HybridZ

My VW Rabbit project... getting started 101

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

These cars are a pain!

Its a 1982 Rabbit L.. L is for loser, atleast in my cars case.

It hasnt ran in a gazillion years, but theres not much wrong with it body wise.

It has dents here and there, and the drivers fender was pretty messed up so i took that off.

My Theme for the car is gonna be sorta a rat rod/hot rod type deal..

Primer Black, with Gloss Black Vinyl stripe on the bottom of the car saying "Rabbit" in white.. its a old NOS item that was sold on the Rabbits back in the day. Porsche 928S wheels powdercoated in a either black or gun-metal and some Euro Spec GTI fender flares that ill paint gloss black.

Its a BIG budget car, i wanna see what i can make with little cash and not the right tools lol.

Today i power washed the whole car, then i fixed what dents were in the passenger front fender and primered it.. came out pretty good for a rattle can job. i still have to go over it with a DA and smooth it out abit, but i got it pretty smooth.

ill finish that side of the car next weekend and finish the hood.

Anyways heres some pics of the car, and what i did.

also some pics of the parts that will find there way on the car.

Motor im still looking for, a old 16V motor.. but that will come soon, im starting to make the twin turbo exhaust manifold for it.

enjoy.

PDR_1799.JPG

PDR_1820.JPG

PDR_1797.JPG

PDR_1804.JPG

PDR_1809.JPG

I also re-did the dash in black as it was all fadded red and etc. Turned out nicer then i though. Even though im putting in a Jetta or a Rocco dash in it i wanted to make it look nice for now. Its getting some Porsche 928S seats and maybe ill put my Butler Built Circle Track racing seat in it.

The fender flares are on there way, along with new tail lights that ill smoke, and a few other GTI and Euro Spec Parts.

gonna be a fun 400hp fwd go no where cuz no traction toy.

Mike

love the old Rabbits.

are you going to but the euro grill and headlights on it? personally thats a must have mod...maybe a sliding ragtop too?

the 928 wheels look sooo good on the old GTi's and Rabbits.

sounds like a good project and it looks like you have a solid car to build on. what ever happened to ole blue? oh, and the local PNP has a turbo short block in decent shape..didnt know if you still needed one.

Guest ON3GO

Sparky.. Im getting my L28ET block fixed.. should have it next week.

No on the rag top.. for now anyways.. i do love that thought.

Yes on the euro grill.. it seems that you have to get a whole new radiatior front support... screw that ill make it work the way it is.

its gonna be a fun car.

Juan.. lol.. there cool cars, i never drove one but how bad can it be lol.

mike

Guest ON3GO

VR6 is pricey.. very pricey.. and custom mounts and etc are needed.

1.8T's are pricey too lol.

the older 16V motors are great, but i hate the CIS system... so im not 100% sure what ill do.

mike

Mike the Wabbit is 4lug so are you going to run adapters to put the 928 wheels on it?

I hate CIS too...YUK...ak me how I know!

Guys are making BIG powa with the 2.0L 16V engines and turbocharging so lots of potential there. You just have to figure engine management.

Yasin

My previous autox / daily driver was an 84 GTI with suspension and some engine mods. Fun car and still going strong. My brothers got it now but it's been hit three times in the last year so the body is trashed. Last I knew it had over 250,000 miles on the engine with only a head gasket and still raced regularly! That things loves to rev. The engine will outlast the rest of the car. Anyone in Columbus Ohio area looking to get rid of one with a nice shell he will be looking for one to swap all the good parts to.

Cameron

Guest ON3GO
Mike the Wabbit is 4lug so are you going to run adapters to put the 928 wheels on it?

I hate CIS too...YUK...ak me how I know!

Guys are making BIG powa with the 2.0L 16V engines and turbocharging so lots of potential there. You just have to figure engine management.

Yasin

ya the rabbit is 4 lug.

i got some H&R adapters to run high offset porsche wheels.

and MAN i hate the CIS... i deal with it at work all the time, porsches, vw's etc.. it sucks sooo bad. if its running right then it works great but it never works well!

i was thinking the 2.0 16V but i cant find one.. any ideas?

and ill be running a Haltech E6K.

mike

Guest strokerZ

A friend of mine runs a turbocharged Wabbit. It is stupid fast..dynoed over 400RWHP...check it out on their website.. TAPPAUTO.COM They also have a street driven Talon that ran 9.89 with street tires...driven to and from the track.