HybridZ

Vintage Big Block 240Z

I won this old issue of Popular Hot Rodding off of Ebay the other day. It is a May 1978 issue that has an article of a Chevy big block being stuffed into a 240 Z. The guy doing the swap is a fellow by the name of Kenny Laughton from southern California. The article is written by Leonard Emanuelson.

The article is very interesting in that the writer talks about the Z being more than capable of handling the power of the big block with few if any modifications.

“The Datsun Z comes with a front frame section that is strong and provides a good mounting base for an engine, even with as much torque as the Chevy big block.†Emanuelson writes.

By the way do any of you old timers here remember this article way back then? I was in the eighth grade in 1978 so I was too young to even ponder V-8 swaps. Also does anybody know if this Z is still around alive and kicking?

Here are a couple of pictures that I scanned to share with you all. Enjoy.

Popular_Hot_Rodding_cover_hybrid_.jpg

big_block_240_002_hybrid_.jpg

big_block_240_001_hybrid_.jpg

Back in ’77 when I was in collage I found a Hot Rod book on engine swaps. I was working on a V8 Pinto then. The book had an article on a Z with a SBC from LA. That was what got me thinking about a Z swap. I cleaned house during a move about five years ago and this book was one of the victims. Just got to keep that old stuff!

Some sort of tube mount point?

Yeah it says in the article that those actually tie into the roll cage on the inside of the Z.

Here is a couple of quotes from the article on those tubes.

"George Britting added a couple of upper support tubes and tied them into the McPherson Strut towers that were beefed with 3/16-inch thick steel plate."

"Kenny thinks that the Datsun Z is strong enough in this area that this isn't really necessary, especially on a street car."

Guest Battle Pope

That's what mine's gonna end up like... but with a Ford (460). I'd appreciate a scanned copy of that article as well!

Hi, If it's not too much trouble, I would like a copy of the rest of the article when you get it scanned. I looked in your pics gallery, Is that your black primer Z? I like it, the primer is cool, kinda old school, and that hood is cool as well. Any way, thanks for your time.

Jason

jbk100@comcast.net

• 2 years later...