HybridZ

Check This V8 Powered 240SX S13...Yum..Pics

slownrusty

not to bash on this guys swap and hard work but i wouldnt think that a toyota 4 litre or 4.3 litre, not sure which it is, would roar. There are much better nissan v8's out there that are jsut as smooth and much mroe potent, i think this engine is on its last legs at lexus/toyota. Also since the avalons 6 cylinder makes 280hp and this v8 makes 300 i believe. That being said it is very cool

Rudypoochriss,

Those Toyota V8s are awesome engines and much more compact than the Nissan V8s. Toyota spent millions developing them and they can be made to produce tons of power for a very light weight compact package. Do some more research on them, I'm sure you'll be impressed.

I really want ot use one in a future project, just haven't decided yet what it will be, kind of want to do something that will be Street Mod class legal so it wouyld have to be a Toyota brand car.

That is a very nice swap BTW. Lots of hard work making it that clean.

Wheelman

i did do some research and it is nice that they are small and light, but 300hp and 300lbft of torque, i think those are the numbers, atleast in the gs v8 any way, just isnt that much anymore. Hey its still alot mroe then my small block 302 im putting into my project but, i jsut dont get why this guy used this v8 when the four he had can make jsut as much with less money/weight. Thats all, i do appreciate the amount of work he put in though it is quite immaculate. good swap

Guest Battle Pope

I can attest to that. The 4.5 in my Q45 looks just as wide as the 460 going in the Z. I know that's partly due to the wider heads, but the whole engine just looks oversized for the displacement.

Actually it isn't less money unless he already had an SR20DET in it and the weight arguement is also debatable when you add the turbo stuff. My guess is it came with a KA24DE which is more expensive to mod because there are fewer parts. The SR20 is much more expensive than the Toyota V8 and definitely doesn't have the WOW factor. Maybe 300HP isn't much anymore but it's still a whole lot more than he started with. The UZ1FE and UZ2FE (Toyota V8s) are much more durable at those power levels than a KA24 or SR20 also.

Admit it, it's a bitchin swap!!!

Wheelman

300lbft of torque

I think you pretty much answered your own question. Combine that with a super smooth curve, reliability, cost and bling factor, it makes more sense.

There are turbo MR2 guys that ditch the 3SGTE in favor of Supercharged Toyota 1MZ and 3VZ V6s, they don't have the potential of a built 3SGTE, but for torque, drivability and reliability, its hard to beat. I'm guessing the same sort of reasoning went into this, even if he started with a CA18DET or SR20DET (its RHD.)

Maybe some day I will be able to build a car half that nice. That is gorgeous. I love swaps that have a "factory" look to it. Like someone really took the time to think out how everything should fit together rather than the one off look of most hand built swaps.

As far as engine choices, kind of hard to argue any of the Japanese V8's when a small block chevy has to be the performance for the $$ champ.

the only SBC I'd bother with is an LS1 as the others are too heavy, and even an LS1 is too friggin' big to me.

It's a very, very clean swap with TONS of attention to detail. But unfortunately I don't like it. It'll make the car too nose-heavy, and you could have more power AND torque at the wheels by boosting a stock-bottom-end KA24DE. For an SR, 300wHP and 300wTQ are almost a non-event.

Guest ON3GO

just to let you guys know.. that engine isnt very heavy at all.

and from the looks of it he ditched alot of stuff to save weight... a/c, power steering, heat, etc.

i would put money on it that its just as light or close as a fully fuctional SR20DET is.

i love it!!!

mike

Guest Tommo

This car is located in Sydney, Australia actually... :) So to us it's a 180SX.

This particular model came with a auto / CA18DET, so he had to upgrade somewhere along the line.

A lot of time has been spent on this car, the more time you look at the photos, i'm sure you'll see what I mean. Little things like where the boosters have gone, etc etc. It's all ready for the turbos, from the prepped box to the autotronic with ebc already being installed / wired up etc etc. It's only a matter of time :)

I laugh everytime I hear this thing start up, I don't ever think i'll get used to the sound, considering every other 180SX over here has a SR20 (aka, truck motor)

It's a very, very clean swap with TONS of attention to detail. But unfortunately I don't like it. It'll make the car too nose-heavy, and you could have more power AND torque at the wheels by boosting a stock-bottom-end KA24DE. For an SR, 300wHP and 300wTQ are almost a non-event.

No, the engines are literally not that much heavier than a SR. It's been on the weigh bridge before and after and the difference was less than you think, and more importantly nothing that can't be dialed out with the correct suspension adjustments. Besides, this car is being setup to go fast in a straight line, certainly not for drifting / hill climbs etc. For what the owner wants from the car, a V8 is a much better choice than a SR. You'll be struggling to get massive power out of the SR, whereas a V8 will run the numbers with much more ease. 1U owners can get 600kw with a few turbos attached and some smart mods, try getting a SR that will do that (and maintain some form of driveability)

Anyway, hope this has been some insight for you, thats why i'm posting in here. Owner is a champion, and he's done ALL of the work himself over three years by slowly doing this (but most importantly, doing them right!!). Plenty more mods to come in time ;)

Cheers,

Tommo.

Guest bastaad525
i did do some research and it is nice that they are small and light, but 300hp and 300lbft of torque, i think those are the numbers, atleast in the gs v8 any way, just isnt that much anymore. Hey its still alot mroe then my small block 302 im putting into my project but, i jsut dont get why this guy used this v8 when the four he had can make jsut as much with less money/weight. Thats all, i do appreciate the amount of work he put in though it is quite immaculate. good swap

maybe for some of the same reasons guys choose V8's for their Z's instead of L28's? a lot of people don't LIKE turbocharged motors, they dont like the lag, or the lack of power before the turbo kicks in, or high strung high revving four cylinders. Having driven both big V8 cars and now my turbocharged 240z, I can definately think of a few ways a V8 is 'better' than a smaller turbo'd motor. Now with the 2.8L at least you are dealing with a motor that is not very high strung and has some torque already, and they do make a lot of torque very early with the stock T3. Of course the V8 will make power from almost any point in the rev range :) And Toyota makes the best motors in the world hands down.

I think it's an awesome swap, it looks great, I'm sure it runs fantasic, I'm sure it will be very reliable for the rest of time, and 300hp in a very light S13 makes for a fast car, for sure. Plus being a Toyota you KNOW that motor runs smooth.

I'd trade my car for his any day :D

No, the engines are literally not that much heavier than a SR. It's been on the weigh bridge before and after and the difference was less than you think, and more importantly nothing that can't be dialed out with the correct suspension adjustments. Besides, this car is being setup to go fast in a straight line, certainly not for drifting / hill climbs etc. For what the owner wants from the car, a V8 is a much better choice than a SR.

but you can remove the same stuff from an SR car and still be much lighter :D The problem is not with his car, it's with me :icon44: I'm just not a straight-line guy, so I'm not going to appreciate it as much as some others. It is still fine work and very very clean. And the fact that you mentioned turbos adds a little more :icon52: factor to it...

P.S. You can't change weight distribution and moment of inertia with suspension settings :D sorry, just more cylinder envy I guess :twak:

that is the best looking V8 swap in an s13 i've ever seen, absolutly spectacular. seeing as the weight diff between that and the sr isn't far off, i'd so take the yota motor, sr's have no lowend. i'd rather turbo a ka tho. get new pistons, cause the stock skirts and rings arn't that great for boost, and run 250hp easy and have some lowend power.