HybridZ

Another Carbon Fiber Hood

Bartman

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

check your pm box sparky, and why the hell do you never go on AIM anymore?

thanks for the Info Alex!

when I moved downtown I never transferred my internet or cable so I'm only online when I am at school and inbetween classes and the school network doesnt allow IM services to operate. plus I finally got my car back from paint yo! I spend all my time on school projects or trying to get my car back together again on table scraps and spare change.

Using a Unibit and a Roto Zip with a composite blade you should be able to cut the vent holes yourslef and buy the 280Z vents from MSA.

Hmmm? ....John, I don't think thats going to give a attractive finished edge once mounted. Not to mention when holes are relieved in Z hoods they loose some integrity in that static hold area.Granted several attatching points or Epoxy might stiffen it back up some....but not like a stair stepped flange would....Like in the factory hoods.

Not trying to burst anyones bubble......I've just seen alot of hacked up good intents gone wrong.Your not going to want to do this to a new hood.....I would think ?

JMHO.............Vinny 8)

I don't think thats going to give a attractive finished edge once mounted.

The plastic 280Z vent piece has a lip that will hide the cut edge. Also, I should have said "composite bit" for the Roto zip.

Not to mention when holes are relieved in Z hoods they loose some integrity in that static hold area.

That depends a whole lot on how the composite hood is made. I wouldn't cut a hole in a hodd that is a simple layup. If the hood has a core then it will retain plenty of strength. You might want to get some epoxy resin and seal the cut edges in the opening more as a waterproofing then anything else.

The plastic 280Z vent piece has a lip that will hide the cut edge. Also' date=' I should have said "composite bit" for the Roto zip.

That depends a whole lot on how the composite hood is made. I wouldn't cut a hole in a hodd that is a simple layup. If the hood has a core then it will retain plenty of strength. You might want to get some epoxy resin and seal the cut edges in the opening more as a waterproofing then anything else.[/quote']

Ahhh,yes I see what what you mean, John. I'll have to look mored closely at their vents design.

And yes.....if that hood has a good Honeycomb core I agree that it would remain quite stout...but not coremat only.I would see it eventually drooping and showing a low spot surrounding the vent......nasty IMHO.

Vinny 8)

• 6 months later...
How does the CF hood mount? Can I use the stock mount hardware and take off the spring bar and make it work? $415 is hard to beat. Please advise...

Terry

you just need to make the brackets to mount to stock hinges and then remove the spring bar and good to go

zfan - this is a stock type hood

just wondering how much if i stopped by to pick one up? i was planning on making my own but im like 40 mins away and id like to see some SR install work if youve got any going on. crashed my R6 so im selling the bike parts to get the SR.