HybridZ

Got to drive AFSHINs car....

fl327

Havent been around, Ive been getting knee deep into my new(to me) 83 rx7.

Just installed LSD and rear disc brakes for a whopping total of 167.83 with new pads, now my lawnmower has ice skates! These cars have solid axles, which I for one love to death, and made converting it to rear disc a matter of one brake line! I have this one spinning almost 10k rpm in about a year and a half, im going to build a extend streetported 13b for this one, but Imma drive the snot out of it first. Thought I gave up the z thing, but looks like Im going to pick up a 82-3zxt soon, hell yeah....

Havent seen Afshin in a while, stopped by to see him since he will be moving away from the SF city in about a week from now, which sucks since im moving back to Sf in a about a week from now, but hey we'll always have the internet. Anyways I think Afshin is pretty modest, he has the fastest zxt ive ever had the pleasure of driving, shoot fastest turbo z early body or not ive ever driven! He finally got ****canned that 300zx efi and went to the SDS setup, and runs a whole slew of suspension upgrades including an LSD and a huge wilwood brake swap.

San Francisco city streets arent big enough for this car. Took it for a drive, and it hits 0-80mph on city streets in no time flat, with no fear due to the overwelming brake torque of the car and the R compound tires. Feels like a six puck clutch stopping the car, its like 80mph, hit the brakes, 40mph, just like that. 0-60 has to be just over 4 seconds or something. Boost hits same rpm as im used to, but doesnt stop and doesnt quit! This is at only 13psi! RUns tons of timing im sure. But it was only 13psi, it was pretty fast. Im not just saying its fast for a zx, its faster than any other turbo z ive been in yet, 240z or not, and you can take it there because it stops so damn fast. So fast we broke the shifter! Steeda tri ax on a t5, I guess the bolts werent tightened down hard enough on the shifter. Im pretty much sold on a zx, once you change the control arm bushings and some other suspension mods the car handles amazingly. Had a ton of fun driving it while we were listening to "another one bites the dust." still has Ac and better yet, T tops! Ive been in other zx's and dismissed them as pigs in the past, but my minds changed completely due to the experience of being a highly tuned version of the s130t. I may be picking one up in the next couple days, if that falls through ill keep my eyes open for one. Yes I know, its a Smog year car, like I care....

Not fair...when do I get to drive Afshin's car?

Damn it...now I have to go to the east coast to drive it.

Afsh...I got your message, will call you on the weekend, I was away in Toronto for just over a week.

BTW, my ZXT is not the fastest thing around but one thing I will say is that it was faster than my Porsche 911 turbo from rest to about 80mp/h and my ZXT has taken down some big game on the street. Power potential is incredible and I have not even "really" tapped into it as yet.

Yasin

No doubt about it, a 280ZX needs better struts, springs, and bushings. Once I did that to my car it made a huge difference in the handling(no brainer I know). Although I have only ridden in one first GEN Z, I will say that I like my interior space more because its not so small inside like the GEN 1's.

And after all the crap that I have taken off of my ZX during the swap, Im sure I am under 3000lbs, so does that mean Im not a pig? LOL Just a little porky? :-)

Guy

I just took a break from the packing for the big move (to NJ first and then likely to Maryland) and saw this post. Thanks for the kind words Len. I'm definitely very happy with how this car has turned out as it has exceeded my expectations. I have spent the last year mostly on fine tuning of the car after having made all the major upgrades over the previous years, and it has paid off nicely (the car is actually running faster with less boost than before). I certainly enjoyed the Z31 set up as it made for a significant improvement and was cheap and easy to do. However, as the project continued I felt it was time to move up to a fully programmable fuel and ignition system. I almost went with a megasquirt set up, but was so busy and decided to go with the very reliable SDS system. I absolutely love it (however full data-logging would have been nice). Tuning fuel and ignition on the fly is an absolute blast :)

Guy, while improvement in handling from new bushings is a “no brainerâ€, as you likely know most people have it on their to do list but don't get to it. I keep trying to make the point that it is crucial to having a nice handling car and that the difference is more than most expect. I also think that it makes a bigger difference in the ZX than the Z because of the more compressible rear semi-trainling control arm design.

So Yasin, I say drive your Z over to New Josey and we will put in your nice race prepped head and jeffP downpipe over the weekend then we turn up the boost and go for a friendly race ;)

Guy' date=' while improvement in handling from new bushings is a “no brainerâ€, as you likely know most people have it on their to do list but don't get to it. I keep trying to make the point that it is crucial to having a nice handling car and that the difference is more than most expect. I also think that it makes a bigger difference in the ZX than the Z because of the more compressible rear semi-trainling control arm design.[/quote']

Yeah and after going threw that absolutly miserable process of replacing all those bushings I know why people keep putting it off! Getting those bushings out of the control arm was a PIA from minute one! But I feel it was well worth it!

Guy

Guest bastaad525
Although I have only ridden in one first GEN Z' date=' I will say that I like my interior space more because its not so small inside like the GEN 1's.

[/quote']

That's funny... my first two Z's were both S130 ZX's, and when I finally found this 240 shell I expected it to be so much smaller and cramped inside, but honestly, I found that I fit MORE comfortably in the 240, with much more leg room. The car does feel more cramped though... I mean as far as... the cieling is very close to my head... as in, hit-a-bump-going-slightly-to-fast-and-bang-my-head-on-the-cieling close (I'm 6'2"), and I can almost reach the tail lights while sitting in the driver seat... so it's definatley smaller, but there's more legroom... with the seat all the way back I hardly have my knees bent at all when stretched out to the pedals.