HybridZ

Custom adjustable t/c rods please critique

I got the "u-mount" from chassis shop.com and all the other pieces i aquired locally at several race shops in the area, but should be availible on the internet. I found the internet actually seems more expensive in this area, plus you have shipping ot deal with

I bent my t/c rod in my wreck over 90 degrees in my 260, the wheel came up and hit the inner fender!

I dont really inderstand what youre saying about the umount snapping, This is the same design as the arizona z car setup and they have been racing on those for years..... i think if theres a force thats gonna bend your t/c rods 90 degrees youve got alot more to worry about... Id be willing to be that my t/c design is much stronger then the stock rod. But we will see, perhaps some of the engineering guys and suspension people could chime in

the hole is a little larger then 5/8, this shouldnt come into play though i ahve it centered wit ha large washer and the only force there, is pushing back on the mount.

-Austin

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Austin, I think what Owen is trying to say (regarding the attachment of the TC rod to the LCA) is, you do not want any play (tolerance) between the two parts. If the LCA can move around, other than the intended pivoting at the inboard joint (up and down) you will be inviting problems to occur.

Guest JAMIE T

FWIW, there is merit to letting a suspension component break/bend to prevent damaging the frame on a race car. I would personally rather replace a TC rod or LCA than do frame repair.

FWIW, there is merit to letting a suspension component break/bend to prevent damaging the frame on a race car. I would personally rather replace a TC rod or LCA than do frame repair.

Jamie, you certainly have a point and from all indications, a vast majority of chassis are now designed to do so. However, what I'm pointing out has mainly to do with the plain and simple correct operation of the modification at the LCA to TC rod attachment. If the the attach point has tolerance and can move about, then it has failed to achieve a design intended not to move in tension and compression. Imagine hauling her down from over 100 mph and having the front end the car darting from side to side because the TC rods are not securing the entire strut assembly from moving for and aft.

Well according to basic laws of geometry....if you have a triangle and all sides are a fixed length, the only way for the assymbly to move back(have the angles change) would be to have a side change length, so to tweak the mount the LCA would have to bend.

just my 2 cents somebody correct me if im wrong

Well according to basic laws of geometry....if you have a triangle and all sides are a fixed length' date=' the only way for the assymbly to move back(have the angles change) would be to have a side change length, so to tweak the mount the LCA would have to bend.

just my 2 cents somebody correct me if im wrong[/quote']

You are correct in what you posted, but again, the point I'm making is......IF THERE IS PLAY (TOLERANCE) AT THE LCA TO TC ROD CONNECTION YOU ARE ASKING FOR HANDLING ISSUES AND IT WOULD NO LONGER BE A FIXED LENGHT AS THE TOLERANCE ALLOWS ONE LEG OF THE TRIANGLE TO CHANGE, EVEN THOUGH IT MAY ONLY CHANGE BY MAYBE .032". Think about how that slop would feel at speed and under braking. If you recall on the stock TC rod to LCA attachment, there is zero tolerance....hummmmmmmmm!

There is no tolerance period, the clevis was hammered on to the hockey puck, there wasnt enought clearence for the powdercoat in the area, it came off.

I do see you point and it is a valid one, but with the right pieces there is no play.

Put it this way the stock rubber bushing at the LCA and the t/c rod would have much more deflection the way you are talking about then this setup.

I guess we wont know for sure till i get out on the track....

Quit calling play tolerance! It's not the same thing! Aaaaaaargh.

Good point Drax! Ok, how about....too much tolerance = play! Or, tolerance = the difference between the allowable maximum and minimum sizes of some mechanical part. Or, tolerance = the amount of variation allowed from a standard specification.

You are correct in what you posted, but again, the point I'm making is......IF THERE IS PLAY (TOLERANCE) AT THE LCA TO TC ROD CONNECTION YOU ARE ASKING FOR HANDLING ISSUES AND IT WOULD NO LONGER BE A FIXED LENGHT AS THE TOLERANCE ALLOWS ONE LEG OF THE TRIANGLE TO CHANGE, EVEN THOUGH IT MAY ONLY CHANGE BY MAYBE .032". Think about how that slop would feel at speed and under braking. If you recall on the stock TC rod to LCA attachment, there is zero tolerance....hummmmmmmmm!

The clevis is bolted down and is solid when tight. The difference is one bolt versus two on the stick TC rod. That can have a tolerance too, but when you tighten it it doesn't move around. I guess you forgot the rubber bushing that's usually at the end of all this that moves around a half inch or more. And even if you did install delrin or some other ball and socket option it will flex too.

This is a proven and tested design, which in my opinion is a lot better than what Arizona Z offers.