HybridZ

are side view mirrors necessary to be street legal?

JaysZ

Guest ON3GO

um well you have to have one on the outside IF it came with it.

i dont have any at all on the blue Z but then again i dont care.

if a cop is a *** he will give ya a ticket.

mike

damn. well i have those chrome bullet mirrors but i think it would look better "frenched". i have one of those super wide rear view mirrors and can see out the back just fine w/o the side views.. but laws are laws. thanks guys.

i dont ever plan on driving my car during the daytime here in houston since i dont have a/c. it will be like that until next jan or feb when it starts to get cooler lol. in the meantime it will be a night driven or track driven car only.. but i still need to pass my "safety" inspection. i could go to someone that might "overlook" that part right?

Guest Phil1934

Get a street rod peep mirror, a 4" round one that has an arm that hangs over the top edge of the door and is held with a set screw. Take it off after insp.

well,

I never had them on my Plymouth and I was pulled over all the time (because the local PD are apparently not trained very well and have no idea what classic registration looks like....('69 tags) I was never hassled for my lack of windshield wipers or side mirrors, or marker lights or door handles, the only thing they didnt like was again, my lack of a windshield registration sticker. For what its worth, the inspection station I was using at the time admitted to it being a problem, but overlooked it for five years.

there are thousands of shaved rods in H-town, they are driven infrequently and rarely get pulled over and ticketed. Most officers are very understanding when it comes to custom classic/vintage cars. form over function. they really only have a problem when your daily driver accord or SUV doesn't have its side mirrors.

but in my opinion there are so many fantastic mirrors available in the aftermarket its silly not to have atleast one. you can attach them to the drip rail, or even get those little stubby aero mirrors that I see used on some of the JDM rides.

Due to introduction of federal interstate highway funding, most all of our individual motor vehicle codes are written by the the federal bureacrats on the urging of insrance interests and adopted by the states on threats of withholding highway funds for non-compliance making major provisions of all state motor vehicle codes identical, consider...... The "clckit or ticket" national seatbelt campaign is federally funded and required for the states to support the campaign by all the state and local law enforcement supplies and vehicles paid in part by the federal dollar.

I think the big problem with no side mirrors is not the getting pulled over part but passing inspection. In order to pass the safety inspection you must have a two mirrors. So just duct tape/super glue it on for the inspection and then remove it afterwards. But then again if the cop wants to be picky then you can get ticketed for it.

i picked the ones i'm going with.. a little pricey but they are super lightweight (for gram geeks :)) and have a small footprint. this is what some JGTC race cars in japan and other club racers use.

img18.gif

in the far left pic --> the bottom or top one.