HybridZ

240Z, 260Z, 280Z Weight Reduction Ideas.

cyrus

Well off the top of my head...

-Loose the front bumbers (more of a difference with the 260/280s)

-fiberglass fenders and headlight buckets

-remove any A/C and emisions garbage/wiring/hoses

-remove mechanical fan, run electric

-remove power steering (if its there)

-relocate battery to the rear cargo area

-set engine/tranny back slightly (would probly need shortened driveshaft)

-exhast header (GOTA be lighter than that cast thing..)

Thats all I can come up with for now...

Guest JAMIE T

When I was putting the tube chassis under my car(welded to the stock rear subframe), I cut out the stock radiator support and replaced it with 3/4" 16G sq. tubing, triangulated. Even without floor pans in the car, I can jack one corner and lift three wheels off the ground. Also, no cage yet. My car will be pretty light, but the tubing used for the chassis is .120" wall which is alot thicker than the stock front subframe material and it's longer also, running all the way back to the rear subframe. Add the weight of the roll cage, and twin turbo RB26, I'm probably gonna be near or alittle over the stock weight, even using a carbon fiber hood, light seats, no heat or AC, or emissions, etc...

My 280Z with the LS1 & T56 is lighter on the nose than on the tail and that's with the battery still in it's original location, a 4 row Datsun radiator, and the spare tire and jack in the car with a full tank of gas. Even with the spare tire & jack out it would still be slightly tail heavy. If the goal is as close to 50/50 as possible you may want to look at the engine as the biggest option for lightening the front end.