HybridZ

California Guys Help!!!

Guest 77vegasz

Guest 77vegasz

I am being transferred from Las Vegas over to Modest, CA. I have a 1977 280Z with a 389 stroker. No pollution equipment of any nature, and the motor does not utilize CARB legal parts of any kind. I spent three years and untold dollars building this car and I do not want to sell it.

Is the 30 year rolling exemption still in effect? Can I garage it for two years and then be OK? Is there any other alternative that will let me get it on the road in Cali?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Ahh yes.. but if your spedo *happens* to stop working, well.. the milage doesn't add up quite so fast.. :lol: (I actually pulled this stunt a few times back when I was a kid driving my moms car.. she'd check the milage, to make sure I hadn't driven all over gods creation. I'm a bad man, and I know I'm going to hell.. not for this alone, but it's on the list I think..) :twak:

The exemption is static at 1975 and older....either keep it regeistered out of state, or bend over and bring KY

Tim is saying that "No, the 30 year exemption is not a continuous rolling exemption, so you MUST get your car smogged." You can bring your car into CA and then not register it at all (keep it a race car only), or register it in another state and hope the authorities don't notice the out of state plates, or take a massive loss and sell it to me for a paultry sum...

Davy

Guest kustom240

Just pay the $200 and get it smogged illegally? I don't know if you hafta referree it.. you have registration, so that shouldn't be a problem, right?

There are still many zip codes within 6 certain counties that dont require ANY smog checks on ANY year vehicles (yes I said ANY YEAR).

From DMV site "There are six counties that require smog certifications within certain Zip Codes only. These counties are:

El Dorado, Placer, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, and Sonoma.

Depending on the counties zip code is what the smog check ruling is".

These counties only require a smog test when ownership is transferred into affected zip code out of state transfer in, but no bi annual check after that.

go to the cal dmv sites below and navigate for the info on the county rules and affected zip codes for smog checks and registrations. the last link is a california map showing what areas require what. Unfortunatly Modesto im pretty sure doesnt have any zip codes where you can slide. What is gonna screw you and the car is the initial out of state mandatory inspection. If you can get it passed that stage then there are many ways to get around the bi annual inspection such as the zip code waivers, plus a few other tricks.

engine swaps have weird rules here in California. they just changed again alst year with the laws. I am not sure what catagory your swap will fall into, but I bet its not in your favor.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/nonresident.htm

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/ZIPAREA/ZIPLOOKUP.ASPX

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/ftp/pdfdocs/program_map.pdf

yea, actually its more like 20 counties. i think the dmv site may have meant 6 whole counties, when there are like 20 partial ones, but there are still alot of areas and zip codes you can register your cars in that are no smog check required for any vehicle.

modesto is same as los angeles area.if the car is brought into california it will have to be smogged initially in any county.if car has an engine swap the corner smog stations wont touch it-for any amount of money.i have a smog license.it sucks.car has to go to referee station for swap certification.keep it registered in nevada.

These counties only require a smog test when ownership is transferred into affected zip code out of state transfer in' date=' but no bi annual check after that.

[/quote']

Sounds like a smog check to me. What good is any of this information going to do this guy since he is transfering in from out of state? How will he get a title and tags?

he is gonna have to cheat. bribe someone, or find a stock z his year and swap the vin tags and plates to get it through. i know a guy that went to a junk yard and removed the vin plate on a 72 and turned his 76 into a 72 for exactly the same reason.

dmv dont like engine swaps like that period.

the new smog test involve the dyno. used to be get it to pass visual and tail pipe ...

a few friends had a smog legal engine ... swap that small block chevy into whom ever's chevy ... a home built exhaust ( this was for pre cat cars ).

there would be no transmission, ect ... car was towed to smog shop ... pushed into the bay .... smogged ... towed home.

drop the hot rod engine, trans, ect back in place ... good for another 2 years.

one of the local VW clubs kept a stock smog approved engine for just that purpose.

depending on how much has been removed ...

you'd have to rig it ... stock engine trans drive shaft ... hook up factory smog ... nahhh way too much trouble with cats and sensors.

chp is cracking down on out of state cars that are seen in commuter traffic.

one has 10 days, if working here, to register the car ...

now here's a thought ... military are exempt for as long as they are stationed here.