HybridZ

What "CHEVY" engine should I use?

LOL I made the mistake of asking this question in a post under the ford v8.lol ooops so i will ask the chevy guys. I have searched and looked through the forums, but still dont' know what engine is for me. I want lots of power out of the hole to eat the rice ginders where i live, but still have great top end to play with the vettes. I know people with chevy sb, 305, 327, 350, and 400 for sale. Which would be the best do you think? and as far as transmitions i'm open for suggestions also, i was wanting at least a 5 speed i think?! OH and one more thing i have been reading what some of you have said and i take it i should find a nissan 230 rearend, but what else? do i need new axles? Thanks a ton guys!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even a mild SBC will be great in a z car. Now, everyone will recommend something different.

I'd say the 327, because it is semi weak on the lower RPM's which is ok, because if it was too much, hookin up would be a problem, the high rpm power is pretty impressive, thats just my opinion.

Thanks, i was thinking the 327 myself, lol but also the naughty side in me says you need more more more even if you can't hook up the tires rolling and the smoke will be scary enough for the rice boys!!!lol what about the 400 is it a stonger motor or not? Thanks Again!

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Try to FIND a 327.

A well built 350 (or 383, for that matter) is hard to beat. I like 400's, too, but they're hard to find.

327's are overrated and rare. Leave them to the retro guys.

Eat rice.. and top end! No problem! Go 383 5spd or get a T-56! R-200 is a good rear end swap. Cheaper... and way easier to install, and get smoooth. If you plan on something more serious fast the r230. I have seen guys do it so it's possible. They have my respect as it looks like a ton of custom design and fab skills. How long do you plan before you want to drive the finished car?

I can get a 400 if that is what i want and i want what you guys say will be good. my cousin is a mechanic and has some laying around. And you think the five speed hu? sounds good to me! my cus also has the TPI systen out of his IROC and he said i could have it if i want, but i kinda wanted triple carbs or at least duals,what do you think?

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Do you want power or looks?

If you want looks, go ahead and throw on all the fancy crap like multi-carbs or FI and pop the hood.

If you want power, get a 400, add a cam, carb, intake, headers, and some heads, and go put 500hp down on a dyno.

...and see how long a T5 ot T56 lasts behind a 400.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

A BUILT 700r4 or 2004r will work, and if you have money a 4l80E is a great choice.

The only other option will be a TH350 or TH400 backed by a Gear Vendors OD ($2k).

For a rear end, try an R200 just because it's cheap and easy. If that breaks, fab up a Ford 8.8.

Guest SC457A

i am assuming this is a toy and not a daily driver attempt.

keep in mind the old rule, there is no replacement for dispacement! personally i would go 350-400 inch range. building a stout small block is pretty easy to do. TONS of options of parts. i know some guys with 500hp 350 chevys on the street, but keep in mind streetablility becomes more of an issue(and cost)

also don't forget about a nice blue bottle... just be careful with it.

This thread is making my hair hurt!!!!!!!:twak:

Do you have a Z CAR now?

What year and model?

What condition?

LARRY

I agree with Larry.

First off welcome to HybridZ, all the information you are looking for will be here. Secondly, the questions you are asking have already been asked and the information is here just waiting for you to search for it. Use the search and enter things like 327, 400, LT1, LS1, T56, R200. You will find just about everything you're looking for. After you review all the data, you will be better educated about your options. If you still have questions that you can't find the answer for, then ask them. It makes it a lot easier if you do some research first.

Since the other guys have covered the "I can't believe someone is asking this and not searching" thing, I'll throw in what I would recommend...

I can NOT imagine spending a dime on anything OTHER THAN an LS1/ LS6 based motor. They are where all attention is turning in the chevy aftermarket world. I'm currently buttoning up my 383 stroker to get it in the car and running. And I've got a Second LS1 that is being finished up in Jacksonville, Arkansas. I would stuff the LS1 in in less than a heart beat if I could unload my brand new 383 stroker... The LS1 is just SOOO much more tunable, makes so much more power STOCK and is easy to get to make BIG HP. PLUS the motor is 85-90# lighter to start with... I'm all about lightening my car, so That is another pressing issue... Plus, having lived with an LS1 in my daily driver (99 C5 Vette), I'm amazed at the power the thing makes with just bolt ons and the fuel efficiency of the whole package!

Mike