HybridZ

Urgent Engine Advice Please - About to part with $$$

Hi Guys,

My car is coming on really well and now is the time to put an engine in. The choice has always been LS6 as advised by many but .......

I have come across a 2002 LS1 engine with everything, new pumps, new belts etc etc that has done less than 5000 miles that I can have for $6-7K. The guy selling it builds high spec engines and has never run this - he says he was told before it came out it had a little "cold slap" which obviously goes away when warm.

He has agreed that if I am not totally happy with it he will refund the money against a custom engine which will be built from the ground up using LS1 / LS6 components and will cost $14k.

The reason for the question is that I have precious little Chevy V8 experience, there are very very few in the UK so I have nothing to go on :

Is the 2002 LS1 a decent engine ?

Is a custom built engine using LS1 / LS6 components going to be as good as a standard LS6 ? I think I am a little bit hooked up on having "the latest" and am prepared to be corrected.

He claims the reason he custom builds is because for the same money as a stock motor he can put in uprated main bearings, springs etc etc but the big thing is that an LS6 triggers differently and cannot use aftermarket ECU's in the same way. He is suggesting Motec or DTA ECU for launch and traction control with sensors on the wheels.

Is this right ?

I am going tomorrow morning so would be very grateful for any prompt responses with pointers etc.

Many Thanks

Andy F

What are you planning on doing with the car? I mean...what are your ultimate HP goals? Or...are there any HP goals? It almost sounds like (and this is in no way meant to be an offense) you just like having the bells and whistles more than the actual power.

Just watching a few videos of a V8Z will show that it doesn't take much to overpower the car.

As far as your questions go:

The LS1 is a great motor!! I *believe* Darius has an 383ci LS1 (supercharged) in his Z and judging from the videos of his car doubt it could handle any more power...it can't even handle the power he has in it now.

Maybe I'm naive..but...$14k sounds like alot of money to me to put into an engine unless you put the same amount into tubbing your rear end and redoing your suspension/brakes/frame.

I agree....you bloke's prices are very high. I bet you could buy an Ls1 with gearbox (or transmission, depending on what you want) from the States and have it shipped airfreight to the UK and still be quids ahead.

I think that you could find a decent, low mile pullout from a yard here for between $3k and $4k and spend about $800 to ship. THat leaves you another $2-3k ahead. You do not need an aftermarket ECU, unless you want all the bells and whistles, like launch control, NO2 control etc, but you can likely get standalone systems to do all that. The OEM computer can be tuned and editted easily.

Tim

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

Pointers much appreciated.

I am looking for 4 -450BHP and the same ft lbs of torque, I do not want a car so powerful that it is intractable - I want it to behave well at low speeds and in traffic and go like stink when driven hard.

The price thing is an issue, they are at a premium here because they are so few and far between but you are right, I checked Scoggin Dickey and can buy new for very little difference in money. Will check out the other sites mentioned.

One thing I have been told (forgive my ignorance) is that the LS^ will not run with anything other than the standard ECU......is that right ? DO I need an aftermarket one ? I have been sold the idea that Motec and DTA are the best because they allow you to adjust and tune each cylinder individually.

Is that necessary ? Would a "standard" Corvette ECU work well ? Cannot see why it wouldn't.

I know these are basic questions but please forgive me, there is sweet bugger all to go on over here other than what you read on the web. Very few people really know what they are talking about when it comes to Chevy V8s over here.

Many Thanks

Andy F

Maybe I'm naive..but...$14k sounds like alot of money to me to put into an engine unless you put the same amount into tubbing your rear end and redoing your suspension/brakes/frame.

Not completed yet but this has mounted up and will now be close to a $60K build without the engine, suspension is Ohlins, brakes AP Racing, adjustable control arms, Work wheels from Japan, heated screen, full leather trim, NISMO R200 diff, carbon fibre, centre fuel tank, cage, etc etc

THis is not a drag car, I want a very very fast, tractable, road car.

I understand all of this except anything to do with Chevy V8s so am glad of the help and guidance. What I really need is someone to say "here you are, complete engine, box with all ancilliaries" to give 400BHP+, lots of torque delivered low down the rev range, crisp response, fairly high revving (6-7,500) mated with a decent 6 speed box (T-56 looking the choice).

Any more ideas please ???

Many Thanks

Andy

Indeed :-)

Great plan :-)

Still leaves me not really knowing what to buy...... Scoggin Dickey have an LS6 longblock @ $7,295, clutch and flywheel @ $349 and T56 close ratio box @ $6,4xx as opposed to half that much for a standard T56

so for $14K I could get engine, clutch and box, just have to add shipping and duty. UK quote for the same added up to c$20K cannot see shipping and duty costing $6K and it would be brand new.

SImply because (hanging head in shame) I know rat sh*t about Chevy engines and we have no junk yard pullouts here - corvettes are very few and far between.

The exchange rate makes buying stateside very cost effective for us right now and I will have a glass blasted, totally rebuilt and strengthened, freshly painted 1971 shell with total new floor and chassis and brand new :

suspension

control arms

brakes

wheels

tyres

seats

lights

trim

wiring loom (yes...brand new custom made)

clocks

etc etc

Just thought if I had a new engine and box I would have a car that would last me years, I have no intention of ever selling this one. If I could find a complete LS6 and T56 used for very little money I would go for it but they simply do not exist here.

Unless someone can point me to one ...............

ZheadV8,

I don't know if you get Super Chevy Magazine across the big pond, but the May 2005 issue (Volume 34 No. 5) is full of articles about transplanting gen III (LS1, LS6, etc) small blocks into older cars.

There are several companies which sell aftermarket wiring harnesses to make installation more simple. Edelbrock even makes an intake manifold and wiring kit which allows using a carburetor, which makes installation even more simple.

I personally love the gen III small blocks. They have enormous potential! Whether or not this particular engine is the right one for you I cannot say... Price sounds a bit high... but I'm sure the price in the UK is different than it is over in the States.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers!

Thanks guys,

Yes the Holden Monaro is LS1 equipped but they have only been released here within the last year and very few have been sold so they are still like rocking horse sh*t to find in a dismantlers but it's a great idea I had not thought of.

Unfortunately Tim I do not know anyone in the States really so am kind of blind when it comes to buying used stuff.

Have never seen Super Chevy but it will be a mine of information thanks, will find it on the web and order a copy of May's issue.

ANyway, just leaving to look at the used LS1 engine.....cannot help thinking for 2 - 3 thousand dollars more I should be looking at a new LS6 longblock from Scoggin Dickey

Thanks Deep,

I wasn't but I am now I have done a huge amount of staring at the web :-) STill not entirely sure what shopping list I need on top of a long block engine.

Upshot is I visited the guy today, engine was clean, evidently fairly new and he wanted approx $7,500 for it (LS1 remember, 5000 miles) but it had all coil packs, manifolds, pumps, headers etc, basically complete.

I pointed out that I could buy a new engine, ancilliaries AND T56 for about $10,000 dollars plus shipping and import taxes here (6% then additional 17.5%) and offered $4000 - he is "thinking about it".

If I order a new engine it will be an LS6 but there are so many ancilliary combinations I am not sure what I need that will actually fit. There seem to be different items that are interchangeable, corvette, camaro etc. Can anyone please enlighten me on what I need that will be a drop in fit for :

alternator

sump

the whole front end basically

I would order the lot in one go from Scoggin Dickey with a gearbox and ECU.

Incidentally, the LS6 longblock at SD is $7,200 - I spoke to the dealers that sell Holdens here (Badged Vauxhall Monaro) and they can supply me an LS engine but no one knows whether they are 1s or 6s The Monaro long block engine is $9,900 plus 17.5% tax steep or what ??

A shopping list to add to the longblock LS6, clutch / flywheel and gearbox would be gratefully received - also what sump ? I have seen big wing, corvette, camaro, all sorts and have no idea what will fit.

Many Thanks

Andy F