HybridZ

Dynoed the 280..

Well today was the day I put the car on the dyno. I will update the thread when I have time to scan all 5 pulls. The best results out of all the runs were 270rwhp / 322 ft lbs torque.(All pulls were preformed in 4th gear) Just curious what everyone thinks of the results .. I am pretty happy with many mods still available and more tuning to do. :) Air fuel was about 11.53 straight across. Timing at idle is 20 degrees and in boost about 16-17 degrees. (All runs ranged from 15-17 lbs ) Note: All runs were on 93 octane.

Mods:

Rebuilt 83 turbo motor

bored out .20 over with new pistons

P90a head rebuilt with 3 angle valve job

NPR intercooler with 2.25 mandrel bent hotside piping / 2.5 inch coldside

Greddy type-s (Junk) blow off valve

ACT heavy duty pressure plate w / modified disk (T-5 Transmission)

Garret T3/T4 hybrid turbo (57 trim compressor , .63 A/R with stage 3 exhaust)

3 inch mandrel downpipe / 3 inch straight through piping with Dynomax straight through muffler

8.5 mm MSD plug wires

Ngk bpr7es11 plugs

Crane performance coil

89 turbo z31 ecu

Bosch 420cc injectors

Walbro 255lph fuel pump

75' intake manifold w/ 60mm throttle body

93 Cobra AFM with K&N cone filter - I think this is all of it.

Guest bastaad525

what kind of dyno was it?

it's always good to mention what type of dyno you tested on, as it helps put the numbers more in perspective.

I hate to be the first one to say this, but if you are truly running 15/17psi on a T3/4, I'm VERY surprised you got 'only' 270rwhp. There are a couple guys putting down about that much on the stock T3 at around those boost levels. I would expect well over 300hp to the wheels... but again, the type of dyno you tested on will factor into this.

Even on a Dynapack dyno though (which are widely known to test relatively low compared to say, a Dynojet) I put down 230rwhp and like 270ftlbs of torque on the stock T3 at only 12psi... I find it really hard to believe that 3-5 more psi on a MUCH better turbo is only worth 40hp/30ftlbs.

Very impressive setup though, with the mods you listed there is potential for HUGE amount of power there.

EDIT: I know my requests are going largely ignored but I'm going to keep persisting... can we PLEASE get a dyno database to go along with the timeslip database?

The dynos were preformed on a dynojet. I was expecting a lot more power as well but the way the car was pulling I guessed around what it put down. 270whp and 322 ft / lbs is still not bad. I was thinking it would be over 300 on those type of boost levels but there is still more things needed to be done as well as playing with the timing on certain levels. I really didn't get any pinging but I thought the boost was high enough for the day. Anyone have any similar setups with timing tips .. or any recommendations for gains? Tuesday I plan to go find some electric fans, heat wrap the downpipe / intercooler cold side and a few other small things but nothing major until I have enough for an alcohol injection kit. :emo:

I really wasn't watching the gauge much on the dyno the whole time being I dynoed the car myself a few times and then was trying to set the manual boost controller while the dyno was being preformed. I plan to get a nice electronic boost controller and switch to my 14 lb spring wastegate ( I am running the stock 7lb actuator) I also need to figure out what is causing this very loud surging sound and maybe robbing some power. So far it just seems to blow off valve is leaking boost .. I dunno forsure yet :x

I hate to be the first one to say this, but if you are truly running 15/17psi on a T3/4, I'm VERY surprised you got 'only' 270rwhp. There are a couple guys putting down about that much on the stock T3 at around those boost levels. I would expect well over 300hp to the wheels... but again, the type of dyno you tested on will factor into this.

I gotta say I would second that, the numbers you got are almost identical to the numbers I got in 1993/4 on a Clayton In-Ground Dyno on my 73 240Z running Alcohol Injection, no I/C, and 17# of boost with a T3 Carburettted Blow-Through.

I think that T3/T4 has more for you...

Perobably will last longer than my T3 did running those boost levels the way I drive, too! LOL

But good numbers nonetheless. I think there's more to be had. Probably with some more spark advance. I believe I was running 20 degrees at 17#... And that was on an 8.5:1 C.R. Block (N42/N42 JDM Block and Head)

Keep us posted on the progress. I will be interested to see what the terminal numbers are---there is more! Muahahahahaha!

Guest bastaad525

yeah especially from a dynojet those numbers seem kinda low. Conversely, that is still a heck of a lot of power especially for these light-azz cars, should be more than enough to make that a 12 second 1/4 mile car.

To put it another way, if suddenly I woke up tommorow and MY car was making that power I'd be ecstatic :D

Well as we all seem to agree, at least you know this is really just the tip of the iceberg for you, once you track down any problems and tune it a bit there is SO much more power to be had there.

Thanks guys! I'll keep everyone updated as far as changes and gains. When I was dynoing the car is sounded like a loud blast of air as if the blow off valve is leaking or the turbo is surging (The motor started to shake) I am not exactly sure as of yet, I am going to see if switching the actuator signal line helps, I had problems in the past due to where it was at.

Your setup is similar to mine and your making better #'s then me. I was only able to get 250/290trq at 16psi. Are you running a JWT ecu? I just tried to make a dyno appointment at a JBA shop that has dynoed my car befor and they tell me they don't have the technology to dyno my car. I said I will do any tuning I just want dyno time! "We only do domestic cars, we don't have any techs that can work on foriegn cars". I said you still know how to put it on the dyno right? Yeh but we won't do it. What the hell!? I will try to get mine dynoed somewhere and see how the compare. I have not dynoed since I add a 3" dp and external wg new fuel rail and MSD. Keep trying to get the slips posted, I'd like to see them.

I think your peak power is right on the mark. 270 hp is what a stock L28 makes at 17 psi of boost when everything is working perfect. So, I think you have the peak hp tuned about right.

Maybe your timing is a bit low which could be hurting mid range torque and maybe a little high rpm hp. I can run 25 degrees of total timing at 15 psi of boost with 93 octane on a hot day. I'm sure you could run at least 20 to 22 degrees at 17 psi.

If you want more power, you will need to increase boost or add a bigger cam (more rpms) or better exhaust or some head work. Sure there is more power available with a T3/T4 if the engine is setup to use it. Just because you have a hybrid turbo doesn't mean the engine will automatically make more power. What wastegate are you using?

Peak power is great but it is also a good idea to tune for power in the mid ranges where you use the engine the most. How does the torque curve look in the mid rpm range?

I am using the stock actuator right now. I have another one that is a 14 lb spring in my garage I plan on putting on. I will try to get the graphs up later. My dad is suppose to scan them for me at his job. I took the highest hp number / torque numbers when I say I got 270 / 322. Pretty much for the reason changes were made on the dyno with my laptop and saved.. so I have the ecu setup to preform how it did on certain runs with the changes. The highest hp on one solid run was 270 / 305 .. then another with less hp and 322 ft lbs.. I'll post up later.

Guest bastaad525
I think your peak power is right on the mark. 270 hp is what a stock L28 makes at 17 psi of boost when everything is working perfect. So' date=' I think you have the peak hp tuned about right.

[/quote']

Um, yeah if you're running the stock T3.

You're using that formula again aren't you? I mentioned before, I'll say it again, one of the flaws of that equation is that it does NOT account for the efficiency of the turbo. You will NOT make the same power with a stock T3 at, say, 15 psi, as you would on a T3/04 Hybrid turbo at 15psi. That formula may be good for approximation but it just can't account for so many variables.

Now I know of one guy specifically from these boards, Garret76zt (I may be off with the screen name), who is running the stock T3 at I believe either 15 or 17 psi, with all the other upgrades like I/C, 370 injectors, 3" exhaust, big bore TB, and he made 276 rear wheel hp and like 320 ftlbs of torque. ON THE STOCK T3. Jersey runs 18psi on the stock T3 and runs 12.4 in the 1/4 mile at some ungoldy MPH that also equates to close to 300rwhp.

I can't think of any specific names right now but I KNOW I've heard of guys getting well over 300 hp at around 15psi on a T3/04. The T3/04 is so much more efficient especially at those boost levels which is really it's sweet spot, unlike the T3 which starts losing efficiency even at 10psi.

You are missing the point.

If the turbo efficency is bad then the hp will be less than what the formula estimates. The formula estimates the perfect situation.

if you engine is making 125hp without turbo then, in theroy, it can't make anymore hp then 270 at 17psi of boost. It can only get worst.

I don't care what turbo charger you use t3 or t3/t4, you can't make something from nothing.

A t3/t4 with a better flowing exhaust turbine would increase the base line hp slightly due to less restrictive exhaust. But boost is boost as long as the efficency isn't too bad.

Oh, I forget to mention L28et stock do make 180hp at the wheels with a IC. Yes, a good IC is part of the formula because it doesn't account for heating of the air. And yes, I can dig up some dyno sheets from my friends car showing 180hp with stock boost.

You are missing the point.

If the turbo efficency is bad then the hp will be less than what the formula estimates. The formula estimates the perfect situation.

if you engine is making 125hp without turbo then' date=' in theroy, it can't make anymore hp then 270 at 17psi of boost. It can only get worst.

I don't care what turbo charger you use t3 or t3/t4, you can't make something from nothing.

A t3/t4 with a better flowing exhaust turbine would increase the base line hp slightly due to less restrictive exhaust. But boost is boost as long as the efficency isn't too bad.

Oh, I forget to mention L28et stock do make 180hp at the wheels with a IC. Yes, a good IC is part of the formula because it doesn't account for heating of the air. And yes, I can dig up some dyno sheets from my friends car showing 180hp with stock boost.[/quote']

Theory is one thing and real world results are another. I make 313 hp at 16 psi with a small T3/T04 (V-trim). One of the reasons mine may make a little more than most is my a/f ratio is running 12 to 12.5 to 1. And my dyno runs were on a DynoJet.

Boost is not "boost". Airflow is what makes power, boost is a symptom of a restriction in the intake or exhaust. Efficiency, either in the turbo or the intercooler, makes a HUGE difference in power production.