HybridZ

what do you think of this clipped turbine?

From Garrett's web site.

Clipped Turbine Wheels

When an angle is machined on the turbine wheel exducer (outlet side), the wheel is said to be ‘clipped’. Clipping causes a minor increase in the wheel’s flow capability, however, it dramatically lowers the turbo efficiency. This reduction causes the turbo to come up on boost at a later engine speed (increased turbo lag). High performance applications should never use a clipped turbine wheel. All Garrett GT turbos use modern unclipped turbine wheels.

Clipping a wheel reduces it's effiency and creates lag. Doesn't take an ingenier to figure it out. You still have a 1.9" exducer. If you compared the lag to a stage 3 wheel with about a 2.25" exducer the lag will be similar but now it will flow a little more as the bore is larger. If clipping was all of that there would be 600 rwhp 2JZ Supras running small clipped wheels instead of P and Q trim wheels.

Anyone with an N/A motor knows increasing the pipe diameter helps HP and adding a cam with more duration gives more top end with a little sacrifice in bottom end. It's similar to that.

But clipping the wheel will open up the close end of the turbine wheel which also increase the airflow. Unlike the redesigned stage V, stage 3 or standard T3 turbine wheel, the design is same, it's got real closed profiles. by open it up it would hurt much. IMO. Less back pressure.

I would choose stage III or larger wheel on a 2.8L I-6 though. The stage I isn't going to be enough flow even clipped. The lag isn't much, IMO overrated. Mostly what you feel is the slower transition from a larger heavier wheel. All comes down to the combination though. Larger compressor, larger turbine. Clipping is things in the past I guess since you do have more option than just simple stage I and stage III wheels.

My turbo now, I ran Clipped 11 degree what they called GEN3 Ptrim with 50 trim T04E. from comparing to stage III/50trim, the spool is about same may be slower by 100rpm.

In '94 whenI had to replace my turbo, Turbonetics set me up with a To4B S3 Trim Compressor section, a watercooled center and clipped stock turbine.

I have noticed no difference in WHEN it starts to build boost, but it does build faster and harder, with more power on top.

When I go UMS and bigger injectors, I will get a To4E/T3 Stage 3 or 5 exhaust, since I will be putting in an external wastegate and 3" downpipe.

I don't want to choke off the upper end.