HybridZ

Subframe installation idea

Ok I know there is a ton of info on this. (cause I just read it all :P)

There are also opinions on using jack stands or a rotisserie when installing subframe connectors, I just put my 280 back on the Rotisserie last night, So I’m going that route, But here is my question, What if I Install them with the car upside-down, This way if there is any sag that it would be in preload, and when upright and weight added (reassembled car and my mass) that it would be straight at load.

(sort of like a semi trailer )

Or is this pointless and the body is stiff enough not to worry about it,

Oh and its a bare shell.

Any opinions?

I don't know if this will help or not. But when you make a tubeframe you don't preload it. I think a lot of the issue with subframe connectors is when you have the car up on a lift to install them. In that case the chassis may have some loading that isn't the same as if it were supported by the wheels.

So if you just have a bare chassis I think you're fine. That's generally been how I've done this in the past.

Cary

The thought you need to have is: "If I preload that area - what effect does it have on the surrounding areas and the way they are now loaded?"

With a unibody structure everything is interrelated. Probably not disastrous but why not just weld up normally?