HybridZ

Let me tell you about buying vehicles far away

auxilary

This weekend I headed down to San Diego to get my yzf600r. As pictures showed, it was decent looking, no cracked fairings, and ran. I've known that it sat around for a while, got started once in a while to get fluids moving, and it rode. It had low mileage, and price was...ok. I started getting some stuff for it too, like plugs, filter, oil, misc junk. I was aware of its major faults and that it had backdues on registration. My total estimated cost for a 97 600r with 14k miles on it, registration + back due, including rental + gas = 3k.

rented a chevy colorado so I could tow it back (450 miles each way) for 50/day + insurance + tax = $143 for 2 day rental

Drove to San Diego. Apparently annual horse races were this weekend, so I spent 2 hours in traffic NOT moving on 101 and 405. That was fun.

Arrived. Crashed at friend's place. Next morning drove out to get the bike.

At 5 feet, the bike looked fine. Upon close examination, it was oxidized EVERYWHERE. Goddamn FORKS were oxidized. not bad, but enough to have to replace them. Battery was dead, so push started the bike. Old gas + 12.5:1 compression ratio = crappy idle.

Chain was rusty. So was rear sproket. Brake, clutch levers were oxidized. All little bolts and nuts were oxidized. Spring lines = rusty. Faded windshield from sitting in the sun.

Bottom line, it's a pile of crap. If the bike was given to me for free and I had to do that drive again, I'd probably pass on it. I told the owner what I thought, and decided to cut my losses (he wouldn't budge on the price) and leave.

So long story short, don't ever try to buy vehicles out that are outside a 2 hour driving range. I spent $120 in gas (at least the L5 3.5liter colorado managed to get 23mpg at 80mph with AC on and tailgate down).

And came home emptyhanded. But easier than spending $$$$$ on repairs for a pos.

oh yeah, unless you live in california, canada, or europe, don't complain about gas prices:

PICT0032.sized.jpg

I would have, but I was really pressed for time.

I went to a clubsi BBQ in pismo, then took 101 down to SD. I hoped to check out the bike in leftover daylight saturday, but I spent 2 extra hours in traffic, so I had no time left.

Not a friend, but someone I know... and he neglected to mention the oxidation and rust. Otherwise it would've been an OK deal. And after seeing it today, I left depressed and headed straight home. I had to return the truck by 8pm to the rental agency.

Sorry man :|

Heck man, I bought my rx7 from a guy 20 mins away and it was enough hassle! He said he unpluged evrything in the engine bay; Not even maybe. One main harness has been choped off (about 20 wires) and there are various wires off/gone/disconected. A few interior parts, including the drivers door panel were not in the car (although he said evrything was) and I had to chase him for a week. On top of that, when I finally got the door panel, it was ripped to shreds! I looked at him and said "WTF man?!?" Oh.. yah, well.. I got the car like that. *ahem* (BULL$HITT) His wife told me (the day I looked at the car, before he was home) he had started taking it apart, before getitng wraped up in another project. It was a $250 car, so what could I do.. but all the same, it sucks when people do that crap. Too bad about the rental fee, but at least you're not out as much as you would have been!

Sounds almost as bad as mine... I flew to Idaho, from manitoba, back when I was looking for a Z. I found a 280Zt the guy said, no rust the car runs great, just needs some paint (all faded), interior. Ya I get there no problems see the car, look it over, everything is in order, no real rust. So I am like I wanna take it for a drive. I hop in and this thing runs like absolute ****... Quite undriveable. I had planned on driving it home. Ya so I like you ended up passing on the car. And flying home empty handed and pocketed...

Oh well was all for the better, a month later I came apon my 260. That was a much better expereance. Ended up borrowing my friend truck (Chev Full size 4x4) and a u-haul trailer (complete crap) and dragging it down to Denver, after work on a Friday and made it home for supper on Sunday with the car... The only bad is that my codriver and i had no sleep for 52hours... I will never do that again.

Guest Z Draci

It's really unfortunate that you had a bad experience.

Maybe I stole all your luck with my Z car findings.

I flew into Sacramento to buy my 240Z. It was exactly like advertised and the owner was very honest about everything. I like the car and owner so I paid him and drove it back down to Southern California.

I found my 280ZX turbo in San Diego too. I drove down with a friend and test drove the car. It idled rough (later fixed instantly with a can of Seafoam) but ran well. Well, the owner failed to tell me about the OVERHEATING problem. I asked him about it after seeing a water funnel in the hatch, but he denied it. I ended up buying a few gallons of water on my way home. Not a pefect experience, but not as bad as yours.

You just have to talk to the seller extensively. If he studders or delays any response to your questions, be aware! He may be covering something up or lying outright. Be prepared to expect the worse case scenario too. I had secondary plans for both of my long trips--visit friends at UCSF, party on a boat in San Diego. You just don't want to completely waste a long trip! Make some good out of it.

I guess I'll post Warrens' story for him:

He made arrangements to purchase a 280ZXT in the Pacific Northwest. It had checked out as a creampuff, so he flew in to pick it up from Atlanta, GA and the idiot totalled it right in front of him at the airport coming to deliver it!

Now I'm not sure about the totalled part, but he definitely couldn't drive it back to GA, and the whole front end was smashed - the idiot was showing off and couldn't stop fast enough and rear-ended the car in front of him. Then the idiot asks if he still wants the car at a discount price!

He had to staqy the night and get another one-way ticket back the next day at full price.