HybridZ

turbo reccomendations for rb25

hellraiser

i got my bare block and want to get about 450-75hp out of it was told to go with 550 cc injectors, and a gt30r turbo but they are kind of high , price wise, so my question is what do u guys think about the t04e from garrett or any suggestions to get me to the range im looking for, already got my 90mm throttle body and planing on using the greddy intake unless someone knows a cheaper intake to go with, these swaps really drain the pockets.

You would be silly to go for a 30 year old T04 design when brand new GT30 and GT35's are around for such reasonable prices.

I would be thinking GT35 with a 0.82A/R housing for your power goals. It maybe not boost as early as you would hope (although the 0.82 over the 1.06 housing will help), but thats the cost of big power small capacity motors.

The ball bearing GT series will spool much faster than the T04 as well.

Guest JAMIE T

You can save some dough and go with a standard GT30 or GT35. Drop the ball-bearings(the R in the turbo name). From my understanding ball bearing turbos can't be rebuilt. So, that is one plus to going no BB. The GT series spool faster than the old ones also. So everyone knows, not all GT series Garretts are ball bearing. Also, for 475 at the wheels, you'll want bigger than 550 cc injectors. The Greddy intake looks like a very nice unit. And as for the price, It seems like a good deal to me. I paid that much for a 5.0 Mustang "GT40" intake 10 years ago.

the ball bearings are sopposed to be the latest tech and hard to break and the lag is pretty minimal ive read. with constant oil change and good coling its sopposed to last as long as the motor,so ive read does any one have one of these turbos and can compare the gt to the gt-r's, ive been cheap before with parts and its bit me in the butte, so this time i want to do it right from the beggining

Guest Benito

Are these the reccomendations for the stock exhaust manifold? I am under the assumption that the stock mani will work with the swap and these turbos are the ones that you are reccomending for it?

If not, which turbo would you reccomend to use in conjunction with the stock mani, preferably internally gated, with a 425+ hp goal on pump gas (93 octane)?

still the bb gt30r? hks series BB? t3/t4?

*edit* And if you don't mind, a good website with a cheap price, too. :D

All the GT3X turbos have the correct T3 flange for the stock manifold to my knowledge.

Gt30's and 35's can be custom assembled by garrett with internally gated exhaust housings which is what you would want with the stock manifold unless you want to cut and shut and external gate to the exhaust which is a bit suspect in my opinion.

cheapturbos.com , turbocalculator.com , there is a guy here that sales turbos he is the guy doing a red rb26dett twin top mount turbo.

gt30 is mounted in t3 header flange... and the gt series from garret are Ball bearing, gt2530 is a garret made HKS spec turbo...

hope I helped somehow...

All the GT3X turbos have the correct T3 flange for the stock manifold to my knowledge.

Gt30's and 35's can be custom assembled by garrett with internally gated exhaust housings which is what you would want with the stock manifold unless you want to cut and shut and external gate to the exhaust which is a bit suspect in my opinion.

Some examples are liek the GT3071R which can come either T2 or T3 flanged.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

I've Been Fond Of The Gt3076rls With The .64 A/r Turbine For The Rb20det So For The Rb25det I'd Get The .86 A/r ... Its Fast Spooling With A Flow Capacity Of Over 500hp.

We run Garret GT series turbos on our pro RWD drag car and I must say they have been the most reliable turbos we have ever used. The Ball Bearing turbos are fully rebuildable for not a lot more money and they spool much faster then a standard bushing style. Garret will be releasing a GT35R with an internal wastegate very soon (if they haven't yet). I would recomend this turbo as it is capable of 500 HP, spools very quickly on a 2.5L, will have the wastegate sized perfectly, and is one of the highest quality turbos on the market. Just my $.02 :-)

Somewhat related question!

Do you guys know on the stock RB25DET (ECR33), is this turbo T3 flanged? I know it's a T28, but is it T2 or T3 flanged? I know some turbos can come in T28 form with a T3 flange. Someone please please help me out on this.

My main thing would be "Could I bolt up a T3 i.e. GT35R turbo to the stock manifold?" or am I just limited to the T2 flanged turbos only on the stock manifold?

Another question for everyone.

#1) Should I even think about running a GT3 series turbo with an internal wastegate? I hear sometimes these turbos can come on boost really soon and can cause problems when internally wastegated.

#2) Besides the HKS Cast manifold, are there any other good choices/recommendations on manifolds for the 25 with a decent external wastegate setup? I won't even consider the SS Autochrome pieces or anything that looks chinawelded.

-Thanks Guyss!