HybridZ

where can i get smaller bumpers for my 280z?

Guest soon2bturboz

Guest soon2bturboz

man the bumpers on my z are so huge and i see all these pics of others with smaller ones.. are they 240 bumpers? will they work? thanks

I would like to get the 240z fiberglass bumper for the lighter weight. For the look I am goin' for, I need them to be chrome. I there a way to chrome fiberglass? Or would it make sence to just get the steel bumper?

You can put a chrome finish on just about anything. The Summit catalog had a car on the cover (Impala I believe) with chromed fiberglass bumpers. Here's a site that does it:

http://www.xxxplating.com/

At the LA Auto Show last year they had a car that was completely painted in chrome. Here's a link to a company that produces chrome paint:

http://www.alsacorp.com/

I was thinking about it, but it's pretty expensive. I decided to just go with the chrome European bumpers on my Z.

If you do a search, you will find a few posts here about the mods required to install a 240 bumper on a 280z. I have one on my 280, but the rear I did a roll pan so no bumper there. I have a file somewhere on my computer that I wrote a while back on how to do this.. well, the way I did it. There are always a few ways of doing things. If you want, I can email it to you.

i was talking to roger at the zbarn about a 240z front bumper for my '73, and he recomended that i get knoxville custom chrome (the local custom chrome shop) to straighten my current bumper, weld up all the holes and give it fresh chorme. if they can fix my bumper (which roger says they can with no trouble) and do it for arround the $150 roger says they charge him, i don't see why you couldn't get a less-than-perfect 240 bumper and have them weld mounts that will match the 280z brackets while they are straightening and chroming.

this method would result in a bumper that looked completely stock.

--gabe

i was talking to roger at the zbarn about a 240z front bumper for my '73' date=' and he recomended that i get knoxville custom chrome (the local custom chrome shop) to straighten my current bumper, weld up all the holes and give it fresh chorme. if they can fix my bumper (which roger says they can with no trouble) and do it for arround the $150 roger says they charge him, i don't see why you couldn't get a less-than-perfect 240 bumper and have them weld mounts that will match the 280z brackets while they are straightening and chroming.

this method would result in a bumper that looked completely stock.

--gabe[/quote']If you're going to redo bumpers for a Z, I would seriously consider getting a bumper from a pre '73 car. These bumpers are smaller and mount closer to the body than 73 and later models.