HybridZ

Remember the "Serious a$$ 240z Turbo on eBay"?

zeeboost

Here's the original auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4532699117&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

This car was an AWESOME deal. It came with a TON of parts:

-- GC Coilovers, Tokico 5-way Adj. suspension; fully adj. control arms from Arizonazcar

-- Wilwood 4 piston calipers with 12" rotors front AND rear conversion

-- Autometer Ultralite guages

-- Electric Waterpump

-- Tec2

The list goes on and on

-- Replace the Aeromotive RRFPR, which doesn't like to raise the fuel pressure level with boost after it warms up.

-- Running a bit rich, so it could use some tuning.

Im wondering if the person selling the car ever told you why he was selling the car?

He told me that he was selling it because he was about to get seriously involved with business, and not have enough time for the car. I still have some brand new floorpans and original 240z components I need to pick up.

Guest Chris240turbo

That car was a STEAL at $6500, from what I can see it has at least double that dollar figure in parts alone, prolly closer to 3x, not to mention labor and KNOWLEDGE putting it together, wanna make a quick profit? I'd be interested, and should have gone to check it out, since it was here in the same city...

as an aside, I don't think that aeromotive ever made a rising rate regulator, they do however make a boost referenced regulator, rises 1:1 with boost, to keep fuel pressure constant at the injector, same one I've been running for 2+ years, if you could post a pic, I'd know for sure. sounds like he went through the same BS as I did trying to make the stock fuel tank work with a very high flow injection set up, I finally went to a cell.

great buy, and the owner got his wish, she went to an enthusiast!!!

Guest bastaad525

ugh... okay please don't flame me for saying this... not trying to get all zcar.com up in this thread, but uh... that body is BE-U-T-FULL... I know it's a '72 and not the supposedly much more collectible and valuable '70-71... but damn... hearing you're going to put a widebody kit on it almost brings a tear to my eye :( I mean it is just SO friggin clean, that's a car I would almost treat like a show car maybe only driving on sundays... yeah so the motor already isn't stock anymore so it can be a FAST sunday car but do you HAVE to put a widebody on there? Looks REALLY great as it is....

Chris240Turbo - It is a boost referenced regulator, I just always considered it an RRFPR -- it does raise the fuel pressure 1:1 with the boost.

bastaad525 - I know what you mean -- I always think about that too. Even though I love the look of the widebody, that car is just SOOO clean to do that. I really can't afford another Z project to put the widebody on, but I may just put it off until I get out of college and settle down with a decent job. Who knows...only time (and money) will decide.

Guest Chris240turbo

if thats the A1000 regulator, they don't get much better than that, I'd be looking at possible fuel starvation, I could never get the stock tank to work worth a damn, a fuel cell cured lots of tuning problems with my set up, the stock feed line is tiny (5/16 ?) with no internal baffling, later 280z tanks are baffled, with a little larger feed line, but I couldn't find the correct year tank (seems like 75-76 tanks are the only ones that work, IIRC) that wasn't all rusty...

The problem that I've been having is that when the regulator heats up, it doesn't want to raise the fuel pressure with the boost, so it leans out and starves itself. Which, it does work fine when cold (110-135*), but when it heats up to around 150* or higher, that's when it'll start acting up. I'm HOPING this is the problem. So I take it you really haven't had any problems with yours, huh?

I didn't realize these had a bad reputation. It's an aeromotive fuel pump as well' date=' so I hope the quality isn't the same as the RRFPR from what you describe. I guess I'll have to search the archives for a better RRFPR to install.

[/quote']

Thye work but are just a band aid way to get more fuel and max out quick at higher boost levels. I just don't know why he didn't run a regular EFI regulator if he has stand alone.

Guest Chris240turbo

I checked and couldn't find a RRFPR that aeromotive even sells anymore if they ever did, it should be an A1000, 1:1 boost referenced regulator, I doubt there's a better regulator made, good luck with your problem, I'll bet it's fuel starvation related though...

I think I'd send it back to aeromotive to have it checked out, I can't imagine why it would work when cold, but not when warm, the diaphram would be the only thing to go south, and if it was torn, it wouldn't work at all, warm or cold

I had loads of problems trying to use a stock 240z fuel tank, they are not baffled inside, the fuel would slosh around, uncovering the pick up, and starve the pump, I burned up 2 walbro pumps before I'd had enough and installed a fuel cell.

Guest bastaad525

yeah I agree about the FPR... really if you're running a Tec system there's no reason to run anythign other than the stock bosch FPR... unless you're just trying to get more fuel than what those injectors are good for but that seems like an awful waste of a perfectly good Tec....

Guest Chris240turbo

The regulator thats on there is the one you want, it's not rising rate, it's 1:1, boost referenced, same as a stock piece! only adjustable, and undoubtedly higher flow, it'll work like a charm with the tec unit, IMO you need to be able to adjust the fuel pressure to help tune for the tiny pulse widths at idle with big injectors, again, this is not a rising rate POS you've got there, if there's an issue with the regulator malfunctioning, I'd send it to aeromotive, as you're not likely to find anything that will work any better...

think of it this way, say you're running 10 psi boost, and 45 psi fuel pressure at WOT, if the regulator didn't rise 1 psi fuel pressure for every 1 psi of boost pressure, you effectively have only 35 psi fuel pressure at 10 psi boost...as you now have 10 psi of air pressure "pushing" against the fuel trying to come out of the injector, lowering pressure the same amount

RRFPR's raise pressure MUCH MORE than 1:1, some on the order of 10:1 or more, so your same WOT fuel pressure of 45 psi, would skyrocket under 10 psi boost, these regulators are a band aid, and work only OK, I ran a vortech adjustable RRFPR for years, with a Z32 ECU...

I now run that same A1000 regulator you have, with a Haltech E6K, and it works super...

do you have a fuel pressure guage mounted inside the car? I couldn't tell from the pics, but that'd be the only way to know for sure if pressure is dropping while driving, otherwise it's a guess.

too bad you're a ways from houston, I'd have a look at it for you.