HybridZ

Ford Question for Chevy Guys.

Guest RunninOnEmpty

Guest RunninOnEmpty

I didn't ask this on the Ford Forum because it seems none of the Ford guys have swaped an SBF into a 280ZX. So, I thought, maybe somebody who did an SBC/280ZX might have considered an SBF but nixed it because of fitment issues. Maybe the 3" difference in firewall location? Just hate Fords?

For me, its not a Chevy vs Ford issue (I have an 04 Yukon and an 04 Sierra 2500.) Its more of a weight issue and the fact that in my area 5.0 Mustangs or their engines are very available at reasonable prices.

Thanks

I had thought of using a 5.0 as my son is into Mustangs (he has a 90 Notchback with 422rwhp) but because of fitment issues stuck with the sbc (this is my third sbc/z conversion, first in a ZX). The oilpan sump and more complicated motor mounts required is what swayed me back to the sbc. The sbc swap is just too easy in comparison.

Nope...it is purely because Chevy is far superior to Ford....end of story!!

Just kidding...well maybe not, but anyways.....I find that the aftermarket caters to Chevy to much more extensive degree, and I grew up wrenching on Chevy V8s....its in my comfort zone....hmmm....maybe time to break out......nah!

Guest RunninOnEmpty

Thanks for the input. I know I can fab the brackets, but I'm thinking fitting would be a problem, especially since I have an 81 with the huge power steering box. The oil pan could be replaced with a rear sump. But still, after much searching on the Ford Forum, it seems the ZX/SBF swap has not been done. There must be a good reason.

So, since I can't afford an LS1, and I'm stuck with a ZX, I'll just have to try to lighten an SBC as much as possible. I do have the JTR manual and a (very) small machine shop, guess the next step is to shop for an engine.

Thanks guys,

John

Guest RunninOnEmpty

I'll use Al heads etc. to the extent possible, but living in Calif. all items must be C.A.R.B. approved for the modle year of the engine. I might consider building it for HPDE of TT only. Then CA regisitration would not be needed and the smog-nazis could take a hike. As most of you know, we, in CA, can no longer avoid smogging 30 year old cars. Thanks Arnold!

Guest 305240

Check around for a 2+2. I just gave away a 81 2+2 with a power rack and pinion. That might help you out some if you still want to go ford. I also have an 81 coupe for parts that has the box. I can see the difference and where it could be problematic.

Guest RunninOnEmpty

It seems that humongous steering box is unique to the 81's. A custom header on the driver's side would do the trick but wouldn't please the smog-nazis.

Thing is the 81's a poor choice. I bought it from a neighbor not knowing squat bout Z's and with no intention of modifying it, just thought it would be a cool daily driver for my 70 mile comute to work. Unfortunately, it brought out the animal in me and now I have this need for speed. We do get too soon old and too late smart.

My 79 also has the huge steering box. For a header, custom is required. I presently am using cast manifolds. For the drivers side i am using casting number 364747 to clear the steering box, and a rams horn manifold on the passenger side.

driver_side_manifold_2.jpg

Guest RunninOnEmpty

Thanks SpdSk8tr, the casting number is a big help. That setup should get me past the CA Smog Turkeys. And yes, your steering box looks to be the same as mine, so, it is do-able.

Again, thanks to all for the input. Now its time for me to get serious with the project.

John

I'll use Al heads etc. to the extent possible, but living in Calif. all items must be C.A.R.B. approved for the modle year of the engine. I might consider building it for HPDE of TT only. Then CA regisitration would not be needed and the smog-nazis could take a hike. As most of you know, we, in CA, can no longer avoid smogging 30 year old cars. Thanks Arnold!

Some of us still can....

Guest scarab73
Nope...it is purely because Chevy is far superior to Ford....end of story!!

I coulden't agree more!

(also kidding)

Since when did we have to start smoging our 30+ year old cars? Thats news to me. I just registered mine yesterday and they didn't say a word about smog. damn those smog nazis

Runnin - I have recently removed my 302 Ford from my '70 240Z. I don't have anything against Fords, but the swap was done in 1977 and used a '75 Mustang II motor. I just wore it out, got tired of carburetors and wanted a project for the kids. I'm into the 4th month of an LS1/T56 install and it is pretty smooth.

The issues I had with the Ford installation were really very few. The internet wasn't around back then, so I had to make up everything as I went along, but the space was available and easy to stuff the motor in. I know the 280ZX is different in the engine compartment, but the most difficult task was modifying the front crossmember to clear the pan. The engine (with toploader, close ratio and a Hurst shifter) fit well back in the compartment, had room on the sides and long pipe headers tucked well into the space (custom welded, natch).

If I still had photos, I'd post them, but much has been lost over the years.

Best of luck, if I can answer questions, let me know.

Griz

the problem with ford is that the oil pump is in front-meaning no short oil pan.i think i remember somebody on this site saying they were shoving the ford motor behind the crossmember completly.and build a separate crossmember to hold up the engine.the zx might have a little more length but i dont know for sure.the steering gear box can probably be fixed by swapping crossmembers.but use what ever comes up for an engine.ford didnt run good until somebody made aftermarkit heads with chevy valves in them.

Guest RunninOnEmpty

Scarab73,

Arnold signed a bill that requires everything to be smogged but grandfathers vehicles that already were 30 years old (if I understand things correctly.) So 1974 cars and older will be ok, but 75 and later will get smogged even after reaching 30. Technically, all cars "should" be in compliance, but they were not checked after 30 years. I hope I'm dead wrong, but this is my understanding.

I have to smog my 81 in September, after which I'll do the engine swap. When it comes up for smog again in 2007, I'll just take it off the road or leave California. Our state is really begining to suck.

Scarab73' date='

Arnold signed a bill that requires everything to be smogged but grandfathers vehicles that already were 30 years old (if I understand things correctly.) So 1974 cars and older will be ok, but 75 and later will get smogged even after reaching 30. Technically, all cars "should" be in compliance, but they were not checked after 30 years. I hope I'm dead wrong, but this is my understanding.[/quote']

Essentially correct.

Our state is really begining to suck.

Absolutely correct.....

smog? in Indiana you barely have to have a muffeler...

and Im doing the ford swap into my 74, different then the ZX but still will be interesting.

largest problem on the ford swap is the clearing of the steering shaft. I havent built my mounts yet, and I dont like the ones that adapt to stock location. I'll either build a sadel type or individual ones.. i have a cool idea for the shaft but we'll see.

and they make aftermarket rear sump oil pans and pickups for the ford motors...

Look, just because your state is beginning to suck, doesn't mean you can move somewhere else. That is the problem with CA too many people trying to save you all from yourselves. Think about it, you are the problem, as a collective whole. Too many people in such a small place trying to breathe the same air. JK, it is a trend, population growth and change in lifestyle. When I was a kid we had one car and mom was the carpool driver. When me and my sis were teenagers we had to share. NOW THAT SUCKS! Today everybody has their own car and when you drive on the freeway there is one person to a car on the by and large.

Ford engines work fine for the frames they were intended for. I like fords, especially the ones that I race against. JK For me is is two fold, money, Fords cost more and second, availability of aftermarket parts, chevy wins that one hands down.

I went with a SBC/LT1 because I figured it would be the easiest to install. Not the cheapest though. Because of the low profile intake it made hood clearance a non-issue. I stil had to deal with that big *** gear box though. I made a custom header for that side and I am using a regular block hugger on the passenger side. I used the over priced MSA motor mount kit. If you have fabercation skill just make a set of motor mounts that bolt up to the original rubber mounts on the crossmember, thats all the MSA ones are!

Guy