HybridZ

PPG Epoxy Primer on my 76

I’ve been busy tonight guys.

76_DP90LF_002.JPG

76_DP90LF_004.JPG

I got tired of my Z being three different colors so today (and tonight) I did something about it! I love the way that PPG DP90LF looks when it is first applied. :)

Looks a whole lot better I think. I will have more pics tomorrow when I get her all put back together.

Evil,

It's an epoxy primer and to my understanding it acts as a sealer. Racer X told me about it a couple of years ago and I painted my then project car 75 Z with the stuff. It has now sat out in the weather for about a year and a half and still looks pretty good, (it's now my parts car).

I just got tired of my Z being different colors so I went ahead and did something for the short haul to make it look decent.

Oh I almost forgot, thanks for the compliment :)

Haha yep you are right about the hose. I had to go around the back of the car to make it work. Garage painting at its finest.

Um, Racer X, (cough, gag) uh buddy old wise friend of mine, just how long does this toxic poisoning take to set in? I am feeling a little woozy and high. I probably took about 40 years off of my life on this one. :banghead:

I did put a few coats on the Z I hope it will last for a while anyway. Here is the finished product.

By the way Tim I got the Hybrid shirt yesterday or the day before, looks great!

76_DP90LF_008.JPG

76_DP90LF_009.JPG

Racer X,

You know I had my heart all set on red and then I go and paint it with this, as you said “intimidating†looking stuff. It has me thinking that a black Z car would look pretty cool. The car will stay the way it is for now and I will save my pennies for a professional paint job once the V-8 is in the car. Maybe by then I will have made my mind up on a color.

By the way thanks for the compliment Racer X, it means a lot to me to get a compliment from you and I truly mean that.

And you can make fun of my er uh short hose anytime haha :)

Nice job. Reminds me of Scottie GNZ Darth Vader look, pretty cool.

Your milage may vary, but I don't think DP has any UV protection since it's meant as a primer/sealer, so it might degrade (flake off) if exposed to prolonged sunlight. I had DP unprotected on some interior panels and it did this within a couple years. That's what I attribute it to, anyways.

Georgia, yes my vents are from a camaro, sometimes a little hard to find but keep your eyes on ebay.

Demon, is also correct, I had done mine with Dupont DP90 awhile back and it started to fade to white, I had it repainted using a different catalyized primer. It is holding up better but it doesn't see much sunlight either.

The DP90LF cost me $37.55 a quart. The DP402LF Catalyst cost me $21.55 for a pint. However, I still had some from the last time I used the DP so I used it instead. I actually had enough before I bought the pint but at the time (standing in the PPG store) I did not know it.

I can almost get one coat on my Z out of one quart of DP90.

Guest 305240

Man, I love that look. It looks mean and nasty just setting there waiting for something to tempt it. Then it would just jump and bite someone. You just changed my mind about my color.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old post..

I'll be using DP90LF on my 240 when it comes time to prime her - which should be in 4 weeks (hell yeah!) You said the DP90 was (about) 40$ a quart and the catalyst is 22$ a pint.

So, do I need to buy one pint of the catalyst for every quart of the DP90?

I plan on buying 4 quarts, maybe 5 to pull it all off. I'll be applying a light coat to tihe interior that I'm stripping. Unless I decide to just use the cheapy primer I have on hand to do the interior, and just cover it up when I spray the DP90.

Think that will be enough to safely coat the whole car? It's probably going to sit in primer for close to a year before the actual paint gets sprayed, unless some bizarre stroke of luck I manage to get the money together while attending college fulltime, lol.

Also, should I decide to keep the DP90 (I REALLY like the look) what kind of top coat should I look for to protect the paint long-term.

Just for the record, I should state that my $70 quote (above) was for a gallon of MP170... not DP90. I bought a gallon of MP170 and two quarts of the catalyst (MP175 I believe). I've used half a gallon (and one quart of catalyst) and I've put three coats on my 82 ZX.

MusP, you can get the data sheet for DP90 from the PPGrefinish web site. It will tell you the mixing ratios, and you can compute how much stuff you need to buy.

Black Primer..I love it!!! I have heard you can seal it somehow so the rain will not leave it spotty. Know anything about that?

loooks Great BTW!!

Rufus

Dupont sells a product called Flattener(I'm sure PPG and the other companies make similar products) that is added to urethanes to reduce gloss. This would do the trick. I love primer black but not when it gets all chalky and spotty.