HybridZ

Anti-theft device

Phyxius

Hmmm, neat idea. One catch is to have a shifter stay strong enough...so how would the mechanism work and be up to par??? The idea is good, but I wonder what the execution would be like. Also to consider would be the shift boot and getting past that---it might be an issue if the detaching mechanism is inside the boot. Still the idea is intriguing.

Davy

I had a teacher in school show us just how easy it is to break the stock wheel lock mechanism. All he had to do was turn the wheel really hard and it broke. It was a late model Chevy of some sort(I cant remember what model though). So the wheel lock is hardly an anti theft device.

It would be pretty hard to drive though with out a stick to shift with! That with a quick release steering wheel would be great!

Guy

Not a bad idea. A pair of vice grips will steer a stolen car, but the theif might be totally unprepared for no shifter. Plus having a shifter come off while driving is not the safety issue a steering wheel would be.

Would also be smart to leave it in reverse instead of first.

Not sure how one would go about making a quick disconnect shifter that would be easy to reconnect and not be easily circumvented by just using a long screwdriver.

Just put a hidden shut off switch on the fuel pump, no gas no run. There was a guy that I talked to with a 911, carbed model, that was stolen more than once. He put a locking shut off valve in the fuel line. It was stolen again but was found in the middle of the street in front of his house.

At least here in the NYC area, it needs to be flat-bed proof. My friends Z was stolen and recovered a week later with the hidden kill switch still in the off position. It probably did 40-50 miles but never ran once. lol.

Removing the stick shift is a good idea. The more tricks you pull the less chance of getting stolen. I still like that beat-up-citation car cover from that car commercial...albeit computer generated.

well, why not cut the shifter off at the base, weld on some threaded tubing and the thread the shifter base, then you could simply unscrew the shifter and easily slide it up and out of the boot. the offset shifter might be tricky to maneuver at first, but once you get the hang of it, it should be a snap. all and all its an idea...and every little bit you can do will help prevent theft, although if somebody wants your car, they will take it no matter what.