HybridZ

R190??? Ebay listing

BillZ260

Regarding this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7959938197&fromMakeTrack=true

First off I couln't find any R190 information anywere. A couple of places had mention of it but not enough, I figure they are all typo's. SO if this too is a typo, then how rare is a LSD R180 if it is such a thing? There isn't much mention of it here. I probalby won't bid just wanting some info.

R190 do exist I have a freind that uses one in his Autocross car. I am not sure about the parts availablility though. They are stronger than the R180. He uses it in a 3.1 stroker in Emod. R180 LSD diffs are not rare, buy an R180 and put in a LSD and you'll have one. R190's are rare though, I am not sure what they came in either. The gearing for the one you are looking at on Ebay is very low, I have a 4.38 right now and I think it is too low for me. Low gears like that need high revving engins to work well or a very high geared transmission. I do not take my motor more that 6500 or so so I run out of room fast.

R190s are the race diff sold by Nissan Competition and just about perfect for 90% of the HybridZs on this board. A little bigger and heavier then the R180 but without the halfshaft angle problems of the R200. But, parts for the R190 are getting scarce and ring and pinions are expensive.

FYI... Nissan Comp is blowing out new 4.875 and 5.143 R&Ps for the R190 right now: $185 and $205 respectively. They are also selling new R180 4.875 R&Ps for $212.

The R192 LSD-equipped diff ( for some unknown reason called the 'R190' in the USA ) was first used - as standard equipment - on the Nissan Skyline GT-R ( PGC10 ) in early 1969. It was also used on the KPGC10.

From late 1969 it was fitted as standard equipment to the Fairlady Z 432 and Z 432-R. In 1973 it was replaced on the 432 by an LSD-equipped R200.

As has been noted, these diffs were sold in the USA by Datsun Competition. They were also available through the Nissan 'Sports Option' lists for the Japanese market.

A range of ratios was available, but none of them was a "5.13". I should imagine that this is in fact a 5.143 being misdescribed by the seller.

Nice advice from the seller: "check fluid before fitting".

FYI... Nissan Comp in the USA sold a R190 open 4 side gear diffs (had one in the shop a few years ago) as well as the R192 with the 2 side gear LSD. For either diff you could also order a 4 side gear LSD for about $800 extra.

I was told the the 4 gear open diff R190 was used for a racing off-road 720 pickup application where they really didn't want a LSD up front for handling reasons but they were blowing up the open 2 side gear R180s.

I think the H190 detroit locker fits in this R190 diff too. My friend had that setup in his 510 and it was BRUTAL. I just stumbled across the fact that there was a H190 detroit the other day, and I know my friend's was an R190, so it kinda makes sense that you could put the two together. Not sure anyone cares, just thought I'd throw it out there.

John meant 4 pinion I'm sure. Even 4 pinion carriers still have 2 side gears... :wink: