HybridZ

head bolts....

FEnatic

In consideration of expense, I would question how much metal fatigue has occurred in a set of L6 head bolts and ......how often...they should be replaced due to ordinary use or even occasional high speed efforts. I know around 1974 there was a spectacular difference in Datsun 4 cylinder head bolts to some very strong ones (that did not know how to break) identified by a slight circle indentation round the allen head hole. A record kept of head bolt torquing would indicate the need for replacement of the bolts needing attention.

I’ve rebuilt about a dozen Z car L-series engines and changed out an additional twenty some head gaskets over the last 30 years. I have always re-used the original head bolts unless one had corrosion damage (rust pitting) on it. I have never had a problem with a head bolt that has been re-used.

In 1972 Nissan improved the strength of the head bolt and the new bolt was identifiable by a ring (or recess) around the top of the bolt. I would definitely change out any of the early head bolts with these later ones or the turbo head bolts. The turbo head bolts have a “13" stamped on the top of the head bolt and can the torque can be increased to 60 ft-lbs.

However, I always install new rod bolts during a rebuild as the consequences of a failed rod bolt are far more severe than a “stretched†head bolt.