HybridZ

Okay is this a easy fix or no..

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

Okay i was putting my L28ET back together today at work.

whole thing is all done, but when i was putting my arp head studs in, 3 dont go in straight at all..

those are the 3 bolt holes where the stock head bolts broke off into and i had the machine shop take out when the did all the work to the engine.

so they helicoiled (sp???) those 3 holes and now when the studs are in they are at a very bad angle and the head cant be put on.

i called the machine shop and they wont do anything about it, they said its not there fault, its a performance engine and thats it.. i know thats BS but they wont do anything about it, and to be honest i dont even want them to touch this engine anymore.

i know i could drill the coil out but im 100% sure when i put a new one in it wont change anything because they drilled the hole out crooked.

anybody have any ideas?

eveything is all else done and its ready for 20psi of boost :D!!

but man this whole thing made my day go down the shitter..

mike

First off, I'd be calling the machine shop and explaining to them that they screwed up and SHOULD make it right. If they tell you to piss off again, inform them you will be spreading the word to EVERYONE you come across that they do horible work and should not be trusted with even the simplest jobs.. like TOUCHING a motor with anything resembling a tool of any kind.

If the studs are off kilter that much, I'll bet they put the thing on a drill press and did it. Hell, even if a mill was horribly out of square that could do it to but you'd THINK a proper machine shop would be checking their equipment from time to time.. and understand that the threads/helicoil MUST be square and such...

Quick fix... I supose you could.. ah.. bend the studs a bit so the head will drop on.. it'll probly torque down ok assuming you are only talking a few of them, and not too much of an angle.. I'd locktight the studs in the block and make them real tight before bending..

Guest 2slo4u

That's a total bummer. I definately wouldn't even use that head again. Not even with "rethreaded" or heli coiled holes. Those are critical bolts and the torque is important. You really don't want to have to remove the head again and negate all the work you put into reassembling your engine. If you can't get any help from the losers who screwed up the block, it sucks but would be better to just find another block and bore it to spec. at a "better" shop. That's the kind of crap I hate about some machine shops, you would think that all the tools they have and their supposed knowledge would make it easy to do the job correctly, but even then they can be totally complacent with your engine. It's not theirs, so why should they be extra careful to do it correctly, right? I had to deal with that kind of crap on the last head I got a valve job done on. By the way, been to HRP lately?

Guest ON3GO

havent been to HRP for abit now, Z has been down and i work pretty much 7 days a week and school 5 days a week.

but the head is fine, its just the block is messed up.

i cant bend the ARP head studs at all, i dont think i want to try anyways.

i cant afford a new block and etc, after all the money i put into this money.

shop wont do anything about it and they dont care if i bad mouth them at all.

any other ideas?

mike

Well, that sucks man. I assume the block is on a stand right now? I'd say find another machine shop, explain your situation and get them to fix the three holes that are crooked. Maybe find someone who has a milling machine in their garage even.. If it were me, I'd set it up on a mill, and 'drill' out the helicoil with an endmill (to keep it square to the block) and then drill out to the size required for another helicoil.

Guest ON3GO

ya im gonna look around, i just wish i didnt have to bring it to another shop to get this fixed.

plus thats more money that could be going towards things like brakes thats needed.

mike

I'd like to know what specifically could be done to fix this. My understanding about using these coils is once the new threads are cut, and you still have problems, you're basically SOL. With that said, I'd consider legal action (even if it would be a "small claims" court). The excuse of a "performance engine" is BS because this has nothing to do with performance, it has to do with their work. Man, this kind of stuff burns me up.

After the 3 holes were hogged out crooked for the "last resort" heli coil fix .....I doubt much can be done without the aid and skill of of a super welder to refill the holes.. Come to Fall CreeK and I will give you a block. Like Terry said....."legal Action"............The job was not done right and any machinist knows that you cannot drill a precision hole for a headbolt without careful set-up to square the work piece. Probaly done with an electric hand drill with the use of only one drill size selection to accomodate the heil-coil.The hole could be properly enlarged by increasing the size of the drill bits gradually until the finished size was accomplished to accomodate the heil coil. No matter how good the drill bit or cutting tool is there will be some wobble at the end of the cutting tool but re-drilling the holes crooked is negligence or inexperience on the part of the operator for lack of set-up prep.. Crooked heil-coils has nothing to with performance and should be a routine repair for any shop. Ask some welding shops if they can fill and repair the holes and then have the holes drilled straight and re-tapped but my better judgment says "bite the bullet" and get another block..........not good to tinker with tourqe

Guest ON3GO

hey thanks man.. i dunno what to do..

the block has so much money in it too.. :(

where is Fall Creek?

i doubt its to near me to come get it, but thank you for the offer!

means alot.

mike

I think trouble is right, but could you maybe drill out all the holes and use some bigger head bolts. I know there is a bigger headbolt, what is it diesel Maxima bolts or something? At least that way you wouldn't have to redo all of the machining to the block.

Guest ON3GO

will the bigger bolts even go threw the holes on the P90 head though?

or would i have to drill those out too?

if this is the case and the only way anybody want some arp head studs :(

mike

You can probably have the cylinder head holes bored to accommodate larger diameter head bolts without boring into some cylinder head passage way but the cam towers which are already grooved to accept the stock bolts may present a problem with a larger bolt head. This is probably the best solution so far since it may not be feasible to weld up the hogged out holes in the block. Fall Creek is 15 miles east of Eugene, Oregon which is about 175 miles north of the California border on Interstate 5

Guest ON3GO

ahh..

well ill try and figure out what to do tomorrow.

maybe ill take some pics.

but ya wow im sorta far away from ya..

mike

First off, I'd be calling the machine shop and explaining to them that they screwed up and SHOULD make it right. If they tell you to piss off again, inform them you will be spreading the word to EVERYONE you come across that they do horible work and should not be trusted with even the simplest jobs.. like TOUCHING a motor with anything resembling a tool of any kind.

Add the BBB to the list of people you threaten to tell, this may get them off their butts!!

you could also just find an NA block of any year and swap in your turbo pistons. I would never trust trying to put that engine together with crooked studs.

I like that idea. Get another block and find a better machine shop than a-1 supergay.