HybridZ

Zcar Project Update #328,264

Mikelly

So I've got a date set for dropping the car off to get a cage welded in... It won't be cromoly as I had wanted, and it will be in Manassas where I can get it done by a FIA cage constructor who has an extensive history with cage construction for road racing.

$75 per hour to weld in a 6 point cage in DOM .120 1.5 inch tubing. This will allow me to be able to weld in tabs for a dash, brackets, and add ons as I need. I'm gonna get it welded in similar to Jim McNemar's car, and have it welded in tight to the body.

Car will be dropped off on June 27th and I'll get it back to start the bodywork within 48 hours.

I'm offically stoked!

Mike

He did BLKMGK's Cage on his 722WHP supra in a DAY with the interior in the car when it was delivered to them! :shock: He also did my buddie's AIX Iroc Camaro in 3 days and that was a full 14 points and door bars.

These guys have an impressive staff and only do Cage fabrication and race car construction... They do truly amazing work and MOST of the cars in Northern Va. that are on Summit Point and VIR USE this shop! Their reputation speaks for itself and you guys locally can check it out at the next cook out! :cool:

Mike :cheers:

Mike, just be wary of the 0.120â€. Much of that tubing is only around 0.118’, and if your race sanctioning body requires >0.120†tube thickness, a persnickety tech inspector might fail you. I went with 0.134†in the critical areas, just to make sure.

Mike, just be wary of the 0.120â€. Much of that tubing is only around 0.118’, and if your race sanctioning body requires >0.120†tube thickness, a persnickety tech inspector might fail you. I went with 0.134†in the critical areas, just to make sure.

You're kiding... they'll tell you you're no good for wall thickness under by TWO THOU?!?!? That is insane.. :shock: Working in the machine trade, I'm curious HOW they actually measure that too.. An average digital vernier is only acurate to a few thou.. and hell, thats assuming the operator can use it properly. Either way, that .002 thou is not going to make any diffrence in the strength of a cage IMO...

These guys are professionals who install FIA cages... They also DO technical inspections at events... I trust them. They recommended .120 and have done a number of datsuns over the years... I'm sure I'll be fine... AND because this car is a track car and NOT a race car, tech inspections aren't near as strict as race inspections. They're just happy to see a cage and harnesses in the car.

Mike

Piper Motorsports in Manassas Va. is the group doing the cage. These guys estimate it will be 10 hours to do what they need to get a 6 point cage welded in, including door bars if I go that route. The reason it isn't going to take as long to do this car is that there is ZERO electrical or interior in this car other than a seat. Also NO windows right now. This car is a shell on wheels.

These guys do tech inspections for the Regional Porsche Club of America, BMW Club of America, as well as NASA and SCCA. I'll drop the car off next Friday on my way home from work, since Monday the 27th is going to be a busy workday for me.

I'm stoked... :2thumbs:

Mike :cool:

Piper Motorsports in Manassas Va. is the group doing the cage.

I've seen two of their cages in track cars, one in Jedd's white S13 coupe (I think he works there) and another in the black drift S13 of a guy who works at Autothority. I've love to get them to put a bar or half-cage into my coupe but it will be a little bit before I can afford that :D