HybridZ

Y so many problems

That coolant that puddled near the injectors is back! it seems that it is comming from one of those plugs on the intake manifold-does coolant even flow to the intake? I have a seperate intake and throttle body that im thinking of swapping in this weekend. Should i do this, or look at that plug thing a bit more?

I am unaware of any coolant passages in the intake itself, but there are some coolant lines that go to the throttle body. I would MUCH rather fix a leaking hose/plug/etc than swap the complete manifold! Much easier to just fix what you have (unless it is unrepairably broken).

Joshua

Yes, I think that there are a lot of connections around that area that could leak. Do you see the coolant shooting while the engine is running? All of those lines should be at the pressure of the radiator. I am not exactly sure what that is, but probably ~10psi.

Joshua

just use or borrow a coolant pressure tester.put some pressure on it and spot the leak.There are a couple of small coolant hoses up there for the thermal air bypass valve on the injected cars as I recall.Kind of a pain to get to because of the fuel lines and probably old and dryrotted.My guess is its your leak.good luck.

Quicker240 is right. Now that you said that, I remember that stupid thing. In case you don't know where the Air Bypass valve is, it is right behind the throttle body on the top of the intake manifold. It has a few different hoses going to it.

Good Luck,

Joshua

• 1 month later...

Did you ever solve this problem? I found a coolant leak in exactly the same place on my 78 280z with the n42 head. I just replaced the gasket on the thermostat housing that leads to the radiator hose today, I believe it was causing the problem as whoever replaced the gasket last time did so with a gasket that did not fit at all. it was entirely the wrong shape. I had coolant leaking out of that and through my valve covers bad gasket and also through my intake manifolds bad gasket... this made for a rather unhappy engine. anyways good luck

i can't remember where the leak was, since i don't have my car, but i remember its like 3-4 inches from the number 1 injector, its 3-4 inches towards the drivers side fendor, it mite b on the throttle body or sumthin. i'd take a pic if i had the car with me-i just can't remember exactly without looking at it.

All you have to do, is basicly tighten all the hoses untill u find the right one, theres a few, but not too many that r close to the number one injector.

Hope this helps, if not, PM me and mayb i can help a bit more.