HybridZ

What "CHEVY" engine should I use?

Guest SC457A
I'm not going to use the bottle, it seems that all that ever happens from it is trouble and broken engine parts!!

i have had nitrous on my z-car for 12 years... only thing i ever hurt was some spark plugs (pump gas and 200 shot dont mix)

current engine has been in car since 1995, it has 800-1000 passes at the race tracks in my area.(the car gets bracket raced a lot) and about 100 of those passes the bottle was used.

nitrous is safe IF you follow the "nitrous safety rules". i like it, but i want turbos now.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of good auto transmissions have been mentioned that will handle the power, but if you want a manual you could look into the Tremec TKO-600. I think it is rated somewhere around 500# torque... but I have seen these last behind some pretty nasty engines! I know a guy with a TT V8 '69 Camaro who is putting about 900 horsepower through one without problems yet... then again I don't know how hard he beats on it.

Personally, when I finally build a V8 Z I'm going with an LS1/6 (or LS7 if I can afford it by then!). But, you could do a Gen I small block much more cheaply and make very respectable power.

As for ground clearance on catalytic converters... The SLP units are very tiny, and the Random Cats are even smaller. I don't think it would be any more of a concern than anything else dealing with putting anything in a Datsun Z...

I don't know. The Random Technology site says their 8100 bullet series are 8 inches long and 4 inches in diameter. Hard to imagine putting in a 4 inch tube anywhere near the engine without moving some sheet metal first. I will look into it.

I plan on visiting a smog station soon so I can ask about how legal such a set up would be.

I don't know. The Random Technology site says their 8100 bullet series are 8 inches long and 4 inches in diameter. Hard to imagine putting in a 4 inch tube anywhere near the engine without moving some sheet metal first. I will look into it.

I plan on visiting a smog station soon so I can ask about how legal such a set up would be.

Ha, that must suck having smog regulations, I today just cut my exhaust off and boy does it sound mean!!! I guess there is one good thing about NE, the cops don't ever check the exhaust

Hate to burst your bubble, but you have the same smog restrictions that I do. Smog equipment is a federal requirement, not state.

My 1970 is exempt from testing in Maryland. BUT I want to do a "legal" swap, at least initially. Think of it as just another technical hurdle to overcome.

I grew up in Nebraska. When I graduated I moved to LA. Kinda sucked when I had to sell my car because it would have cost more than the car was worth to get it registered in California. On the up side when I sold my old car I bought my Z!!!

Hate to burst your bubble' date=' but you have the same smog restrictions that I do. Smog equipment is a federal requirement, not state.

My 1970 is exempt from testing in Maryland. BUT I want to do a "legal" swap, at least initially. Think of it as just another technical hurdle to overcome.

I grew up in Nebraska. When I graduated I moved to LA. Kinda sucked when I had to sell my car because it would have cost more than the car was worth to get it registered in California. On the up side when I sold my old car I bought my Z!!![/quote']

Oh i know of the laws, its just where i live no one will enforce them or even think to enforce them!! LOL you have to love stupid cops.

I have to vote for the LS1/T56 combo - yet one more time. I've got over 15,000 miles on mine at this point and I'm loving it. My engine was pulled from a '98 Z28 Camaro with 3,500 miles on it. It is the 'weakest' of the LS1's but it has been starting and running every day for the past 20 months. It is, however, strong enough to take on C5 Corvettes and lesser street beasts and beat them at their game. It is a totally stock motor making 365 HP at the flywheel. The ECM was edited to eliminate the after cat O2 sensors since the age of my car in Texas did not require the cats and incorporate some of the 2001/2002 tuning refinements. The OBDII is great for trouble shooting the engine - just take it to Auto Zone and have them plug in the reader and spit out any malfunction codes that may be present. So far though, I haven't had to do that.