HybridZ

Z has weak crankshaft?

cygnusx1

I think this guy is still pi$$ed about the 240Zs kicking 911s' a$$es in SCCA C Production back then. Curious that he's still talking about Zs after 20 years or so - Sounds like a deep seated trauma .:mrgreen:

Probably cheaper (and easier) to rebuild Z motor 8 times than to do a Porsche once.

I'm a former 911 owner .......

He's right, actually. The 69-70 crankshaft (not fully counter-weighted) used to shake the clutches apart and were very unreliable. But even the fully counterweighted cranks used to be changed after each race because the would bend. The factory race teams would run qualifying with the crank from the previous race, then would put a new crank in before the race... So - Nissan used to win, but they had a very short life on some of the engine components.

He's right, actually. The 69-70 crankshaft (not fully counter-weighted) used to shake the clutches apart and were very unreliable. But even the fully counterweighted cranks used to be changed after each race because the would bend. The factory race teams would run qualifying with the crank from the previous race, then would put a new crank in before the race... So - Nissan used to win, but they had a very short life on some of the engine components.

What I don't get is why is this not an issue now? There are plenty of GT-2 cars here in the states that are putting out healthy amounts of hp, and I never hear of this. One guy who I know very well, used to prepare a CP car in the late 70's/early 80's. It was dyno'd at over 300hp, had a bone stock crank, and they regularly rev'd it to 9500.

When Malvern was still around he told me they had problems with the crank actually breaking apart (not bending), but this was solved with a Tilton dual disc and dampner up front.

Well that's it. I am selling my 70 Z and buyng a Porsche.

When Malvern was still around he told me they had problems with the crank actually breaking apart (not bending), but this was solved with a Tilton dual disc and dampner up front.

Exactly. The later cranks were (are) fine. What was needed was a better way to dampen the harmonics. The early CP racers were stick with the stock harmonic balancers which weren't up to the task of constant use at rpm levels above 7,000 rpm.

Guest tony78_280z

What does that last sentence have to do with the rest of the page? It'd be kinda like me goin on talking about the war in Iraq and then at the end saying did you know that "Washington crossed the delaware in a boat?" True or not how does it tie in? I keep tryin to figure out how this ties in to the rest of his statements. Like somehow that has bearing on what ever else he was talking about. Unless he is trying to make an excuse for how often his motors need rebuilding by pointing out one that was weaker. (I don't know enough about either motor to say factualy.) All I know is what I heard. That is, in it's classs, the early Zs beat the pants off everyone else. And it ran mostly stock.