HybridZ

1.15 Ar?

Ok so I bought my turbo from a dude from this site and really didn't know the specs past the fact that it was a t4 p-trim and that the turbo was quite huge. I still don't really know what all those specs mean anyway. While I was changing my tranny I noticed on the hot side it said 1.15 AR. Does that indicate the size of the wheel trim? Or the housing?

Does that indicate the size of the wheel trim? Or the housing?

It is the housing. You can get a smaller one for a little over $200. I would pull the compressor cover and measure the inducer and exducer and see what you have. If it's an S trim, I would sell it. I've seen alot of those on Ebay. if it's atleast a V trim and you didn't pay much it might be worth buying another housing. I don't know what you paid but you can get a decent standard shaft turbo for $600-700 new so I wouldn't put more in it than that. With a P trim if it's a street car and you don't like lag I would get a .58. I wouldn't go bigger than a .68.

So I've been looking at prices on garret turbos an noticed that none of the ball bearing turbos come in T4 (turbine). Is there any reason for this? I went to thagards sight as well as cheapturbos.com and noticed that thagard had a garret T04E and cheapturbos had a T4/GT40. There is a price difference of about $200 (the GT40 being the more expensive). Now I understand that only the turbos with the "R" designation are ball-bearing but the GT wheel design is still supposedly more advanced and faster spooling than the "E" wheels. Is this correct? The other option I see is the T04R wheels for about $100 more. I'm not sure the difference of an R wheel and a GT wheel (or really and E wheel for that matter only that its an old desing). So to put the question(s) in clear form.......Is there a T4 ball bearing turbo? and where can I learn about the difference in these wheels as to make an informed decision on turbo purchashing? I know I can call a salesman and ask, but I'm not quite ready to buy yet and would like to do some reading up unless there is a simple explanation someone here could give. If a 1.15ar housing won't get full spool ti'lll 5k then I'm definitely going to have to change turbos. Thanks

got pictures of the unit in question?

1.15 ar is something you'd need if you had one of the following:

a. v8

b. a very aggressive cam in a stroker motor that pumps out buttload of gas and has a high rpm limit

c. rotary (because they naturally produce buttload of exhaust)

For example, my 13b-re block is stock, and I opted for a .84 divided housing t04s from thagard. I wanted more midrange spool rather than top end performance.

Is there a T4 ball bearing turbo? and where can I learn about the difference in these wheels as to make an informed decision on turbo purchashing?

This may help some. It will atleast give you an idea of the power capability of a turbo and the spool time for a 3.0. The dynos are all of 3.0 inline 6's so expect the spool to be about the same, especially if you have a 3.1. None are T3/4. The SP57 does use a stage V wheel but in a T4 housing.

Turbo specs http://moreboost.org/turbos.htm

Dynos of different turbos with boost http://moreboost.org/turbo_detail.htm

• 1 month later...

Quick question guys. I was wondering if there were any differences in quality when you're just dealing with Turbine housings. I saw some on ebay which from Powermaster? and some from garret (supposedly). I know you all warn not to buy turbos from ebay but are housings pretty much all the same (quality)?

I followed a thread on Supraforums about a guy who used all Ebay parts to build his system. His turbo had the 1.15 housing when he bought the kit and he found a seller on Ebay that had .68 housings for 59.00 bucks (IIRC). He bought it and they shipped it right away. Also if it is an actual Master Power turbine housing you shouldn't have any issues. They are are major manufacturer in Brazil. I doubt thier turbine housings will fall apart :).

Here is a pic of the one he got for 59.00 shipped.

http://www.elit3.com/upload.php?file=DSCF49.JPG

Here is the phone # to call the vendor directly that was provided in the link

1-(770)-975-8100

Anthony

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/674663