HybridZ

Gearbox dimensions and interchange

Tim240z

What other gearboxes will bolt to the KA-24? Will the Z car box fit up? I am looking for something that is a good deal (4-6 inches) shorter from bellhousing to Shifter.....

and what is NAPZ when referring to the nissan pickups?

from a post I made a while ago when I was doing my KA tranny swap, the part numbers on the trans I'm talking about are ZL 71B #5...

I'd be willing to let go of it, if you are interested, but I'm not really sure what kind of shape it is in. I took the covers off to look at it, and it looked okay. No chipped gears or anything. It's been outside for a while now with the case still split, so it's probably a little rusty on the inside.

The FJ20 engine tilts to the left so its gearbox case is configured to suit that tilt. Internally they are much the same as say a 280ZX box. I'd guess that the internals would transfer to say a 280ZX case.

NAPS Z was the continuation of the L series 4 banger. They went from L20B to Naps Z22, then naps Z24. They used dual spark plug heads that apparently suck donkey balls, and it's actually better to use an L series head than the crossflow head on the "Nissan Anti Pollution System" engine.

I am 99% that the bellhousing is identical to the L, so any L series Nissan Z, 510, 200SX, truck, ZX transmission will fit but I think you probably already know that the truck and possibly the 510 are shorter transmissions.

General info on Naps Z:

http://www.nissantech.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t17.html

No, I thought the KA engine sat at a different angle than the L, so the bellhousings aren't swappable. Isn't that why the guys using the KA transmission on the L6 use the L bellhousing? I don't know much about the KA, but that's what I thought was correct... :? Might want to look up that KA transmission swap in the drivetrain forum. I think datsunlover wrote a post about that swap.