HybridZ

Install my 3" exhaust today..

VinhZXT

Wow what a long day but I finally finished the 3" exhaust system. The downpipe was bought from JeffP. My camera battery went out early and I couldn't take better pictures so here they are:

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/VinhZXT-exhaust1.JPG

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/VinhZXT-exhaust2.JPG

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/VinhZXT-exhaust3.JPG

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/VinhZXT-exhaust4.JPG

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/VinhZXT-exhaust5.JPG

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/VinhZXT-exhaust6.JPG

There is no way I can finish this thing in 1 day without my brother's help. We made a couple mistake early and it slowed down the whole process. I still have the T3 in there. The T3/T4 will go in another day sometimes in the next winter I guess. The tone of the exhaust is not what I expected but it is not loud and that's good. My yellow ZXT has the stock 2 1/2 " exhaust with the Sebring straight thru muffler and Sebring silencer and it got a nicer tone compare to this Magnaflow.. But I guess I have to get use to it. Take it easy everyone.

Yasin,

lol.. yeah that's my brother , never listen to me. I told him to put the pipes on the table to weld and he didn't listen. He likes to sit down to weld and then at the end of the day he was complainning of back pain. lol...

BTW I just put more pictures of the exhaust and re-organize my cardomain web site. It would be better to go there to check out all the pictures instead of going to uploadit.org. Have fun everyone.. http://members.cardomain.com/Valerie280

Thanks Yasin...

Hey Vinh.. LOOKS AWESOME!!.. I have the same muffler. But I also have a magnaflow race magnum right after the down pipe. It really smoothed the sound out and quietend it down a good bit. I am still running 2.5" exhaust but I will be going to 3" soon I hope. Looks great man!!

I just had mine done, so thought I'd add it in here as well. This is a mandrel bent system, all stainless with the same magnaflow muffler on my 7M-GTE. It's actually not all that loud, it's not a racy sound, kind of just low and rummbly.

job80.jpg

job78.jpg

job79.jpg

job81.jpg

Will post more pics of the engine swap as soon as I finish up some more things.

Vinh - Man I just love the spyder just checked out your CarDomain website. Such an amazing car...I am sure it must be quite the head turner!

I am going to bite the bullet and get that MSA front spoiler for my ZX, did you have any fitment issues with it (ease of installation), I remember you said something a while back with the way it lines up? Does it come with new mounts or do you reuse the factory ones? Also it must save some weight on the nose of the car over the heavy factory bumper?

P.S: So did your brother get you to massage his back....LOL!

Tony - That is a big turbo you have on your 7M - cripes!

Yasin

Tony,

That's a beautiful job on the exhaust. Did you do it or you send it to a shop? I can't find any shop around my area that has the mandrel bender so I had to order the pipes and weld them up myself. Not as pretty as yours but it looks good enough and I save a bundle on it as well.

Yasin,

I didn't have any problem with the fitment of the MSA front spoiler. I didn't use the stock bumper either. I will probably add somethign there just incase I get into a slow speed bump it won't screw up my IC. For the MSA spoiler I fab up 2 thick pieces of aluminum and mounted them under the headlight buckets to hold the MSA bumper up. I can take a picture and show you but I think you know what I am talking about. Also I suggest you to add some more fiberglass to cover up the gap between the hood and the front spoiler. I see everyone put this MSA front spoiler on and that big gap makes the car looks really baddddd especially if you have a bright color on the car. Go to Cardomain and do a search for all the ZXs and you will see what I am talking about. Also check out my old yellow Bruce mobile that I had the same spoiler but no gap between the bumper and hood.

OK Vinh cool thanks for the heads up...I am on my way today to buy that MSA front spoiler. I did a search on Cardomain and yes I see what you mean in regards to the gap. I am not too worried about making brackets, as I have done this type of work before.

Thanks again - Yasin

Hi Vinh, I also just checked your web site, beautiful car and nice craftsmanship.

Hey Yasin, have you mounted your downpipe and high flow head yet? if not I would be glad to help you out by taking them off your hands. I will have them on my car within 1 to 2 weeks max. Hint, hint ;)

Spark,

Those are old 16" Riken rims I got a long time ago from Ross Corrigan from Modern Motorsport.

Phantom,

Are you asking the ground clearance for the 3" exhaust? If so we (the ZXs guys that used JeffP's DP) don't have a problem with that. I have to give a lot of credit to Jeffp for the design of the DP. It fits perfectly in the tunnel and above the frame rails. This picture shows what I am talking about 768663_143_full.jpg

Afsin,

Thanks for checkin ..

Anyone else on here got Jeffp's DP ?

Afsh - I have not done anything with my ZXT in ages. In fact I have not driven it in over a month. Are you still in SF or have you moved? The head is not complete yet and I want to have it in my hands before mounting the downpipe. I'll call you soon.

Yasin

Phantom,

Looking at the pictures from Tony240Z I would say yeah you Z guys would have some serious problem with ground clearance lol... I will have to address that issue with my next project car which is a Z not a ZX..

I found a local shop in my area that does mandrel bending. They were able to get the exhaust up much higher than I would have ever been able to do. They were able to shape it perfectly to get up along the tunnel real snug, and the picture angle doesn't do it justice. I think I have better clearance now than I had with the MSA 2 1/2" system.

I'll post more pics of the car when I finish up the engine. I've been driving the 7M-GTE powered car without turbo hooked up for about 100 miles now. It's given me a good oportunity to make sure everything is sealed up and I wired correctly.

BTW, I'm running Tokico struts/lower springs and I haven't rubbed yet. I used to rub with the MSA kit lightly sometimes. If you have the money it's definately worth having a shop that can put those important bends in to get that clearance.

The shop I took my car to is Bob's Muffler http://www.bobsmuffler.com/ The guys liked the car a lot. They can bend up to 4" pipe and I believe they make some kits that are shipped out all over the states. Located here in downtown Bakersfield, CA

They can not bend aluminum pipe because they push a brass slug through while bending. The brass and aluminum would stick together too much. I plan on having them do my intercooler piping as soon as I have it mounted. I've been waiting on my silicone hoses from a guy named aileronone on ebay. He is very difficult and slow to deal with. The price seemed well worth it, but not worth the trouble.

Hey Vinh if you dont like the sound of the Magnaflo I would suggest going with a Dynomax muffler. I have had that muffler or quite sometime, it is a straight threw and it sounds excellent.

I think it has a better tone and is a bit more on the milder side then the Magnaflo.

Nice looking job though. The car is awesome.

I had asked before about how loud these mufflers will be and someone on here said it's not loud. I would like to look for that person who made that claim. This muffler is loud if you get on it and to me it's still too loud and it doesn't sound as good as my Sebring muffler. I probably will stick with it and live with it for now. I will probably getting a silencer replace the test pipe in the middle if I can't bear with the sound. Thanks for the compliments guys. Take care