HybridZ

Hey PeteP: Just For You

Scottie-GNZ

I was up until 2am watching "Blue Wild Angel: Jimi Hendrix Live At Isle Of Wight". If you have never seen this, look for it on Trio (cable channel) or try and find it on DVD. Brought a tear to my eye seeing how talented he was. You could see/hear the transition in his music towards more Blues.

Guest Anonymous

He's still my idol. He lives despite what happened. He was pretty unhappy with his situation, people wanted him to smash guitars and do all the crazy stuff and he wanted to just play and explore new stuff. But unless he lit guitars on fire people were disappointed.

I agree he was underated as a blues player and he did it as well if not better than any. Red House flat rocks, and I have a CD Jimmy Hendrix at Winterland where he does a knocked out version of "Like a rolling stone".

I did alot of reading about him and seen most of the video's. People want to consider him a natural talent which he was, but he had huge hands, and he practiced a LONG LONG time. He had a nickname of 'Marbles' because people thought he was crazy, he always had his guitar strapped on him even walking down the street. He'd start practice at 7 or 8 at night and play all night until the next morning. Same with Eddie Van Halen, those guys earned that talent, theres no short cuts in musical instruments, the guys that play on that level work they're asses off to get there. Anybody that plays (and many that don't) can appreciate the dedication they put into they're art. Jimi's gone, but he lives on and will never die to those that listen to his stuff. Its a sad loss, but we're fortunate we had him for as long as we did and all we can do is love him for what he brought to the stage at this point.

Sincerely,

Lone

I'm a serious blues fan.

Just today I was listening to an album by Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughn - Stevie was playing guitar licks of Jimi's originally done in performance with Albert way back. Sounded so much like Jimi it made my hair stand on end.

I too have a great sense of loss.

I'll have to find that program.

Guest Anonymous

Scottie,I have Hendrix Live at Isle of Wright on cd and it kicks ass,can't wait to see it on video. Rick, Stevie Ray Vaughn is the reason I fell in love with the blues, saw him 16 times before he died. My cousin says he was Hendrix in a white mans body. Damn why do the good ones have to check out so early.

Guest Tim78zt

Hey Lone, did you ever hear the story Buddy Guy tells about teaching Jimi how to use feedback?!!

Rick, have you ever listened to any of Buddy's stuff?

Tim78zt

Tim, Buddy is a mainstay of my collection, and any blues afficionado worth a damn has lotso BB.

It's pretty interesting how so many of those guys (John Lee Hooker, Albert Collins,Luther Allison,Buddy, Jimi, Stevie, etc. and on into the current bunch of artists) used to jam together and build on each others' stuff.

I'm convinced those people who put down the genre as 3-chord nothing to it have never really listened. It's real life.

Guest Tim78zt

Rick, I think Lone is mostly right by saying it started with Robert J. and I'm not just talking about Blues but all of Rock from the Stones to the Allman's (Duane is another very sad story) (Don't get me started on Duane... we'd have to start our own forum just for him!!) to Megadeth. Rock is nothing but Blues sped up.

It's not that people haven't listened... they just weren't truly aware of what they were hearing! Some just appreciate it more fully!!

BTW, Lone, I believe Buddy tells that Jimi feedback story at all his shows right before he kicks off a bunch of Jimi's licks!! You can close your eyes and swear Jimi is onstage. That's not easy either!! Have you ever tried playing a right-hand-strung guitar flipped upside down? Assuming you were left-handed like Jimi, that in itself would produce some very unique sounds!!

Tim78zt

Guest Anonymous

Nah, I don't think I have Tim! Do tell, I'd be interested in hearing it, Buddy Guy rocks.

I am a Buddy Guy fan too, the guy was a precursor to hendrix and I know Jimi listened to Buddy's stuff and jammed with him before like on a open mike night sort of thing before Jimi was famous.

All of those guys built foundations on each other though, all the way from Robert Johnson who believe it not on that compilation alblum thats out, has a song with what most consider the first 'guitar solo' taken in a blues song. It was short and not like what came later.

Of course later on 'cutting heads' (out playing each other basically) on the street corner for tips or in juke joint parties was what lead to advanced solo's and more guitar based blues with alot of soloing rather than the field hollar style that came from the plantations and work camps early on.

I think I liked BB Kings phrase "The blues ain't nothing but a good man feeling bad." He's a major idol of mine as well, some don't get his style as he doesn't play a huge amount, but he can play one trilled note and get more soul out of it than one can shake a stick at IMHO.

Stevie Ray was awesome as well, it was sad because of his getting sober and then having a tragic end just after all he went through. His growing up in Texas wasn't easy back then playing the music that he elected to, his dad even gave him a hard time about his choice in clothes (I won't repeat it, but it was a racial slur, obvious his pops was a redneck). Good to hear we have so many blues fans here, its a awesome music genre.

Regards,

Lone

Guys, I've not logged into Hybrid since this past Sunday - didn't see this til now.

Thanks for thinking of me, Scottie. Jimi is my favorite guitar player. Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Stevie Ray Vaughn, ROBIN TROWER, BB, Albert Collins, others follow. I like Jimi's style of blues the best, and of course what many then called rock. I really do think the music world would be alot better today if Jimi had survived,

sold records, and showed the promoters that fingers smoking on the fret board, not lighting fire to the guitar with a torch, is what SELLS. Who knows, we may have all been spared of DISCO!

I played guitar a bit 20+ years ago in a high school aged rock band. All we did was copy other bands, only TRIED to play maybe one Hendrix song. I was never a very good guitar player, but played enough to be in awe of the true masters. Knowing how to play really lets you appreciate a great musician. If you just spectate, you never really can appreciate music fully.

I saw Stevie and Albert Collins a few times - awesome! Robin Trower once too. I really like his style kind of a modernized Hendrix. To me he's kind of an unsung guitar hero.

I really need to get a DVD player and start collecting some DVDs and get some more music CDs. I don't actively listen to much more than the radio in the garage and the car. That needs to change. A guy at work had 4000+ MP3 files on the server and sends out updates to the playlist so I've been expanding my horizons lately with everything from Classical, to hip hop, and everything in between, etc. Some I like, some I don't. I've unfortunately lived my last 20 years listening mostly to "classic Rock" stations and not expanding my musical horizons enough.

Sorry to ramble.

Z content: The inner valve springs are going in slowly, the tranny is back in after it's second removal to fix a leak, and I hope to be smoking the tires Saturday morning. Been working hard at work and wrenching in the night, so not on the Internet much.

Pete,

amazing that we are so much alike. Like your list of guitarists and I would add a couple of my all-time favorites to that list: Al DiMeola of Chick Corea/Return To Forever fame and Joe Satriani ("Surfing with The Aliens" one of my favorite albums). I too hardly listen to music except in the car and garage and in the garage the radio is set on classic rock too. I also listen to (used to) a lot of New Age with Jean-Michel Jarre, Ray Lynch and Vangelis my favorite. Vangelis is best known for the the commercialized "Chariots of Fire" but that is so far from his real work especially some of the works he did with Jon Anderson (Yes).

Despite the incredible live shows that Jimi put on, he was not much for on-stage performances and travelling. He would have preferred to spend all his waking hours in Electric Ladyland just jamming and writing. That explains where all those studio albums came from after he died.

The drive up to Montgomery will give me some time to listen and reflect.

Guest Anonymous

I have to add one more name to the list of guitar gods because he's the only one to have survived since the 60's and that's Eric Clapton, my personal favorite by the way. I listen to his cd's every time I drive to ATL from VA, surprised I don't get more tickets. Man that wailing guitar is about as bad as the rush of doing 90 down I85.

Joe Satriani is a genius, he has taught so many guitarist it is not even funny. My jaw dropped the first time I heard surfing the alien. Can't forget Eddie, Mark Knopler, man there are so many

Any Stevie Ray Vaughn, BB King... fan should listen to Jordan Cook or better yet see him live. He is from my home town Saskatoon and toured with BB for a year in Europe. I saw him at 8 years old belting out Mustang Sally, everyone knew he was special. While I am at plugging home town bands Wide Mouth Mason is another good blues band.

Guest Tom Scala

Don't forget Johnny Winter. Texas fried blues at it's best. As a side note about Hendrix,I saw in the paper today where an old guitar he had burned and smashed during a performance was being auctioned off. Frank Zappa collected the pieces and had it restored and used it on his Zuet Allures album. His son Dweezel has it now and will use the money,expected to bring ($500,000-$600,000) to rebuild his late dads' recording studio.

I am SUCH A MUSICAL HERMIT.

Thanks again for listing some great artists and guitarists I'd never heard of. I was listening to some Winamp stations, and said, what the hey, I'll search for Satriani and found a station Sudo&Godo , Il mio sudore e` per voi and they were playing "traveler" by Satriani. I heard the last minute or so and really liked it.

Thanks again guys!

Guest KraZ4spd

I am soo glad that there are blues fans on this site!!

I cried the day that Stevie Ray Vaughan died.

I was really diapointed to hear that in the ranking of the top ten guitarists of all time he was never listed. I sorry but Slash doesn't even come close to some of the others that were listed. He is good but not even close to SRV or even in the same class of Jimi.