HybridZ

No 4 point harness?

CruxGNZ

I have both a standard, stock type retractable 3 point harness and a Simpson 5 point harness in my car. My 1970 had the non-retractable type belts originally. I would NOT recommend trying to use those on the street. The latch mechanism falls down between the seat and the trans tunnel (and is a beotch to get a hold of). The non-retractable part is as restrictive as the Simpson 5 point.

Try to do like others suggested and get retractable set up out of another vehicle and adapt it to your car. I managed to get the belts out of an old Mazda 808 and mounted the retracter mechanizm on the stock 1970 belt mounting point above the rear quarter window. The big plus is the Mazda had the latching mechanism mounted on a metal post to hold it up at seat level.

If you have a roll bar perhaps you can weld a lug of some type to allow mounting the retractor up high.

Just a thought

Guest SeanyD300zxT

I would STRONGLY recommend against using a 4,5, or 6 pt harness as anything less than what they're designated to be. They just aren't meant to support loads in the same manner.

also not the safest suggestion...but what about just wearing the stock belt under arm? In the event of a collision it won't hold your upper body as solid though....

As a second thought, thinking about the HANS style device. If you used a 'collar' type approach like this, but used the collar to keep the offending belt more central on your body, keeping it away from the artery, it might work because you're still keeping your upperbody flat against the seating surface, just make sure to use the proper seat, otherwise this is all kind of pointless.

What are the concerns of tearing the artery (or more the possibilities) even if you don't contact the artery directly. just the contorting of your body?

What are the concerns of tearing the artery (or more the possibilities) even if you don't contact the artery directly. just the contorting of your body?

Well, if I tear the artery, I'll bleed internaly. If the accident is violent enough, it may damage the graft below the collar bone. I'm willing to race the car and take the chance of tearing the graft open in the case of an accident, because there is nothing I can do to protect the graft (aside from not doing anything fun), BUT I can try my best to keep the artery from getting pinched in a not so violent accident. I'm not a doctor so I don't know if there is a difference, but the artery that is routed above my collar bone is actually a large vien from the groin area on my right leg. I'm not sure if a vien is thinner than an actual artery and can be damaged more easily... I guess I'll have to talk to my Surgeon about that tommorow.

I'm positive I will install a stock 3-point seatbelt along with a 5-point for my seat like VRJoe first said and you guys have also said. It will just make things easier. I just need to figure out a safe way to keep that artery from being damaged. I wasn't able to look at any sports equipment tonight, because I was helping out with my cage install.

!M!

Find a local motorcycle shop that supports race bikes and ask them who makes custom jackets. The jacket will have to fit tightly so that it won't move while you're wearing it. They can make a jacket that will make it safe to wear a 4/5 harness. As to cost, I rate it like a helmet, what's you brain worth. In your case what is it worth to race your car and not have to worry about popping an artery or ripping a graft. As a side benefit, once you've had the jacket made for a pretty penny you'll have a great reason to stay in shape and avoid gaining any weight :-D

When you find a leather jacket maker they should be able to hook you up, not cheap, but better then internal bleeding. Picture a jacket with a roll of padding on each side of the area to be protected. On top of the rolls is hard shell cover creating a cavity over the artery and graft. It can be made so that it follows the belt, that way the pressure would be evenly distributed. Once it's made you could show it to your Dr. and tell them who made it. That way if some else is "nuts" they can send them to the right people. Heck, if you get the right tailor they could make a full chest protector and put the zipper on the side. Years ago I saw some really creative padding on leather racing jackets for a guy who had nerve damage, so I know it can be done.

Just search until you find the right guy and don't spare the pennies. We kind of like keeping members around and we'd hate to loose somebody for the sake of pennies. Matter of fact we might just get a little cranky. :emo:

- Joe

Matt,

Well i really cant help you out with harness issue buddy but i can tell you that you dont have to worry about GLD tech. To be honest with that hillbilly sp track NHRA dont mean s##t :) you just bring your $25 and thats all the tech inspection that you need lol. From several times that i have raced there i dont remember poping my hood single time for tech lol.

Ivan

VRJoe is right, and I am still thinking a jacket is best. While you are having it made, you might as well get removable sleeves and stuff like that for summer. Seriously! You can also then be a safe passenger and wear your jacket when you are in someone else's car.

I can't believe you never wear a belt in another car!

And if you say your luck isn't the greatest, then I would do what it takes to get this right. No one here wants to be the guy that asks... anyone heard from Matt lately?

Good luck and be safe. I'll keep my eyes open for ideas.

Hey Mat. Sorry to hear about your dilema. I guess when ever I start to feel sorry for myself with past injuries, like my knee, I just have to talk to you!

The only thing I can come up with that I didn't see mentioned anywhere was shoulder harness pads. I have seen them come in different thicknesses, or you could maybe put two on on strap? Here's one that I could find:

http://www.racerwholesale.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=177