HybridZ

changed the spark plugs on a camaro

olie05

I'm starting to not want to do the v8 conversion anymore after changing the spark plugs on my friend's v6 camaro. It took me 2 1/2 hours! the most it would take anyone to change the plugs on an inline z would be about 20min. anyways, do you V8 guys have to pull the engine just to do simple maintenance?

-Oliver

Guest Battle Pope

V8s can definitely be a trick to get to the plugs, even in a large-bay domestic. It doesn't help that the headers are right in the way, and in some cases the plugs are in at an angle.

LT1 V8, straight plugs, block huggers, plug change in 15 - 20 minutes. While the engine was in the donor car, 45 minutes just to get them out.

Changed plugs, wires, cap and rotor in my GMC Safari mini-van, V6, 2 hours. Billable shop time 4 hrs. Requires going in through the wheel wells to get at most of the plugs.

The shop wanted to charge me $400.00 bucks parts and labor to do it, I said "I don't think so!!!!".

Wheelman

LT1 V8' date=' straight plugs, block huggers, plug change in 15 - 20 minutes. While the engine was in the donor car, 45 minutes just to get them out.

Changed plugs, wires, cap and rotor in my GMC Safari mini-van, V6, 2 hours. Billable shop time 4 hrs. Requires going in through the wheel wells to get at most of the plugs.

The shop wanted to charge me $400.00 bucks parts and labor to do it, I said "I don't think so!!!!".

Wheelman[/quote']

Oh man, going through the wheel wells is a good idea. Looking at the motor in my wife's Toyota minivan I just figured the plugs were going to last the life of the motor. But now I have a bad O2 sensor in the back bank and a smog check due. I am not sure how to even check the damn thing without cutting through the firewall.

Actually it is not an O2 sensor but an "Air Fuel Ratio Sensor", i.e. a wideband O2. A $262 part.

Guest mitchd

Tried pulling the plugs off a 351 cleveland in a 69 mustang mach 1 to do a compression check. Only option was to cut the inner fender or pull the motor. We were doing a compression check to see if we could attempt to get the car running a bit before the motor was yanked out for the rebuild, so we said f* it, and yanked it out anyways.

But the plugs on the 383 in my K5 blazer.. real easy, I just climb up and sit in the engine bay :)

Well it would take me about 15-20 minutes to do my first 7 plugs then to get #7 plug out I have to loosen my drivers side header(custom header)(one of the draw backs of having headers on my car!) When I had a manifold (regular LT1 manifold) it wasnt an issue.

So if I do all 8 it will probably take me about 2 hours with all the dinking around that I would have to do to get that 1 plug out!

Guy

Guest Battle Pope
Well it would take me about 15-20 minutes to do my first 7 plugs then to get #7 plug out I have to loosen my drivers side header(custom header)(one of the draw backs of having headers on my car!) When I had a manifold (regular LT1 manifold) it wasnt an issue.

So if I do all 8 it will probably take me about 2 hours with all the dinking around that I would have to do to get that 1 plug out!

Guy

This is exactly why I plan to stick with stock manifolds. The 460 will be wide enough and troublesome enough I won't need custom headers to make it harder... lol

LT1 V8' date=' straight plugs, block huggers, plug change in 15 - 20 minutes. While the engine was in the donor car, 45 minutes just to get them out.

Wheelman[/quote']

So i guess its just the placement of the motors in F-bodies? Would an LS1 have the same ease you speak of with replacing spark plugs?

-Oliver

This is exactly why I plan to stick with stock manifolds. The 460 will be wide enough and troublesome enough I won't need custom headers to make it harder... lol

Yeah but after all the time and money that I have invested in this car it just wouldnt be right having a set of ugly manifolds in the engine bay! :bling:

Guy

Heh. Try a 90's 3.0l Ford Aerostar minivan. I helped a friend do them in his a few years ago, and did my boss's last summer. What a huge PITA!!! Go in through the 'doghouse' cover (inside) and hold your face just right as you snake your hands around evrything. Curse occasionaly when you drop the ratchet, or it pops off the plug socket.. remember to mark evrything in blood, ect. Took about 3 hours. :icon8: