HybridZ

Vin verification..anyone done it in CA

Tim240z

I need to get my Hybrid Z's VIN verified because when I bought it, it hadn't been registered for too long. I have gone so far as to put it in my name, and get it back into the computer, but to get it registered, I have to go back to the AAA to have the VIN verified.

Herein lies my problem. I want to get the drivetrain in, but I don't want to take it to the Auto Club with a honking V8 in it (covert convertion :D ). Do they check the firewall stamp, or just the tag that is rivetted to the dash? If they don't use the firewall stamp, I will just swap dash tags with my other 240, and drive it in.

What do ya all think? Otherwise I will need tro rent a tow dolly and tow it to the AAA, without the drivetrain installed....PITA!!

Tim

Tim:

Several weeks ago when I registered Lone's prior Z at AAA, I asked them about registering my other '72 240 regarding fees, taxes, etc., which has been off the road since early '83. It doesn't matter what engine you have in it, because that is not what they are looking at. They just want to ID the Vin, matching it to the vehicle being registered. This is done to curtail 10851 (stolen) vehicles, from becoming reregistered. Once that happends, recovery becomes more of a problem.

So put your worries to rest. They only want to check the Vin on the vehicle, and nothing on the motor! Hope that helps.

2thumbs.gif Comps...VAN

Thanks for the replies guys. I have the Title and old registration form and have all the Vin Verification forms. I tried to have the local cops stop by the house, but they said it had to be a CHP, or DMV agent.

I understand that they are mainly worried about the VIN matching the title, but me, in my paranoia, am scared that the inspector will see the LT1 and say something like "Oh, by the way, you will need to get that engine checked out by the inspection station!"

Tim

Well, it's all done!!

Thanks to a member here, who emailed me with a suggestion, I had a third party DMV company to come to the house and do it!! It cost me $50, but well worth it!! :D

As for worrying about having a V8 in the Z......when she arrived, my 71 Chevy truck was parked in the driveway, which we used to 'lean' on to fill out the paperwork. Well after writing in the model of the car (Datsun 240Z), she asks me to pop the hood on the truck ugg.gif . Holy cow the Z must have done quite a morph!! malebitchslap.gif

Well it's done now, so I am VERY hapy!!

Tim

I just transfered a car from alabama to ohio and had to get the vin verified. The woman from the BMV looked at it and asked "WHAT is THAT"?

I really couldn`t blame her though, it WAS just an empty shell competely stripped except for suspension. :D

The woman at the title office also commented "you`ve got quite a fixer upper there". I said "yep, kinda" tongue.gif

Originally posted by Tim240Z:

...my 71 Chevy truck was parked in the driveway, which we used to 'lean' on to fill out the paperwork...she asks me to pop the hood on the truck...

Tim

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Too funny!!!!

Davy

go to or call your local tag office and ask them what you can do. i bought a 1970 240Z about 5 years ago (and havent done anything to it yet, but that's another story...). i bought it with only a bill of sale. no tag receipt and no title. the previous owner never sent it to the guy i bought the car from. he had the car for about six years and never did anything with it either.

i went by the local tag office and they gave me a vin verification form. i had to call the police and have them send out an officer to match the vin on my bill of sale with the vin on the car. he filled out the form. it took about 5 minutes and 4 of them were bs-ing with the cop. that's the process here in georgia anyway. i know you cali guys get it a little rougher, but i hope it's that easy for you, too. i got a tag for it the next day and never had to crank the car.