HybridZ

Noisy Walbro pump, How can I reduce the noise?

akeizm

Hey all,

I got my z running with a turbo setup and I installed a walbro 255lph pump. Now I knew this was gonna be a noisy sucker but didnt know it was that loud! I have put the padded sleeve on it but I'm wondering if there is a way to reduce the noise? Can I box it in with some insulation or will that make the pump overheat?

Thanks, Marc.

Are you using the Walbro GLS392 pump? Mine is CONSIDERABLY quieter than stock, and is one of the least noisy pumps I've ever heard. I mounted it externally using the padded sleeve and clamps...

Also if you mount an intank version of this pump externally it will be louder and will overheat... don't ask me how I know this.

Hmmm I was thinking of getting a plastic box (water and dust proof) and lining it with a fire resistant fabric. Then bolting the pump in there to shut it up. I have a 3" exhaust with 1 muffler @ the end and the pump at idle drowns that out. But I think it is the GLS392.

I guess If I cant get it quiet enough I'll have to get another one, cause it will drive me insane.

What do you have the pump mounted to? If it's sheet metal, it'll likely be noisy because the sheet metal will vibrate and amplify the sound. I mounted mine to my custom rear cross member behind the differential (used to clear the LSD fins). It's a welded steel piece. When the car is running, I can barely hear the pump. And I even cut away some of the sleeve around the pump for better cooling.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

On my pump I used a six inch section of braded line before and after the pump. The thought was that the noise was being transmitted through the solid fuel lines and into the frame rails and surrounding body area. The pump already had a sleeve and mount insulators. It all works quietly now.

I've found that when my GSL392 is having to pull the siphon it's much noisier. Based on where you mounted yours, above the tank, I think it's always trying to pull a siphon and consequently is noisy. Try mounting it lower and see if that helps.

Wheelman

That is right wheelman! I found the same thing. If the pump is having trouble pulling gas from the tank, it will make a bunch of noise. It will vibrate the front fenders!!

Lower the pump to the bottom of the tank first and if it still makes noise then check for a semi-clogged output line from the tank.