HybridZ

I need help choosing a muffler for my LS1

The plan for the exhaust on my LS1 240Z is to run dual 2 1/2" pipes from the 1 3/4" Sanderson Headers to the area behind the trans and then "Y" them together into a single 3" pipe back to a muffler in the stock location.

I want a system that will let the motor breathe but I also want a somewhat quiet exhaust. I am hoping to have it quiet enough to be a Sleeper. The car will appear stock on the outside so sounding quiet would be great. It will allow me to enjoy the stereo too.

I like the way the stock C5 Corvette sounds.

I need help choosing a muffler that will fit in the stock location, provide a quiet exhaust note and still let the motor breathe w/o too much back pressure.

Lets here your opinions!

Thanks!

HEY DAVID!!!

What I did is 2 1/2 through 2 18" glass packs to 3" to a Magnaflow muffler (in the stock location) 3" in and 3" out. My car is quiet (sleeper) and makes some noise when I get on it. Most of all it has a real nice sound!!!!

JOEY

Guest Phil1934

Not running yet but the Hooker Aero is dual 2-1/2" into 3". Makes more ground clearance under rear diff mount if add a second notch. Muffler is too long for off the shelf 90* so need Covell's donuts or pie cut and pull together bigger radius ones.

David,

I ran 2 1/2" to an 'X' pipe then continued with dual 2 1/2" to the rear. Used a "frame clearance pipe" to get under the suspension on the passenger side and then crossed both pipes over to the stock postion to run through a magnaflow muffler - dual 2 1/2" in and single out. It has a really good sound. At 2 1/2" they are still the lowest point under my car. Larger diameter pipes will be even lower. CAreful on ground clearance. It talked about it in more detail in one of my LS1/T56 update posts.

Bill

Not running yet but the Hooker Aero is dual 2-1/2" into 3". Makes more ground clearance under rear diff mount if add a second notch. Muffler is too long for off the shelf 90* so need Covell's donuts or pie cut and pull together bigger radius ones.

Check Aerochamber off your quiet list as it is anything but sleepr! Compression ratio will play a big part of how loud your ride will be. I run 11:1, dual 2.5s into a flowmaster Y, 3" Aerochamber 14" offcenter in, center outlet. Honest, I've set off car alarms driving by. Shakes the house, rattles the windows, people three blocks away will be turning around, forget any conversation with your rider, the winged and stickered crowd pretend to tune their radio when you pull up at intersections. Different strokes...I prefer the "You don't want to mess with this" sound over sleeper.

John

I've got the 2 1/2" offset inlet/center outlet Aero-Chamber on mine with a resonator tip and it's actually not that loud. Before I put the tip on it was pretty throaty but the exhaust exited under the car and filled the cabin with fumes. The tip was just to extend the exit past the end of the car but it also muted the rumble a bit and now it's hard to tell what's under the hood, more because it has a very unique sound than because it's quiet.

I was wanting to have the sleeper sound and I came close but I have an LT1 so your final result may be different. I think you'll have a very hard time getting it quiet with large diameter piping and a free-flowing muffler.

My full system is Headman Tight Tube headers with 1 5/8" primaries and 2 1/2" collectors (I think) into 2 1/4" pipes back to a Y just behind the tranny, then 2 1/2" to the muffler. I'm very happy with how it sounds although I'm probably leaving a little power on the table with the smaller piping.

Wheelman

There is a guy in my area who has an LT1 swapped into his older 740 series Volvo. Its really quiet. I believe he's just using two Dynomax (or Magnaflow) 3" mufflers inline. You can barely tell its not stock, untill he really gets all over it. The oval mufflers are generally quieter than their round counterparts. At least that's been my experience with Mustangs. Oh...and the longer the muffler body, the less noisy. Magnaflow and Borla also have lifetime warranties. A good thing to remember.

Don't know what would fit easily in your space confines, but I generally really like the sound of Borla mufflers. Never heard them behind an LS1, but everything I've heard them on sounds nice... quiet at idle and mellow at cruise, but let's you know something ain't stock at WOT.

I've also heard that the Dynomax Super Turbo, while relatively inexpensive, is one of the better flowing and mellower sounding mufflers out there.

I have a LT1 with Sanderson headers to 2 1/2 pipes that enter a Y behind the T56. This then enters a 3" bullet muffler before the diff and continues as 3" before it exits in the normal place via a dynomax super turbo muffler.

It was quite a bit of work to make it fit so that looks as if it was supposed to be there. I was initially dissapointed as it is very quiet untill you stomp on it, definitely a sleeper.