HybridZ

Second glance 350Z

dsommer

Walking the dog Friday night, I came across a Performance model 350Z sitting in somebody’s drive way. Naturally I had to check it out. I’ve seen a silver model running around town, which I got to look at close up but it never really did anything for me. BUT this white one, sheezzz. Something about it just did it for me. It’s low slung, curvy body, flared out fenders. Ooooooo, what’s this? Uh, window sticker, this puppy’s brand spankin’ new. $32,800. I’d love to drive one but don’t think the dealers are just handing out the keys for tire kickers just yet.

I don’t care for any of the dark colored models due to those nice silver door handles that stick out like a sore thumb. White hell yeah.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with ya there!!! Although I haven't driven one I feel that they could wring some MORE POWER out of the 3.5L to make a world class sports car that would still be affordable.

Damn thing was in the guys driveway again last night. One night I'm sure he'll leave the keys in it for me. haha :D

No turbos? No dice! It's a pretty face but no ballz IMO.
I have to agree. The styling is growing on me now. They are becoming very common here in SoCal, and the more I see them the more I appreciate the lines of the car, but I just don't understand why, with the off the shelf stuff that Nissan has in both Turbo and V8 configurations, they went with a V6. This car could have been in the SuperCar status class, like the Supra was/is. At least they should have an option choice, maybe a Super GT option or something that comes with 400 horsepower.

Hmmm....seems to be all show and no go.

Tim

I dont mind that it doesnt have turbos! I loved the last generation 300Zs but they were what 40K for a TT? That is the whole reason they stopped making them. They got just a little too big for their britches. The new 350 is suppose to be along the same lines as the 240. Great performance and handeling for the price. What new car can you get that will out perform the 350Z for under 35K? The Mustang might hang with it in a straight line.

IMO, this car ROCKS! And you know with the 3.5L the aftermarket will be there!

Guest Anonymous

Shouldn't be a problem that they have no turbos. Most our cars never came with turbos so you guys did something about it. Im anxious to see what the aftermarket and tuners has to bring to the new Z.

Originally posted by Tim240Z:

Hmmm....seems to be all show and no go.

Tim

Man, are you jaded! Do I misremember, or does the 350Z not put out almost as much horsepower as the previous generation 300tt? Isn't it just a tad slower in the quarter and in 0-60 trials than the turbocharged car, but with a normally aspirated motor? Aren't the skidpad numbers better, too?

As has been suggested, let the aftermarket tuners do their thing and see what happens. I'm sure with forced induction the new Z will be an awesome machine, but even straight from the factory floor it's no slouch. Give some credit where credit's due.

As Far as turbo charging, the factor has no idea to make it, but said that stillen was already working on resolveing that problem(From what I have heard).

The convertable version will be out as a 2004 model, but be available about the same time next year. No rock solid word if it's a hard top or soft top, but Nissan said they had it as a hard top.

Uh, for 35K you could buy a number of cars that would CLEAN its clock... The numbers advertised are at the flywheel, not the rear wheel... Found that out from one of the guys at Nissan. The Ford Mustank Cobra is cracking 390 AT the WHEELS... That my friends is REAL power. twak.gif

For 35K I'd have to look at the front drive Hyundai Tiburon and some custom bolt ons, or a two year old C5 vette. I'm liking the 350Z more and more when I see it on the road, but not 35K worth, no way, no how...

nono.gif

Mike

Originally posted by Mikelly:

Uh, for 35K you could buy a number of cars that would CLEAN its clock... The numbers advertised are at the flywheel, not the rear wheel... Found that out from one of the guys at Nissan.

This is news to you? Advertised horsepower values are always crank. (If not always, then 99.99% of the time)

The Ford Mustank Cobra is cracking 390 AT the WHEELS... That my friends is REAL power.
Yeah. That's because the Ford has two more cylinders, and a liter and a half more displacement. I'll agree that the Mustang wins the "bang for the buck" category, but what the Nissan is doing with 3.5 liters is still pretty impressive. And Ford is claiming 390 at the flywheel. If local boys are getting that at the wheels, more power to them.

Also, consider that imports in just about every category are more expensive than their American counterparts. Why? Because many US drivers will pay for the reliability. Not having to go into the dealer a couple of times a year is worth a 10-20% premium to many. Also, how long will the Mustang be putting down those numbers? I've had three Z's with original engines in them that had well over 100,000 miles on them (one had rolled the clock twice!) How many Mustangs last that long? Of course, that's probably because idiot teenagers owners wind the crap out of them. And you can get around this problem by eating depreciation and buying a new car every two years.

For 35K I'd have to look at the front drive Hyundai Tiburon and some custom bolt ons, or a two year old C5 vette. I'm liking the 350Z more and more when I see it on the road, but not 35K worth, no way, no how...

Mike

Yeah, and if you bought the Tiburon, in five years you'd have a five year old piece of dog poop in your driveway. It's an attractive car, but it's still a Hyundai, with all that implies. Longevity? What's that?

The Corvette is a sexy car, and I can't say much about it other than I hear repair costs are pretty high. I'd rather have a Corvette, myself. But then again, if we're looking at the used semi-exotic market, I'd take a 6-speed BMW 540i over both of them, hands down.

If I absolutely had to buy a new car, I'd probably buy a Mustang GT. I know that probably sounds idiotic considering what I just wrote, but the twelve grand in savings will allow me to justify a LOT of imperfections. One of my friends has a 2001 GT, and it's fast enough, cheap enough, and solid enough to overcome my objections to American iron.

Just my opinions. Them and a buck will get you a cup of joe down at the local Waffle House. smile.gif

Guys,

I think everyone is judging the car too soon. There is a black one around me that goes flying around and it really sounds, and looks nice. I think the car has a modern look with historical points (kinda like Ford did with the Mustang and T-bird). When this guy goes by the house it really gets moving. Every test I have seen of the car has basically said that you are getting supercar performance for GM money. This car was built for balance and handling not for just straight line speed. I have the 3.5 in my Maxima and that goes 0-60 in under 7 senconds. This engine has some good power and really good potential. I know my views aren't the popular one but the way this car is reminds me more of a 240Z than the past two 300ZX versions. I give Nissan a big 2thumbs.gif

Guest Anonymous

I have an Infiniti Q45 and on a recent trip to the dealer, had a test drive of the G35 Coupe. I was a bit skeptic and even critical of the car.

But once you start that engine, you'll change your mind very quickly. This car is a very, very nice package. I couldn't find fault in the car at all, I mean the interior of the coupe was nice. The leather was soft but not pampering, you could tell it was a high-quality leather. The interior build quality was higher than that of the G35 Sedan and in some ways, superior to many cars that were twice the price. All the gauges, meters were ergonomically placed.

Once you start rolling, wow this really is an amazing car. The shifter is THE best shifter around. This is coming from a person whose driven cars with awesome, precise shifters such as the Acura NSX, Acura Type R and BMW M3. But the G35 really takes the cake. The shifter felt so natural and gently "snapped" into place. The electronically controlled throttle is as smooth as glass and very, very responsive. Brakes are pretty much superior to anything I've ever driven and knocks off the BMW M3 in terms of bite, feel and stopping distance.

This car felt very alive and everything is so nicely integrated. The suspension was very tight and there was very little body roll but was not too harsh. Wow!! For those of you dismissing this car already, sure there are cars that are cheaper that can get you from point A to point B faster. You can't get a car this refined and this balanced until start looking at the Porsches, M3's, etc. that cost substantially more. Besides, the VQ35DE has been around awhile and turbo and s/c kits are popping up everywhere. There are kits for the Altima that make nearly 300rwhp with 6psi of boost, so these motors can make quite a bit of power.

This is really an enthusiasts car and a car that the engineers dreamed of building. All I can say is, I've found the heir to my 240Z... :D

Wow didn't mean to stir up a wave here guys...

RPMS, I feel you hit the nail on the head, no offense Mikelly (because I damn near hold your word as gospel concerning Z's (compliment!!! hail.gif ))

I do feel that there are some GREAT cars out there for $38+K. Hell I'd be thrilled with a ZR-1 vette, 91-94 with ahemmm, 405 horse engines, 6 speeds, A/C, leather Bose, for around $21,000 are a bargin. Shoot there was an honest to goodness LINGENFELTER (90 MODEL) on e-bay a while back that sold for $21,000.00. The guy had it listed incorrectly, it did show up under a generic search as Lingenfelter but NEVER showed up under Corvettes. HaHa the lucky guy that got that, he stole it 2thumbs.gif . The Lingenfelter upgrade is around $14000 itself. That makes this an $75K car, new sticker plus Lingenfelter package. WOW!!! 475Hp.

Mustang Cobras are BAD ASS period. SS Camaro, with a few upgrades it's a kick butt car and can be had reasonably too. Viper, I wish way to $$$. Vette yeah but they are becoming like A-holes everybody's got one. One reason I like a particular car is for "the look" I don't see Vipers evey day but I do see, Vettes, TransAM's, Mustangs, Camaros out da butt and lot's o Boxters (latest and greatest Yuppie (sp) car around here) So it's refreshing to see a 350Z like eye candy, different lines. For 30K for a car I would seriously consider a Factory Five Cobra. See this link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1872867926&indexURL=5&photoDisplayType=2#ebaylargephotohosting

When I meet the owner of the white 350Z I can tell him "hey I've got an original Z (240) in the garage" HaHa does this guy really know and understand the original Z? Probably not so as I ease that aluminum headed, full roller 350 in my Z over the winter I'll know that the car I eventually drive down the road was built by me for me. I've got just about ALL the parts I need to get the car put back together I just need motivation, still missing her...God I miss her. I'll get it together eventually me and the car. F#ck it's hard some days, 3 months today...sorry about that.

Later...

I will have the last laugh because:

1 you don't see many 240's around here

2 it WILL run off and leave many of the cars mentioned in this post in the rear view mirror

3 it's paid for

Build, drive and improve the Z thats what I'll do.

Dream build, 77-81 Trans Am, solid roof, shaker hood, supercharged LS-1 with a 6 speed and AC. (next time!!! First the Z)

dsommer

Scott, Longevity of american cars??? I have a 1995 Mustang GT with TONS of mods that gets driven HARD every weekend. It has 123,000 miles on it... I could get in it right now and drive to that Waffle house in Texas and have Breakfast with you... My GMC Truck with a 350 in it has 247,000 miles on it, and made the 200K mark before I broke the crank due to towing abuse...

As for the HP numbers, I've read three different articles related to the new Z that stated the HP to be at the wheels... BLKMGK has posted several times about what local cobra owners are seeing on the dyno... Search the archives for that data.

The Tiburon Might just hold its value due to the fact that apparantly the company has had a pretty agressive turn around. My sister owns one of the older econo boxes, and you are right scott, they were pretty crappy little POSes. However, I'm telling you, the new car is impressive. I think Hyundai did a bang up job on this one. 2thumbs.gif

In the end it all boils down to personal taste. Its like picking women I guess! :D

yes the new cobra makes alot of power and is one badass car. BUT it already has a recall on them because the motors are blowing up... so HA!

I test drove the new Z and all i can say is wow.

from going to my Z32 300zx to that thing made my Z feel like it couldnt handle, and feel like a sports car.

i will say the shifter felt great, but i say 2nd best, right after the S2000's.

The sound the motor makes at about 5500rpms is something words cant discribe.. its beautiful.

the interior is 100000000000000 times better then any vette ever made, its on par with say M3's and 911's. pedal placement was perfect.

and it was fun to get the rear end out with easy.. this car was ment for driving and thats it....

and so what if they dont have turbo's... in Japan they already have the motor in a Twin Turbo setup, so im sure we will find these motors soon enough on our side of the world, with some nut trying to put it in the Z.

also there is already exhausts and even a supercharger out i think soon.

Z IS BACK!

mike

Guest Anonymous

ON3GO,

You should try the G35 track package with Brembo brakes. Tests have shown that it is actually faster than the Premium 350Z despite weighing slightly more and having 2hp less. Strange.

But wow, this car is awesome. In a straight-line it's probably not as fast as a Z28 or Mustang GT but you could embarass both of those cars on a road course. The handling was THAT good. Very confidence-inspiring. With a sportier suspension and top-of-the-line rubber, say Firestone Firehawk SZ50's or G-Force's, this car's a force to be reckoned with in AutoX.

BTW, MotorTrend just named both the Infiniti G35 sedan and coupe the Car of the Year.