HybridZ

Electrical or mechanical guages?....

FEnatic

Was looking at some Autometer temp guages, I really like the full sweep, but they are mechanical as oppsed to the electrical which are 90*. Are the mechanical just as accurate as the electrical, and do they justify the extra cost for them? thanks

What engine/ trany are you running? for all the original transmissions that came with these cars had mechanical cable to the speedo (which you probably already know) to go electrical guages you need a sending unit and I don't think that autometer sells sending units.

I've read somewhere that the the stock speedos were set about 5 mph faster than actual speed (45 on guage, btween 40-45 actual speed). because you can't really calibrate them, don't know about autometer mech guages though.

Th electrical is for sure, but I don't think they make a speedo sending unit for the first gen tranies.

I was actually looking to use the temp guages. Wasn't sure if one or the other is more accurate. The mechanical temp guages are more expensive than the electric ones. I suppose the electric ones would be easier to run due to smaller wires. Thanks about the avatar, sometimes I just gaze and th.....

I'd go with mechanical. They're harder to plumb, but are more reliable; no worries about a broken sender unit or poor electrical connection.

BTW some years ago there was a thread on the accuracy of Autometer water temp gauges. As I recall, they can be off by some 10 degrees at room-temperature boiling point (212 deg F). I ended up with mechanical temperature and oil pressure gauges from Suntune (sp?) - from Pep Boys. Yes, they're cheap and cheezy-looking, but they are full-sweep and the water temperature gauge is dead-on accurate.

I agree with Michael, I have run all Mechanical Autometer gauges and used braided steel lines with Earls fittings so no chance of getting hot oil or coolant inside the car. I do not like the teflon straw lines with the brass ferrels supplied with the Autometer gauges.

Mechanical are more of a pain to install but definitely worth the effort.

Here is mine:

62610341.jpg

Yasin