HybridZ

Starter motor question for Grumpy...or anyone knowledgable!!

Im looking for a hi-torque starter for my 355. Its 10:1 compression. Its going in a daily driver car. I have seen 2 styles of starters. One style has a flat block that the gear pops out of:

http://www.magshooterZ.com/images/Posts/BlockS.jpg

and the other has a half dome nose that the gear is housed in:

http://www.magshooterZ.com/images/Posts/HalfDS.jpg

I have heard that the flat block style are prone to problems because the shaft that the gear is on is not supported at both ends. Is there any truth in this? Should i let that influence my decision in which one to buy? Also, should i be looking at a mini starter for clearence? Or are they for special non daily use applications?

Thanks!

Guest FasterbyFosta
According to the JTR manual' date=' the first type will not fit in the V8Z.

The second is the gear reduction starter off of 97-00 Chevy trucks (small or big block) and fit fine.[/quote']

for the record, I ran the first type. It has TONS of room in a 240z...

I've also heard that starters of Type 1 above are less reliable, because the starter gear is cantilevered. Can't confirm that from experience, though.

One advantage of starters of type 1 is that some models have adjustable orientation; the motor casing can be rotated relative to the rectangular mounting block, allowing for adjustment of header clearance.

" I have heard that the flat block style

BlockS.jpg

are prone to problems because the shaft that the gear is on is not supported at both ends. Is there any truth in this? Should i let that influence my decision in which one to buy? Also, should i be looking at a mini starter for clearence?"

While OBVIOUSLY Ive not used every brand or model avaiable,

Ive used several of each type over the years, Id also recommend the supported style

HalfDS.jpg

as I have seen more problems with the UN-supported starters , and you can use the mini-high torque starters on a street car, Ive had one on BOTH my 1985 and 1996 corvettes for years.... that being said, Id look into the garauntee of each brand and keep the shipping box ETC. as I know of several cases where mini-starters, and for that matter full size starters lasted under a week!, BTW your local area may have a shop that can build/sell you a quality mini starter for even less, and its always nice to have a local guy handy if you do have problems