HybridZ

Can't get my cam sproket back on, what I'm I doing wrong!?

Guest iskone

Guest iskone

Tensioner stop? What is that?

I'm taking the cover off for sure. I would have already but on Monday I just ran out of time in the day by the time I needed the pulley puller, yesterday I took off form the car and had a vaccation on the couch.

Guest iskone

I read the info int the link and gave it a shot with no luck.

I can't even see the tensioner when I look in there.

On a side note My other E88 head is done today so I'll pick it up on the way home. I think it's a late E88 but I'll find out when I take a closer look today. It flows 215cfm @ .550 the cam is 296* 555in .546ex could be wrong about the lift though, I got to many damn cams to remember them all. BTW I'm selling this head, it has 280 valves.

Isk

Guest iskone

Ok I got the timing cover off. The tensioner was not in at all it just fell into my catch pan when I pulled off the cover so did a half circle peice of of metal. I think I'll post a pic of it because I don't what it is, it's not in my FSM. No spring to be found anywhere. Is it possible that it would not be installed?! I'll get a replacment spring anyway.

Isk

Spring and small rubber washer (fits around tensioner shaft) will be in pan. You can probably fish them out after draining the oil and going in at front of pan with a hook/mechanical fingers. If your half peice looks like a little cap it is an internal part of some tensioners. It could also be a peice of broken chain rail. Please post picture of the peice

The rubber washer is on the tensioner shaft already. The 1/2 moon (or woodruf key) goes in the crank. There are 3 of them, 1 under crank gear, 1 under oilpump/dist drive gear, and one under harmonic balancer. When the crank is at TDC the slots for these key point straight up. It should fit into crank tightly. Normally have to tap it in with a small hammer. It needs to go in slot straight, be level, and fully tapped down or the front balancer will "strip" the key out on install. If key is loose in crank get a new one. balancer left loose wil tend to wear out key (and nose of crank if your unlucky) Oil pump drive gear (if you have removed it) goes on crank radius side first. Balancer should fit snug but still be able to install by hand (wiggle,tap with tiny hammer). Normally keys do not fall out of crank.

Provide pictures of front of crank/ balancer for more advice.

Fish spring out of pan. Coat hanger hook will work.

Hope this helps

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

I'm another person to add to 'the list' of friggin idiots who took off the cam gear and can't get the thing back on. SONOFAF$%BASTARDPOS!!!!!!!! I just spent 3 days trying to start a motor that the dumass rebuilder timed wrong. (Crank key pointing up, cam pointing down :twak: ) I have no idea how I've managed to crank the thing over and even get backfire through carbs AND exhast (but no start) and NOT heard any valves go bang.. I just gave up after 8 hours of messing with evrything, and I'm going to have to pull the front cover off tomorow. :emo: I am so pissed off... Just for the record, I don't see how the hell some people have simply 'pried on' that pos cam gear. There is just no way, unless the chain is maybe really stretched...

Yours doesn't sound like it's cam timed wrong. Spin the crank one revolution and the crank key will be pointing up and the valves will now be pointing up. The cam rotates 180 degrees for every revolution of the crank. I think you only have the ignition 180 degrees out. Once you have the cam lobes "up" and the crank at TDC, take the distributor cap off and make sure the rotor is pointing just before the tower that you have the number 1 plug wire on. Right now I'm bettin you have it pointing to number 6.

Joe

Yours doesn't sound like it's cam timed wrong. Spin the crank one revolution and the crank key will be pointing up and the valves will now be pointing up. The cam rotates 180 degrees for every revolution of the crank. I think you only have the ignition 180 degrees out. Once you have the cam lobes "up" and the crank at TDC' date=' take the distributor cap off and make sure the rotor is pointing just before the tower that you have the number 1 plug wire on. Right now I'm bettin you have it pointing to number 6.

Joe[/quote']

I've done this before also. Joe, is giving sound advise here. Take a look at it and see if you can get it running right before pulling it apart.

Guest iskone

I'll agree. Plus it's always a good idea to try the simpliest thing first then work your way to the harder jobs.

I should have the my ride done soon, I've been out of town for a while. I'm planning to take the car to the next meet of the BSSC.

Isk