HybridZ

fiberglass parts for race car

Guest egmar

Guest egmar

I am looking for fiberglass parts for my 240z scca RS1 race car. car weighs 2059 pounds and needs to come down to 1850. please, email or post any sources to purchase used or new. parts do not have to be perfect. its a racer not a showcar.

egmar

I am looking for fiberglass parts for my 240z scca RS1 race car. car weighs 2059 pounds and needs to come down to 1850. please' date=' email or post any sources to purchase used or new. parts do not have to be perfect. its a racer not a showcar.

egmar[/quote']

i've got access to a front fiberglass clip (both fenders and hood is a one piece unit, including the headlight assembly too). if interested reply... or PM, email......

Guest egmar

I was just told that I will have to turn off spam filters in order to receive email from a forum or list. so can you please resend if you replied in this thread in the past and have not gotten an answer from me.

egmar

You've done very well getting it below 2100lbs. I got mine ('71) down to 2160, and I could have shed a few more, but never to below 2100lbs. A 200 pound loss by exchanging fiberglass for metal will be tough to do. CF parts would help, but my guess (without looking at specific weights) is that the hood, fenders, hatch, and doors (I assume you've already removed the bumpers and gutted the doors) don't even weigh 200lbs total to begin with.

Guest egmar

my car still has all metal body panels and the stock dash board. I also have a multi-rollover proof nascar cage, that is very heavy with all the additional bars welded in place. the porsche 911 that won the last race weighs in at a little under 1900 pounds and makes 380 hp on a fresh motor versus my 338 hp. my best lap is 27 tenths/second slower. that ads up to 7 seconds in a 25 lap race. the Z has high speed handling advantages and is very stable under braking, but I loose too much ground down the straights to be able to put a pass on the 911. my thinking is: less weight = better acceleration + even later braking. the alternative is another motor from rebello, which I decided is too much time and effort for the middle of the season. this project is about getting back on top of the podium. I like doing body work, especially when its about tearing heavy parts out of the car. if anybody can think of something else, please let me know.

egmar

Guest tony78_280z
egmar, what did you do to get it that light? Can you give us a little bit of insight?

Here here... I wanna hear! (pun not intended)

Egmar you can't just barge in here and ask for info from our knowledgeable members like Terry, Dan and others (unfortunatly myself is not included in the catagory as I am not knowledgeable in many areas) without giving up some info yourself. I'd like to know how you shaved so much weight. Seeing as how I'm driving a 2+2 I need to shed a few extra pounds.

How heavy are stock seats compared to those fancy racing ones in the JEGs mags?

Also, any enlightenment on exactly how much weight can be shaved for a full fiberglass front end?

BTW Terry, I'm still waiting for my ox cart stick!

I'm real curious too. My car has an all steel body except for the hood, totally gutted including doors, and aluminum dash, glass winsheild w/lexan side and rear window. The cage is basically an IT with additional front bracing through the firewall. It weighs about 2250.

Guest egmar

my car, I believe its a 1970 model was built into a race car long time ago. one of the main sponsors at the time was a suspension company called Carrera. they came up with a very nicely done suspension. the brakes are wilwood superlite. all of the interior with exception of the dash board is gone. no bumpers. thin lexan rear window and side windows without that heavy frame. 15x8 steel wheels with good year's 9" cantilevered 'sports car special' slicks. sparco seat bolted straight through the floor pan. 12 gallon fuel cell. rebello 3.1 l motor with triple mikunis. msd ignition, dual master cylinders with adjustable brake bias font/rear. 13lbs odyssey drycell battery 680.thin walled straight exhaust, that I plan on cutting in half and let it exit in front of the rear axle. I have a few things that increase the weight: fire suppression system, nascar style roll cage, dual element aluminum rear wing, multiple layers of paint over the past 35 years.

my car sure would benefit from some aerodynamical refinement, but where I really get killed is under acceleration.

if somebody tells me how, I can post a few pictures.

thank you for your help so far,

egmar

Guest Battle Pope

Carrera??? As in, the company that makes $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ suspension parts???

That car sounds like a massive boner on wheels. Pics = :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
Guest egmar

thank you for your help everybody. special thanks to Polian form this list who sold me a fiberglass front clip that saved 90lbs. Polian even put it in a professional crate to have it airfreighed without damage. the weight savings was the breaker in the race that I ended up winning by a close margin. if you are interested you can see a little video clip of the first few laps from the view of a ZO6 corvette and my 240Z. the second place car is a wickedly fast porsche 911 with a 3.6 or 3.8 liter motor - champion for the past 12 years. http://kayakingkailua.com/SCCA%202005%20July%2010%20Hawaii%20Regional%20Race%201.wmv

egmar