HybridZ

Urgent Engine Advice Please - About to part with $$$

Hey Andy good to see you here :)

Big up the Z Club of Great Britain http://www.zclub.net :D

I remember you said you could do a v8 z for little or big money depending on the route you took, looks like you took the right one! Same way I'm headed in the next couple years I hope!

Anyway best of luck, looks like these guys know their stuff :D

So when are we going to see some pictures?

SImply because (hanging head in shame) I know rat sh*t about Chevy engines and we have no junk yard pullouts here - corvettes are very few and far between.

The exchange rate makes buying stateside very cost effective for us right now and I will have a glass blasted' date=' totally rebuilt and strengthened, freshly painted 1971 shell with total new floor and chassis and brand new :

suspension

control arms

brakes

wheels

tyres

seats

lights

trim

wiring loom (yes...brand new custom made)

clocks

etc etc

Just thought if I had a new engine and box I would have a car that would last me years, I have no intention of ever selling this one. If I could find a complete LS6 and T56 used for very little money I would go for it but they simply do not exist here.

Unless someone can point me to one ...............[/quote']

Use the camaro oil pan, the corvette winged one wont fit, and the truck pan is too deep. For what it's worth, there is not alot of difference between the LS1 and the LS6. The LS6 block is a refinded version of the LS1, and has better heads. There is no difference in the way the 2 trigger and the sensors are the same (he's confusing the LS2 with the LS6). Please visit www.LS1tech.com and do a little looking around. There are a couple of UK guys over there. If your looking for bolt on headers that fit then the only game in town is JTR. They also have a good cooling solution. Speartech makes great custom harnesses.

Hey, if money is no object then go for the LS7 in mid summer! It's a 427 small block at the 500 hp mark!

Guest zeeman1972

Hi ZHeadV8,

I'm currently importing an LS1 and T56 from a 2002 Firebird TA to the UK to perform a similar upgrade to yourself. I found my engine in a dismantlers in Oklahoma which I can give you the details on if you are interested?

I don't know if you have looked into the mounts for the engine/Gbox at all but I can recomend John's Cars Inc www.brokenkitty.com. I have the mounts here already and although only dry run fitted without the engine (still on the ocean) they look to clear the RHD steering rack with ease, the headers currently made by JTR and John's Cars don't seem to however.

I'm also a Member of the Zclub UK (same user name if you want to drop me a line there)

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for the pointers guys, Tim has also offered some help so I am getting all warm and fuzzy that this is going to work !

All the contacts will be seriously useful, particularly LS1 tech and contact with Zeeman (already speak to Russ). Steve, I was originally looking at an iron block engine and the JTR stuff but need to order the John's cars kit. I would be grateful if I could come and check it out before I place my order.....

RussUK - WELCOME AND HELLO !!!! Russ is the web guru of my own club in the UK http://www.zclub.net, mighty fine bloke and another V8 convert in waiting.

Pics are a way off because I am having a site built to show them all, the car is currently being bare shelled, TOTALLY stitch welded and having the bulkhead taken out and a "proper" one put in. :-) I have ordered everything, the wheels, suspension, brakes, seats, arches ............ remember the Swedish car .............?????

It should take about 6 months to get it in one piece but I need the engine and box now for the first trial fit and bracket weld for the box before painting.

Why do you guys have your steering wheels on that side anyway ? It's just not cricket :-) Costs us a fortune to put right when we import SoCal cars :-)

Will keep you posted on progress.

Many Thanks

Andy F

Why do you guys have your steering wheels on that side anyway ? It's just not cricket :-) Costs us a fortune to put right when we import SoCal cars :-)

I once heard a rumor our colonial forefathers did it just to piss you guys off. I am not sure if that is true, but it is honestly what I was once told in grade school.

Guest zeeman1972

Andy,

You are most welcome to have a look at the mounts, I also have 'LS1 edit' the PCM tuning and management software if you want to have a look at that too.

I too was originally looking to go the JTR route with an old 350 iron block, but in the back of my mind was a crazy idea to use a modern lighter V8.

Having had a fair number of V8's in various American cars and trucks, running all sorts of different engine tunes, one of the most driveable was a fuel injected 350 tpi Trans-Am GTA, not the most powerful though granted. Then having my brother who lives in Tulsa OK bang on to me about his 35th Anniversary Trans-Am with its LS1 got me seriously thinking about it again.

After finding this here forum and spending many an evening reading through the threads whilst getting berated by my wife for ‘being on that bloody computer again’ my decision was made; LS1 or bust (or should that be broke! )

I would also appreciate a chance to chat as I would love to know where you sourced your shell from, upon a really arduous inspection, neither of my 260Z's are really up for the task! I’m now looking at a much more reliable base for my project (oh no, scope creep has already set in and I haven't even got the engine out of the crate!! ). I'm even thinking of taking the easy (well easier) route and keeping it LHD to ease the conversion, I remain to be convinced either way on that one.

All the best

Steve

Nice one Pop N Wood :-)

Two great nations seperated by the same language and .... steering wheels ! Made me laugh.

Steve,

Will PM you with my mobile number, would be good to talk and get the V8 thing rolling in the UK - there are several people talking about it now so I am hopeful we will be starting a trend. Remember how much flak I got on http://www.zclub.net from the purists (or should that be puritans) for daring to suggest a V* in a Z ??

Hi Alan,

Good to see you :-) Not a lot gets past the count does it ?

I was mainly thinking of Sean's vitriolic fiery sermons on the evil path of anything other than a straight six :-)

I will find out next week if the guy will accept my offer on the LS1 engine, if not I have had kind offers of help from members here to find a good one in the US.