HybridZ

DOHC Progress pics AGAIN

1 fast z

Guest 2slo4u

Looks cool, but I'm not so sure that connecting the seperate heads using sealants and bolting them with two bolts will keep the camshaft parallel enough to prevent bearing damage or binding, especially with expansion and contraction of the seperate heads, even when bolted to the block. Hopefully you find a way to cast the entire head as one, that would be great and you would surely have many happy customers.

Not too sure the bolts are up for the job of keeping the head from warping when it heat cycles. Aluminum grows quite a bit when heated. Must aplaud on ambition to try new things, it may not work the first try but keep at it. My suggestion to keep the head together and make it fairly easy to put together. Is to make a cradle to support the head in. Slip each section into the heated cradle, and allow to cool creating an interferance fit, weld it in to prevent twisting forces. On the chamber side v groove the deck and weld between sections. The cradle should be made from same material as the head so it expands at the same rate.

Just an idea to a difficult problem !!

Guest eric-z
I think (and hope) those bolts are just for mock up and measurement purposes guys.

yeah I couldn't tell if those guys were being sarcastic or not... but that is my prediction as well

eric

the heads will have dowel pins pressfit inbetween the halves (thirds?) that wil be drilled using a template that is made to keep the cam bores aligned. that will keep it from twisting. The head will be put on the block with more locating dowels than stock, Im thinking 4 to 6 total. The bolts are more to keep the head together while it is off the block. There will be a gasket made of expanded PTFE inbetween the halves. its temp range is -50 to +500. its only sealing water, and the radiator cap blows at 14psi anyway. Oil passages will be sealed with hollow dowels, seeing as how they see more PSI.

I think the combination of dowel pins, head bolts and little bolts will keep the head wherever it needs to be. Its not going anywhere once the head is clamped into place with 14 headbolts and 70 lbs/ft of torque.

McAdam

im goin to have to be negative and say there is no chance in hell thats goin to work. but youve done alot of nice work, and it LOOKS great. not sure about the bolts holding it together. you would def have to do some sort of welding so it doesnt leak, and so it will hold some sort of compression

I bet it works but it probably won't have the longevity of a stock one piece head. Rather than the PTFE gaskets in between the sections, why not "o-ring" all the passageways with teflon or viton rings. Another critical area will be the head land between the pistons where the "splits" are. I would also "o-ring" the head gasket for good measure. I agree that the cam bushes should be OK as long as they are line-bored after the head and block are bolted and torqued together. Talk about thinking outside the box!! KUDOS~