go with it. I pulled the studs out of one of my old covers and will reuse the filler and drain plugs. Anyone know what size the other three holes are in it? I was thinking 3/8" but, wanted to see if anyone knows for sure so I don't have to drag this thing in some where to match up the plugs.