HybridZ

Project Silver Bullet: 240Z LS1 update

The car was towed to the exhaust shop today. I met the driver there and watched as the car was driven (under it's own power) into the bay and onto the lift. So cool to hear it run with open headers. Pretty quiet at idle but as it cracks 3000 rpms you need ear plugs if you are close by.

I am so excited. They will have the exhaust finished up by lunchtime tomorrow then it goes back to the Hot Rod shop so they can hook up the A/C, finish up all the little BS stuff and hopefully get it back to me by Saturday Morning.

I can't even sleep at night. I just lay in bed thinking about the 1st drive.

I can't wait!

Sounds awsome, funny how when the bug really gets ahold of you it can have you doing some really crazy things...sleep depravation! I have worked on mine darn near all night only to sleep 60 minutes and then go into work. Like death warmed over.

Mike

I know the feeling - like the night before I went to purchase my first motorcycle (Yamaha RD 350 in '75).

Every other big purchase after that was no big thing, with the possible exception of the two houses...

The reason I went ahead and bought a MIG welder was so I could do the exhaust without having to tow it anywhere, as well as put in floorboards, subframe connectors and body panels.

my mom [yes my mom] had a yamaha rd 200, dad had a kawasaki 350 twin, both 2 strokers. i later bought my first road bike-in 1980, a 73 kawasaki 500 h1 3 cyl 2 stroker. handled like crap but was a blast to drive. like a big motocross bike on the street [sounded like one too with the expansion chambers i had on it].

dave, let us know how the virgin drive goes and b sure to post exhaust pics!@!

WOW DAVID!!

You are soooo close, you can taste it! Seems like the shop doing the work is on top of it. After the exhaust is done are you gonna drive it back to them to finish up? Sound like you will be cruising this weekend!!!

JOEY

P.S. You will "Enjoy the ride!"

WOW DAVID!!

You are soooo close' date=' you can taste it! Seems like the shop doing the work is on top of it. After the exhaust is done are you gonna drive it back to them to finish up? Sound like you will be cruising this weekend!!!

JOEY

P.S. You will "Enjoy the ride!"[/quote']

I am going to wait to drive it until it is finished. I know it is even more time to wait but I have waited this long so a few more days won't be too bad. I still have the hood, grill and front bumper here at home. I need to get them up to the shop so they can button it all up.

It will be towed back to the shop this afternoon. A/C lines should go in tomorrow. Friday should get all the little stuff done and I can go and get it Saturday.

It has been in the low 90's here for the past week with high humidity. Heat index of 100 degrees. Saturday is calling for a high of 87 so it should be a nice day to go for a cruise.

Of course' date=' you will be cruising up to Laurel this weekend to give me a ride, correct? HINT HINT :twak:

Great news, David - I can't wait to enjoy it in person![/quote']

Maybe next weekend, Pete.

The exhaust shop finished but we were not at all happy with the results of the 3" section. He said he was having problems with the pipe bender but it just didn't tuck up close enough for my liking and the welds were not very clean looking. He says he is going to redo it in 2 1/2" duals all the way back with an X pipe. He will be doing it tomorrow. I sent him pics of Bartmans exhaust to use as a comparison. We will copy that except we will run both pies to the stock muffler location and use a 2 inlet -1 outlet muffler.

Hopefully, he will finish it midday tomorrow so it can go back to the Hot Rod Shop and get finished Monday of Tuesday.

qwik240z,

Great to see that the Z is coming along. You are one of the first people that tried to help me get my Z. Now I am following in your steps to get my LS1 project done. I hope to see it at the convention this yr....

It looks like the 1st exhaust shop isn't qualified to do a good job so the car has been picked up from them and towed to a "Better" Shop.

The 1st guys didn't do a clean job and there wasn't any ground clearance. They had a mandrel bender but only for up to 2 1/2" pipe. All the 3 inch was being done on the regular bender. It looked like crap. The welds were not clean at all and the part that went under the rear suspension was 1 1/2" off the ground. They used to do nice work, I have seen some of their past jobs, but the guy that did them doesn't work there anymore and we were not aware of this when we dropped off the car.

The new shop does lots of custom work. They stock lots of performance mufflers, X pipes, Y pipes, etc. and are known to the racing community around here as the exhaust guys to go to. Hopefully, they will be able to do it right. They will mock it all up tomorrow and then I am going up there on Monday to check it out and make sure it is nice before they weld it all together. I will also get them to try out different mufflers so I can hear what it will sound like.

We will be going with dual 2 1/2" pipes to an X pipe behind the trans and then 2 1/2" pipes all the way back to the stock location where a 2 in/1 out muffler will be mounted.

The waiting is killing me but hopefully I will get it back by mid week next week.

Keeping my fingers crossed.