HybridZ

Q45 diff mount fabricators HELP

jaime240z

OK here's the deal. I'm set on the idea that I will need a better diff in my 240z. After searching the topic, I feel the best choice for me will be the Q45 diff R200 R230, call it what ya want.

Here's my dilema. I'm already planning on getting Ross's adapters and axles, and ofcourse tracking down 4 outboard oem CVs. And I realize the MB ( I currently have a 280z R200 & bar ) will need to have a new bolt pattern redrilled.

My biggest concern is with the front mount. I don't really have the equip or experience to fab this up. Is there anyone out there that could help me out with this? Does anyone make one for sale? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm in the bay area, CA.

Thanks

jaime

Thanks for the info. I have sourced the 6 bolt adapters and axles. Now I'm just looking for a front mount (either for sale or just an idea of how I can make one) I did try searching this but unfortunately most of the older links and pictures are no longer working....And I'm also looking for ideas on the rear brace for use twith the finned diff cover.

Hi,

You can get a solid from mount from ArizonaZ:

http://www.arizonazcar.com/diffmount.html

As you'll see they also do a moustace bar. BTW I don't think you'll need to redrill your bar if it's already an R200 bar, I think you only need to redrill if you're using an R180 bar for an R200 diff or either bar for an R230.

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks for the info. I have sourced the 6 bolt adapters and axles. Now I'm just looking for a front mount (either for sale or just an idea of how I can make one) I did try searching this but unfortunately most of the older links and pictures are no longer working....And I'm also looking for ideas on the rear brace for use twith the finned diff cover.

OK here's the deal. I'm set on the idea that I will need a better diff in my 240z. After searching the topic' date=' I feel the best choice for me will be the Q45 diff R200 R230, call it what ya want.

Here's my dilema. I'm already planning on getting Ross's adapters and axles, and ofcourse tracking down 4 outboard oem CVs. And I realize the MB ( I currently have a 280z R200 & bar ) will need to have a new bolt pattern redrilled.

[/quote']

If you are not switching to the r230, is the short nose r200 really that much stronger than the one form the 280? The originals weren't particularly fragile to begin with - How much power do you think you are going to have?

The Q45 R200 is VLSD and CONSIDERABLY more stout than that of the OE 280Z "R200" (do a search, lots of information 'Black Beaut'). It is far closer to the R230 in most every respect.

Also, I don't believe that the front mount that AZ Z Cars is selling is for this particular diff. I think that it is for the 280Z R200.

I spent about an hour and a half with the parts guy at Infiniti, who has been with Nissan for over 30 years, and I STILL learn more and more about the R230(300ZXTT)/R200(Q45) differential saga that has gone on for YEARS on this site, alone!

I picked up a low mileage '94 Q45 R200 with a smooth cover. Thought it was some sort of mistake or hodge podge of miscellaneous parts. Brought it to the Parts guy. He took me out to the Service area, and showed me a much newer Q45. Same diff. Guess that Nissan stopped 'finning' the covers (presumably for cost-cutting) because it is reasonable to assume that it is much cheaper to produce smooth covers. He printed out the parts fiche, and the internals were the same.

The advantage for those that are considering this undertaking is that the later model ('94- ) Q45 R200 with the smooth cover eliminates the need to customize the lower rear brace/transverse link. The stock brace should clear just fine. The cooling fins, while they look great, I suspect have little advantage for mild, spirited street driving of relatively short duration. Racing applications would be a whole other discussion.

I have noticed that the short - nosed, later style Nissan/Infiniti R200/R230 diffs have more teeth on the R&P for the same ratio that the earlier, long - nosed R200s.

I wonder if the increased gear count gives more strength? I do know that it makes for quieter operation with less backlash...

Ratio=R&P Count

Long Nose

3:36 = 37:11

3:70 = 37:10

3:54 = 39:11

Short nose

3:36 = 47:14 (Auto 350Z R200 diff)

3:70 = 48.13 (300ZxTT R230 Diff)

3:54 = ?

I haven't examined any Q45 diffs but suspect they will will have a 46:13 R&P ratio to get 3:54.

Any luck with the front mount? I am also interested in this as I am just about fabbed out for a while. I feel like all I have been doing is fabing parts from scratch and I am not that good at it so it takes me two or three tries to get it the way I want it.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...