HybridZ

Found the next project...

datsunlover

I've decided that my Z is going to stay the way it is. To do a V8 swap, it would need a LOT of work (to handle it) and I've grown to like the sound of the L28 winding out. :lol: Sure it's not insane fast, or even the best looking Z, but I've got so much into it to get it where it is now, I don't feel like ripping into it again. (also, I'll have it to drive while I do this next project..)

Hopefully, I'll go pick it up this afternoon; A 1987 Mazda RX7 in almost MINT shape. Minus engine/tranny. (blown and removed already) The car came from Hawaii originaly, and has almost NO rust! Only place that has rust is the sunroof panel.. which I thought was weird, but not really a big deal. Factory red paint is in great shape, even in the engine bay! Black/grey interior, leather seats, but it's all taken apart and needs to be re-installed. The best part? Guy has to unload it cause he's moving and I made the deal for $240!! :-D Oh yah, comes with a Hurst ratchet shifter too. I've got a line on a 305/700r4 dirt cheep too, so I'm thinking I can throw it together for under $1000.. It'll be weird NOT having to do any metal/body work for once.. :lol: I'll post a pic later maybe..

Nice find. I always loved the lines and handleing of the 2nd gen rx-7. I knew someone who put a 350 or 305 in his 2nd gen and it ran beautifully. Has only problem was traction. But one day i'll put a 302 in a 1st gen because of weight and the sleeper factor.

Well, I've done a first gen w/305 and it was fun.. didn't look too much like a sleeper though with the 2" cowl hood and HUGE 265/60/15"s sticking out from the rear.. :lol: I like that there is still quite a bit of good aftermarket stuff availible for the 2nd gen, and it's got an IRS with a tough rear diff.. Oh yah, aparently since it was an auto, it has a 3.91 rear gear too. I should get pretty good milage with the 700r4, but this thing is gona fly... hehehehhe

Nice find! I say screw the 305 though' date=' that motor is a pooch if you ask me. Not to mention a 350 will probably cost the same.

Guy[/quote']

Could not agree with statement more. That combo will be lucky if it can go quicker then 15.0 in the 1/4-mile. Of course, if you are satisfied with that then I guess it is OK, but IMO, not worth the effort.

Guest ON3GO

ive been debating to rip apart my 88 turbo II rx7.

ive owned it for along time, and last time i drove it i blew a seal, and got one hell of a coolent leak.

i might just sell it but ill lose so much money on it as everything on the car has been changed to make it better.

so way i figure it might as well keep it and drop a LS1 w/ a T56 in it.

they are awesome cars, 3rd fav after the S30 and old bug.

mike

Could not agree with statement more. That combo will be lucky if it can go quicker then 15.0 in the 1/4-mile. Of course, if you are satisfied with that then I guess it is OK, but IMO, not worth the effort.

Oh don't get me wrong, the 305 would be a 'for now' motor, just to get the thing going. Around here, you simply do NOT find a good running 350 w/700r4 for $100, unless it's in a vehicle, and the seller doesn't realize what's in there. :wink: (I'm keeping my eyes open)

As for 1/4 mile runs, you have to keep in mind that I will be letting the girl friend drive this one (main reason for the auto..) and she gets freaked out when I go full out in my Z. Its a mild 280Z; cam, SU's, open exhast, MSD/zx dizzy, KA 5 gear and 3.90 rear, pretty basic) and I havn't run it yet, but I'd be impressed if it did a mid 14 sec 1/4 mile. The low down torque of even a 305 is going to push her eyes back into her head. :lol: So I figure by the time she's gotten used to it, and wants to go faster (and can HANDLE going faster) I'll build a healthy 350 to drop in. For now, I'll keep it on the cheap..

Anybody tell me how involved the rx7 V8 swap is? Around here you can find rx7's pretty cheap. Someone said the differential is stronger than a Z, are they stronger than a ZX differential? I'm just wanting some information on it because I've heard about it but never really considered doing it.

Weight?

Power rating of differential?

Mounts?

Thanks for any info.

I like the 1st gen better for a v8 swap, a company out there modifies a ford 8.8 or 9" to bolt into the 1st gen chassis, and you can get any gear ratio for it. I just picked up a first gen and Im concentrating on that a lot more now.

I think the highest ratio rear end you can get for second gen is 3.91, only goes lower (numerically higher) from there.

Don't understand that statement. Especialy if all you have is a 305.

To clarify; The front frame/unibody of my Z is.. well, a little scarry. Plates welded it, lots of ugly weld bubbles, patches, ect. Most of it was done before I got the car, and I KNOW when I rip into it, it's gona be a few months worth of work to do it properly. (I didnt and haven't yet because I simply did not have the space, and wanted to drive the thing.) Not to mention the stock front brakeing and suspension is barely acceptable, (all stock) and would obviously need some 'beefing up' for a V8 install. As it is, it's holding together alright, and can handle the mild L28 I'm running. Another thing; I now have a lot of time, and a modest amount of $$$$ tied up in it, and just want to drive it for a few years...enjoy the ride you know?

Not that I'm gona do this RX7 because I'm against 'bastardizing an old Z' :lol: but the way I see it, I'd be up against a lot more ($$, work, stiffening, moding, ect) trying to V8 MY somewhat rough 280.. I'll post some pics later if my digicam will work, to show how clean this RX7 is.. I'd just rather start with something rock solid to build a hybrid out of.. Find me any s30 as clean as my RX for $240 and I'll glady do that! :) I still think the z's LOOK better than the 2nd gen rx's, but the mazda is a newer/stronger design, has a tough suspension/rear diff, and can be had dirt cheep.