HybridZ

steel fender flares?

Guest 305240

Ken,

Those are the flares in fiberglass. The only part I am not sure about the Yellow Z is what bumper he utilized or just a bumper insert. I purchased the flare bumper insert, rather than trying to modify the complete bumper to fit the rear.

Here is picture when I received them just to get a idea of what I was getting myself into.

Flare_dr1.JPG

Thanks for that!

If you take a look at the wheel opening on the yellow car, the wheel aligns symetrically with the flare. When compared to your mockup it appears that the flare would have to be cut in half vertically and re-bonded to achieve that result - or - maybe you just have the flare too far rearward... but given the re-positioning forward it seems that the dogleg would have too abrupt of a flared area there...

Thoughts?

Ken,

I agree with your thoughts on fitting these flares. I knew working with steel would have been beyond my skills as far as getting the shape just right like that Yellow Z. So, I moved them around to see what angles and attachment points would work. First, I need to trim and attach the bumper extension to the flare, and make it one piece. I plan on running a 315/35-17 tire and a 17 x 11 or 12 wheel with a negative offset, so I think from the (torsion bar)? hole in front of the flare and forward will need to be trimmed and re-shaped. I can then address how far forward or rearward to attach flares with wheels and tires on car. The yellow z is running 335/35-17 tire, I do not know the offset of the wheel, but the fit is just right. The great thing about fiberglass flares, you can cut them up, shape them how you want and even make them wider if needed particularly the Porsche fiberglass flares.

930 Flares anybody?

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735451_189_full.jpg

My car had these done in FRP back in 1981 by the previous owner Roger Puffer. I went for years trying to figure out what kind of flares they were as I'd not seen them anywhere else. Then one day on Beach Blvd up in LaHabra this Porsche idles up alongside me...him looking at me, me looking at him. "Oh, 930 Turbo Flares, that makes sense! I got to get me some of those chip guards the P-Cars have!" And the secret was over.

It looked better in Black... Now alas it's resting in faded primer grey waiting for rework.

And megathanks for that 930 fender post! Those guys are about an hour away, and I'll be damned if I'm rebuilding my flares from scratch on another car!!! That website alone will save me hundreds of hours making molds off my current car for transfer to another!

Here's a link to the write up with several more pictures...

Is there any way to have this translated to English?

http://www.grombil.com/Grombiler/Extreme_styling/TRS_z240/z240.html

Sure thing. I'll translate it. Norwegian isn't that much dissimilar from Swedish. Here goes:

------------------------------------------------

When Rolf started out on this project, I don't think he was in the clear on how extensive it was going to be in the end. Rolf had (much like Martin Luther King) a dream... A dream of the baddest streetcar on four wheels. For him this dreamcar-business started out when he was 5 years old... (It was) a Datsun 240z. 7 years later his dream would come true, albeit a plastic model (scale 1:24). In 1989 he got his first 240z. It was a somewhat banged up 1971 model that found its way into his garage. The car was driven for a short while, but after a lesser error in appraisal and springiness in a stabilizer rod he had to get a grip on the car and start the restoration.

This is where the fun part starts. The car is totally disassembled, down to the last bolt. All the rust is welded/fixed. The car was then shipped to Sweden and Thomas Alsterfalk who would conjure up a fiberglass kit that would fit the owner and car like a glove. Rims and tires (three piece Compomotive 9x17 in the front and 13x17 in the back) already been bought. The rims were served with a batch of Pirelli P-Zero rubber - 245/40-17 and 335/35-17. Same kind as on the Ferrari F-40. In order to make it fit Rolf bought rear fenders from a Porsche 911 Turbo and cut them into 8 pieces. The puzzle was then pieced together to fit the body of the 240z. The front fenders, front airdam and the ZX-R wing are now produced. Three months and 930 miles later the car is back in Rolfs garage. Once again the car is disassembled and then sandblasted (with "møbelsand" - whatever that translates to) after which the chassie is "metalized" in the same way as an oil rig that constantly sits in salt water.

In 1992 the car is painted at Lakk Service A/S. The paint is "yellow base" and is pretty visable in traffic. All old gaskets, interior and other details were replaced by new parts. The parts that weren't replaced were restored and reinstalled. At this time, most people would feel satisfied with the project. But for Rolf this wasn't nearly half way done. The steering got an overhauling. All a-arms got replaced by uniball dittos from INFO-design in Sweden. These are fully adjustable and weigh in at 8 kilos. 5-step adjustable Tokico Illumina shocks and the ability to adjust spring height is installed. The brakes are a chapter on their own. 4 pot alloy calipers of "fist type" from AP Racing. 315mm x 28mm vented discs are mounted to a lightweight metal adapter. In the rear front break calipers from a Citroën GSA with discs from a Nissan Patrol 3.3 is installed.

The engine is built from scratch from a brand new L28 block. This was bored from 86mm to 87mm. JE pistons in the US produced 6 pistons especially for this engine. The cylinder head was ported and polished by DJ Road & Race in England. 48ccm combustion chambers. Specially cut cams from Kent. Forged and prepared original crankshaft and connecting rods. Turbonetics T04 turbo. Mangoletsi manifold with three double 50mm throttle bodies and six Bosch 502cc injectors. Haltech/Emtech E6 programmable EMS for ignition/injection. Electromotive dry sump with external oil pump. Custom 3" stainless steel exhaust built by the renowned whereever-it-fits method. Ferrita mufflers. The engine has been run in a dyno with 337 hp at 7000 rpm and 450 Nm as a result.

The Gearbox is a Borg Warner T5 and is originally from a 93 Mustang. Three piece sinter clutch from AP Racing. Tim Riley flywheel. Custom made rear axles made from Crmo4 and 9mm thicker than stock.

The restult of the above is seen below :-)

------------------------------------------------

Sure thing. I'll translate it. Norwegian isn't that much dissimilar from Swedish.

Mull, Thanks very much for that! I knew after comparing both pictures that they had done a lot of re-fitting to obtain that wheel opening... Although I don't think cutting it into 8 peices was necessary either (but you never know!)

Does anyone know what they did for the inner fenders?... As you may be aware, those are almost as much work as doing the skins...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...