HybridZ

r200 and cv question

rb26zed

i want to upgrade my rear end to a r200/r230 diff and cv joints for my 240z. ive been reading the threads and links on these but im still a little confused. what is the best [easiest] combination. what car do i get the r200 from for the easiest conversion. the 280zx and z31 300zx turbos dont seem very common here in queensland [been looking in wreckers for them, cant find any]. is the r230 from the 300zxtt and is this a difficult swap. i have access to cheap 300zxtt rear end and im willing to pay for some custom work. also are the centres interchangeable between different models of r200 and which ones have ratios of between 3.7 ~ 4.11

Hopefully someone else can answer the rest of your questions and correct my answer if needed .........1987-89 Turbo 300ZX has LSD with finned rear cover that may interfere with standard R200 moustache bar..front driveshaft flange needs to be switched due to different size bolt pattern for driveshaft.. 1988 white SE has a viscous LSD but the r 200 drive shafts don't fit....cheapest way is obtain a R200 moustache bar and halfshafts. you will need adapters for cv joints from Modern Motorsprts http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=5&PHPSESSID=8cf14df1cfc8a68b82a29049484fd6a5

You don't need adapters to run S130 CV's if you've got a 240z.

Is that really what you meant to say? Because you definitely do need the MM adaptors to bolt a 240 stub to a Z31 CV. You don't need to switch 240 halfshafts for 280 halfshafts as Trouble suggested (they're the same length) but any swap to CV's is going to require an adapter so the CV can bolt to the companion flange.

Is that really what you meant to say? Because you definitely do need the MM adaptors to bolt a 240 stub to a Z31 CV. You don't need to switch 240 halfshafts for 280 halfshafts as Trouble suggested (they're the same length) but any swap to CV's is going to require an adapter so the CV can bolt to the companion flange.

http://zhome.com/rnt/FordPower/HalfShaft.html

That's Terry's writeup. It says that 240 stub shafts will accept the 280ZXT companion flange and work with the S130 CV joints with some modification to the grease seal. This whole thing is broken down in detail on Pete's site: http://alteredz.com/240ZCVHalfshaftConversion.htm

That is not the Z31 CV though. The Z31 CV has a different end and the adapter from MM is required.